Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:40:04 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: What is the most infuriating episode to you?  (Read 17616 times)

Knitting Machine

• Paid
  • Buried in Yarn
Monkey Moms was hilarious right up to the mutilation. Dang it, I just wanted to hear more people getting scammed because they wanted a pet monkey!
Amelia Blank Bodark CapitalN Really_Quite_Nice

John Toast

• The original Fat Voiceâ„¢
  • Ridiculist
  • Cover me in syrup. I'm delicious.
I made my grievances clear in the episode, but the people on the smokers episode really pissed me off. The episode itself is still pretty funny (especially my bits) but it just infuriated me that they were advocating and fetishizing excessive self harm because hey, it feels good dude!
Bodark Sherman Tank Really_Quite_Nice

Blandest

• Paid
  • Help! Cannot see! Can only smell!
The Unschooling moms. They are not only fucking themselves up, but fucking up children who don't know better.FattyBoBatty, May 25, 2016, 01:10:30 am

I disagree.

Most people remember almost nothing from their childhoods, and so I don't see the harm in letting your kids run around and do whatever.  I mean, it's clearly worse than actually trying to teach your children stuff.  But at least it's better than having an institution teach your kids that all learning is meaningless bullshit like K-12 education did for me.
Healslime, May 25, 2016, 07:21:22 pm

The fact that you can type out that sentence and have it make sense means that your education wasn't meaningless. It's basically child abuse to purposefully fuck your kid's life by not teaching them some fairly basic things like maths, a language, and general knowledge about the world.
sophrocynic RoeCocoa Fanzay Really_Quite_Nice CapitalN

moooo566 (taylor's version)

• Paid
A lot of shit you did in primary school stages is important. Sure, you did a lot of pointless shit, but you also learned things like maths and basic grammar, and even the pointless shit probably helped develop basic social skills. Even if you don't remember or use a lot of that stuff now, it's a useful stepping stone to the stuff you do use. Being able to communicate and write and solve problems are skills that take years of practice.

Homeschooling and even a small amount of unschooling style choice probably can work in the right environment, with the right direction from the parents. I do not trust those mums to be giving the right environment and direction.
RoeCocoa Kreega Really_Quite_Nice
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:18:27 pm by moooo566 »

Nikaer Drekin

• One-Man Nic Cage Fan Club
  • Paid
  • "My burrito is a big deal"
The Unschooling moms. They are not only fucking themselves up, but fucking up children who don't know better.FattyBoBatty, May 25, 2016, 01:10:30 am

I disagree.

Most people remember almost nothing from their childhoods, and so I don't see the harm in letting your kids run around and do whatever.  I mean, it's clearly worse than actually trying to teach your children stuff.  But at least it's better than having an institution teach your kids that all learning is meaningless bullshit like K-12 education did for me.
Healslime, May 25, 2016, 07:21:22 pm

The fact that you can type out that sentence and have it make sense means that your education wasn't meaningless. It's basically child abuse to purposefully fuck your kid's life by not teaching them some fairly basic things like maths, a language, and general knowledge about the world.
Blandest, May 26, 2016, 03:08:05 pm

Also, if your range of childhood experiences ONLY consists of watching cartoons and hanging out with your mom and/or dad, I have a feeling your social life might be pretty stunted after a while?

junior associate faguar

• Frankly, an unreasonable level of uguu~
  • Paid
I somehow survived being completely unschooled until I was like 13, and still homeschooled until my sophomore year of high school. I got in trouble as a kid because I asked my parents to get me math textbooks at one point, even. The only way that I can imagine that I didn't end up completely fucking retarded was that I just naturally gravitated to 'smart' things like programming and history, so I ended up learning the sorts of normal math and english in the best-case-possible situation; if I had been more into just playing Halo on Xbox Live and watching cartoons I could have easily ended up borderline illiterate and unable to do even basic arithmetic. I didn't even learn to write until I was ten or eleven, for shit's sake! I'm still struggling to get over the near-complete lack of basic social experience, as you can tell from the fact that I'm spending my time off sitting around posting on an internet forum.

Anyone who supports unschooling or honestly even homeschooling should at least have their kids taken away if not actually imprisoned.
Sherman Tank

Baldr

• Paid
The fact that you can type out that sentence and have it make sense means that your education wasn't meaningless.Blandest, May 26, 2016, 03:08:05 pm

I learned almost nothing about reading or writing from K-12.  My parents read to me as a kid, and then abruptly stopped.  They said, "Here's a book and if you want to know what the story's like then you have to read it yourself."  I remember throwing a giant temper tantrum, and then the book was still there when I finished.  So I started trying to read it.  Everything more or less worked itself out after that.  I was always better at reading than most of the people in my grade level.  No surprise given that my fellow students were being forced to read books that they hated, and I was reading for fun.  If you read enough it also gives you an instinctive sense of grammar.  As a kid I would always fail the parts of grammar exams that involved identifying a grammatical structure.  But I had no problems with finding errors in incorrect sentences or writing reasonably well.

I know that's just one anecdote and I think I can do better.  In the United States we have Sudbury schools, which allow students to learn whatever they want to learn whenever they feel ready.  It's sort of extreme-Montessori meets unschooling.  Those kids still all learn how to read and write.   

Even if you don't remember or use a lot of that stuff now, it's a useful stepping stone to the stuff you do use. Being able to communicate and write and solve problems are skills that take years of practice.moooo566, May 26, 2016, 03:56:03 pm

My reading of educational psychology leads me to believe that there's not a generalized problem solving or critical thinking skill.  Educational psychologists use the technical term "transfer of learning" to refer to what laymen would call critical thinking.  The lesson of the research on transfer of learning is that short jumps, which are referred to near transfer are possible.  Large jumps, or far transfer almost never happen.

I know that's kind of abstract, so here are some examples.  For near transfer, playing the piano transfers to the accordion, and ice skating transfers to roller skating.  Learning one skill helps you with the other when the skills are very similar.

For far transfer, Western Civilization taught all students Latin for several hundred years, on the grounds that learning Latin would make other languages easier to learn.  This has been experimentally disproven, but not before making generations of children miserable for absolutely no reason.  Similarly, when educational psychologists studied the effect of logic classes on reasoning they also found no change.  And then there's one of the weirder findings I've encountered, which is that students who take a Psychology class in high school do just as well in college Introductory Psychology as students who have never taken Psychology before.  I mean, those K-12 kids spent an entire semester learning Psychology, so you'd think they'd be better at it once they got to college, but they're not.

Also, if your range of childhood experiences ONLY consists of watching cartoons and hanging out with your mom and/or dad, I have a feeling your social life might be pretty stunted after a while?Nikaer Drekin, May 26, 2016, 03:57:35 pm

Yeah, obviously kids should be doing kid stuff with other kids.  But isolation isn't a necessary condition of homeschooling or unschooling.

I got in trouble as a kid because I asked my parents to get me math textbooks at one point, even.journeyman faguar, May 26, 2016, 04:07:47 pm

Okay, that's legitimately fucked and it wasn't what I had in mind when I mentioned unschooling.  I was thinking of something much more along the lines of the Waldorf model.  Actively stopping children from learning basic skills they've expressed an interest in is not what I'm arguing for.
chai tea latte Nifty Nif
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 04:16:38 pm by Healslime »

Fatty Bo Batty

• Adult Baby Protective Services Officer
  • Paid
  • Is good to make a posting
It's a good idea to teach kids that they will often have to do shit they don't want to do in order to survive.
Blandest Sherman Tank Dawnswalker Gyro Really_Quite_Nice CapitalN

goombapolice

• a muscular, cum producing MONSTER
  • Paid
Hot take: Unschooling or homeschooling your children without any supervision from a governing body should result in CPS taking your kids away.

Guess which episode mad me the most mad?

If there's an Fplus episode primarily about homeschool forums and the like I might burn the earth away in my rage
Sherman Tank Fanzay

SirSlarty

• Linda, where's my coffee!?
  • Paid
  • don't let's start
Creepy people.
169: I'm Gonna Cuddle Everybody In This Room
74: Our Love Doesn't Need A Third Dimension

How can these people function in the real world?

Nifty Nif

• Big Dumb Slimy Monster
  • Paid
  • powerful and can be dangreous
Creepy people.
169: I'm Gonna Cuddle Everybody In This Room
74: Our Love Doesn't Need A Third Dimension

How can these people function in the real world?
sirslarty, June 01, 2016, 09:14:02 pm

They don't. :(

I think there's a pretty big distinction between typical public K-12 (babysitting) and typical unschooling (when you forgot to hire a babysitter), and I don't think Healslime is advocating for the brand of unschooling portrayed in the episode. 

My take on it is that I got the most benefit out of 4 grades: K, and 10-12.  Kindergarten was rad because I got to interact with other kids; instilled in me a love of rules, respect, and order; and introduced me to a standard, a grading scale, and a personal standard that I liked to measure my own progress against.  I wouldn't say I learned anything, though.  I already knew how to read.  I was pretty good at it.  Social interaction was great, though.  Grades 1-9 were more or less a waste of time for me except for ~gifted classes~ which stopped after grade 5.  The schooling experience might have even reinforced the elitism I was already learning at home.  However, my parents did not want to homeschool me.  After elementary school I may have even been motivated to seek out my own curriculum and research the logistics, but Mom and Dad had purposely settled in a suburb with acceptably good public schools.
Grades 10-12 were also filled with busywork but I guess they were alright because I took AP classes.  I got to college just before administrators wised up and realized AP test scores are meaningless, so I got credit for all of them.  For reference, a 5 (top score on any AP exam) represents a score ranging anywhere from 100% to 60%.  A 4 is much worse--I believe the minimum score is around 40%  So I think I got obscene amounts of credit--over a year's worth--for 6 tests that I may have failed and 1 that I certainly failed.  I think these credits ultimately fulfilled a number of arbitrary requirements that I might have fulfilled anyway, because hippy-dippy liberal arts college requirements are also meaningless.  I guess it all evens out.
The only real benefit that I reaped from public school was from our exceptional string orchestra program.  However, I did not go on to become a professional musician.  I'd say the stress, anxiety, and monetary investment was a massive net loss.  If I had grown up without viola lessons, I may have even chosen a better college without a conservatory somewhere else in the country and I wouldn't be pigeonholed with a shit-tier salary and residual guilt from abandoning music.  I can't say for sure.

I don't think little Nif was like the kids that are unschooled in the episode, but also Mr. and Ms. Nif are not like those parents, either; they are similar in that they definitely don't want to teach a kid themselves, but my parents lean strongly towards the "lawful" side of the alignment chart.  I also got pushed around a lot in middle school, and public school fucking sucks.  Not every kid goes into public school knowing how to read, though.  Everyone's situation is different, and everyone's ideal is often different from what their actual is.

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
If I had the chance, I'd put the assholes responsible for the shit in the bottled water episode up against the wall before anyone else.

That probably says something bad about me.

Ambious

PUA's and MRA's.
Fuck their entire existence.
Yavuz A Meat Really_Quite_Nice CapitalN

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
PUA's and MRA's.
Fuck their entire existence.
Ambious, June 11, 2016, 06:35:46 pm

I'd still shoot the fucking Bling H2O fuckers first, but these would be next on my list.
Gyro

Gyro

• touched fuzzy, got dizzy
  • Paid
I have to jump on the bandwagon and say it's the redpill / PUA people. We should stuff Roosh V and Davis Aurini into a nuclear waste storage facility, where they belong.

Hot take: Unschooling or homeschooling your children without any supervision from a governing body should result in CPS taking your kids away.

Guess which episode mad me the most mad?

If there's an Fplus episode primarily about homeschool forums and the like I might burn the earth away in my rage
goombapolice, May 27, 2016, 08:57:24 am

I don't think homeschooling should be tarred with the same brush as unschooling, since in one case at least you tried to educate your children and in another case it's all magical rainbows and pixie farts and now your kid is retarded whoopee~

Hey, I was homeschooled grades 2-8, and look how I turned out?

Wait.

:C