Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:09:16 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Episode 143: Harry Potter and the Weekend Seminar  (Read 22037 times)

Sovereign

• Self-proclaimed writer
  • Paid
  • none pizza left beef
I just tried searching for some sort of online discussion of ASMR on forums or something, but I didn't really find anything beyond either people asking "What's ASMR?" or "Isn't ASMR awesome?" I'm going to guess most of it is just Youtube based and therefore unfit for F+.
A Meat, July 20, 2014, 04:05:33 am
Now we wait for one of those people to go rogue and create a blog filled with nutty tirades about the government and water.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Now we wait for one of those people to go rogue and create a blog filled with nutty tirades about the government and water.Sovereign, July 20, 2014, 04:49:58 am

Even better, nutty tirades about the government and water whispered into a binaural microphone. It could be called the Crazy Homeless Man Role-Playing ASMR video series.

Bobalay

• FORUMS MEMBER
  • Paid
  • is made of 50 unbreakable g-strings
Himalayan Singing Bowls are an actual thing, but it's just a fancy title for "a bell that sounds nice." They're a great meditation aid but that's about it.

Tiny Prancer

• Tiny and angry
  • Paid
  • please be more respectable to physics
I am about halfway through this episode and I have to report that even as someone who grew up with new age stuff and personally got fairly obsessed with it during a few years of my teenhood, this shit still doesn't make a lot of sense.

For reference, stuff I recognized as being common were the "surrounding negative energy/things with white light and cleansing it/sending the negative energy to somewhere else to be cleansed/discarded", claiming you can communicate with animals spiritually, the "spiritually healing the land/an animal/a thing in general" practices, and obviously the millions of workshops or special cleansing ceremonies for ridiculous prices. The incredibly long list of specific rituals you CONSTANTLY have to do is another pretty common thing.

I can't say I had much experience with the whole channeling dragons and using comic book characters as spiritual guides stuff, but I'm absolutely certain it's more common than what I experienced. I know I read through a certain amount of guidebooks about speaking with faeries and star people for guidance. I think the "use fictional characters for spiritual guides" thing was more commonly used as a talking point for what could be learned from them or whatever but then again, not what I experienced. Being dragonkin is also not something I ever heard come up, but there's plenty of "in a past life I was native american/asian/celtic/a fairy/a dragon/an elf/etc so I have spiritual experience from those past lives and/or I channel them and also various gods" stuff.

The "Christians are spiritually attacking me/my friend's land/the country" thing is something I've NEVER heard before now. Admittedly my experience wasn't a full-on pagan thing, more that my mom casually dabbled in various new age shit and my family attended a Unitarian Universalist church so there was still some Christianity involved. The persecution complex about Christians not liking you, sure, that I've seen, but insisting that they were spiritually attacking you with "prayer bombs"? That's totally new to me. It also sounds like it's veering into the area of mental illness more than this lady wants to believe (and it wouldn't be surprising, since new age stuff has a tendency to attract people with mental issues because it's all rituals and rules and shiny things.)

Using a shitty plastic children's wand is also something I haven't heard of much, although "use what you have available" is a common encouragement, although you'll still be recommended to buy expensive native american/asian/celtic/etc-related things to use for worship and ceremony.

I'm pretty sure the rise of the internet has allowed for a lot of new and questionable new age practices to pop up in ways they never could before, because now people can make websites and talk on forums to other likeminded people and convince each other that what they're doing is totally real and important.
hautecouture

Ike

• Paid
  • these colors keep me awake at night
Himalayan Singing Bowls are an actual thing, but it's just a fancy title for "a bell that sounds nice." They're a great meditation aid but that's about it.
Bobalay, July 20, 2014, 01:43:46 pm

Actually, the bowls are cool for how they're tuned into harmonic frequencies, which is what gives them that "pure" sound that New Agey types rave about. I have one and I play with it a lot.