Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:07:23 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin  (Read 31155 times)

count_actuala

• Real VamPire
  • Paid
  • Do you tend to get a high from human blood?
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #30
The most hilarious examples I've found since I started reading the whole blog are the people disregarding their mystical spirit self's mythos-established food preferences. Kitsune are traditionally considered to like sweetened red beans and have an association with rice, but fuck it, those foods don't make every shit you take a life-changing five alarm emergency.

At this point all you're doing is justifying eating excessive amounts of popcorn chicken, and only to yourself, which is a baffling endeavor.

positive stress

• your favorite cool pizza star
  • Paid
  • beep beep ribby ribby
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #31
This all makes sense when you frame it as a bunch of teenagers looking for an excuse to exclusively eat junk food

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #32
Otherkin make me sad, since to me it just says that they either don't know how to stop bullshitting and lying, or that they don't have anybody they know or are close with that they think would accept their real selves without judgement or prejudice. So instead of going "I'm a 20 year old nerd with nerd interests" they go "I'm a 20 year old super special onion with an infinite number of layers to peel, isn't that exciting?!", which results in them building relationships on false pretense and make believe instead of what's already there.

Not to mention the oppression piggybacking that many otherkin seem to be engaging in, which is just despicable and vile, but still makes me sad, since it's all just for attention.

Puppy Time

• Rainbow Brownshirt
  • Paid
  • AND THEN THEY'LL HAVE A DONKEY HEAD!
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #33
This all makes sense when you frame it as a bunch of teenagers looking for an excuse to exclusively eat junk food
fifty cents, December 28, 2014, 11:49:26 pm

Except the pine needle tea and the worms.

I feel like it's less looking for an excuse, and more people who already mainly eat junk food having a miniscule reference pool.

Also, as someone who, as a dumbass kid, would've been into this stuff if I'd had tumblr at the time, most of it is just kids trying to deal with internal issues and a sense of not belonging.  It's a lot easier to deal with loneliness and being terminally weird and awkward when it's because you're secretly a super awesome thing that's cool, especially when there's a group of like-minded outcasts who accept you and get your jokes and think you're neat (as long as you all reinforce each other's delusions).  Otherwise, your choices are narrowed to "I'm fundamentally broken and will never be happy because I'm not like other humans," or, "the fundamental assumptions I've built my social interaction around are broken, and now I have to relearn how to human from step 1, and will never be happy because I won't be at the same level as my peer group ever."

Honestly, I doubt most of the people involved in otherkin will sustain their silliness past early adulthood.  A lot of it is just conformity with a social group; once they've got better access to multiple social circles, they'll be a little less inclined to keep up the delusion solely for the sake of not being alone.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 01:06:43 am by Puppy Time »

Ashto

• Paid
  • I don't even know anymore
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #34
In defense of the pine needle tea, I have to point out that its use predates the tumblr generation. If I recall correctly, Native American tribes were among the first to brew it, and it has some surprisingly nutritional benefits.

Does any of this excuse the otherkin who try to alter their diet in an attempt to match their animals? Or course it fucking doesn't. Especially since I'm not aware of any animals who know how to boil water.

Mister Smalls

• Steampunk Evita original cast member
  • Paid
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #35
Basically everything about Kin Food is cheating.  Even if we accept the idea that somebody might be a badger in their soul, why can't they just eat fucking worms?  You have two options: eat worms, or don't.  Don't bake up a fucking gummy worm casserole and say "oh this is so good, it's just like what my soul animal would eat".

Tiny Prancer

• Tiny and angry
  • Paid
  • please be more respectable to physics
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #36
I guess they never read this

(on a vaguely related note, I remember reading this book and Superfudge in grade school and both involved people eating worms. Was there some sort of weird fad thing with worms in the 70s-80s? I wonder about this sometimes.)
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

scratchohey

• Bird Ghost
  • Paid
  • Break c'mon OOH
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #37
(on a vaguely related note, I remember reading this book and Superfudge in grade school and both involved people eating worms. Was there some sort of weird fad thing with worms in the 70s-80s? I wonder about this sometimes.)
Tiny Prancer, December 29, 2014, 03:09:44 am
This is what kids did to each other for fun back then. Double daring your friend to eat a worm was basically the original version of doxxing them or, I don't know, posting a fake coming-out letter on their wall when they forget to log out of facebook?

Source: I am an expert on this topic
Lemon

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #38
I doxx my friends as a prank all the time

Tiny Prancer

• Tiny and angry
  • Paid
  • please be more respectable to physics
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #39
This is what kids did to each other for fun back then. Double daring your friend to eat a worm was basically the original version of doxxing them or, I don't know, posting a fake coming-out letter on their wall when they forget to log out of facebook?

scratchohey, December 29, 2014, 07:10:22 am

The context of it in Superfudge is that there was a neighbor lady of the family in the book who would pay for kids to bring her worms and when asked if she ate them she not only said that she did but that she did it specifically because worms were a good source of protein. she was also treated as a very nice and reasonable woman within the story and not some batshit insane person.

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #40

scratchohey, December 29, 2014, 07:10:22 am

The context of it in Superfudge is that there was a neighbor lady of the family in the book who would pay for kids to bring her worms and when asked if she ate them she not only said that she did but that she did it specifically because worms were a good source of protein. she was also treated as a very nice and reasonable woman within the story and not some batshit insane person.
Tiny Prancer, December 29, 2014, 09:31:24 am
Those fudge books are pretty chock full of crazy stuff.

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #41
Especially since I'm not aware of any animals who know how to boil water.
Ashto, December 29, 2014, 01:00:11 am

Then how do you explain apes having bread as a primary food source?

Sherlockian

• Library handwriting. Indexing. Abstracting. Alphabetizing. Filing.
  • Paid
  • File under Z695.95 S54
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #42
In defense of the pine needle tea, I have to point out that its use predates the tumblr generation. If I recall correctly, Native American tribes were among the first to brew it, and it has some surprisingly nutritional benefits.

Does any of this excuse the otherkin who try to alter their diet in an attempt to match their animals? Or course it fucking doesn't. Especially since I'm not aware of any animals who know how to boil water.
Ashto, December 29, 2014, 01:00:11 am

Similarly, there are plenty of communities around the world that treat eating insects as a fairly normal thing-- they're inexpensive, ubiquitous and full of protein, so for a community that prefers those sorts of qualities in their food, roasting crickets is totally a thing.  I mean, hell, Westerners eat arthropods all the fucking time. It's just the land-dwelling bugs we don't like (unless you're a hipster or into haute cuisine).

But otherkin are dumb.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #43
Similarly, there are plenty of communities around the world that treat eating insects as a fairly normal thing-- they're inexpensive, ubiquitous and full of protein, so for a community that prefers those sorts of qualities in their food, roasting crickets is totally a thing.  I mean, hell, Westerners eat arthropods all the fucking time. It's just the land-dwelling bugs we don't like (unless you're a hipster or into haute cuisine).

But otherkin are dumb.
Sherlatke, December 29, 2014, 01:46:57 pm

"Pfft, I don't eat lobster, that's what my well-off yet absent parents eat at their so-called 'client dinners' or whatever and like hell am I gonna be like them!"

count_actuala

• Real VamPire
  • Paid
  • Do you tend to get a high from human blood?
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #44
I'm gonna cook a sickass hamburger and fries with a side salad while I listen to this again.