Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:13:40 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Episode 129: You May Now Fistbump The Spouse  (Read 18079 times)

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Episode 129: You May Now Fistbump The Spouse
with Boots Raingear, Jack Chick, Victor Laszlo, Frank West, and Lemon.

Content for this episode was compiled by Cheapskate (Cheapskate Reviews Free Media)

Edited by Boots Raingear.

As social mores have changed in the past century, the wedding has evolved dramatically. No longer is it a dogmatic ceremony of tradition, but it can be a celebration of love, community and family. Or it can simply be a fun party. Or, with the internet's help, it could just be another vain blog entry where you explain to a hostaged crowd what a special snowflake you are. This week, The F Plus can't stop laughing (our tongues turned blue!)

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked
Episode 129: You May Now Fistbump The Spouse #1
Western culture is dead.

Good Ol Cburgs

• Squaa~dah~lah~!
  • Paid
  • I'm a thief
Episode 129: You May Now Fistbump The Spouse #2
That wedding RPG mentioned in the episode is literally a four-hundred meg download. I'll be sure to deliver a trip report.
Lemon crow chai tea latte

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
Episode 129: You May Now Fistbump The Spouse #3
Oh fine. God fucking damn it, the things I do for you people.

I'll try to take screenshots.
Boots Raingear nilvoid Good Ol Cburgs Navigator
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:13:34 pm by Runic »

cyclopeantrash

• Aspergers Unto Death
  • Paid
  • High velocity man-hatred fired at everything
Episode 129: You May Now Fistbump The Spouse #4
Western culture is dead.
Smoking Crow, February 25, 2014, 09:57:12 pm

Not yet. It hasn't suffered enough to be given that privilege.

I'm fully surprised there weren't any brony wedding ceremonies on that site.

That aside this is one of the best episodes yet.

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked
Episode 129: You May Now Fistbump The Spouse #5
Western culture is dead.
Smoking Crow, February 25, 2014, 09:57:12 pm

Not yet. It hasn't suffered enough to be given that privilege.

I'm fully surprised there weren't any brony wedding ceremonies on that site.
MicroMissles, February 25, 2014, 11:19:26 pm

Oh god, i hope there is a my little pony friendship is pagan hooffasting ceremony

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Episode 129: You May Now Fistbump The Spouse #6
I couldn't find a hoffasting ceremony anywhere online, and a search for "brony" on offbeatbride yielded only one false positive. That said, I'm really glad you guys did this episode, because I love this site.

Both Aaron and I have many interests, so it was helpful to narrow down the theme to things that both of us enjoy equally: steampunk and Muppets. Aaron and the groomsmen adopted a Western/science fiction look to compliment the style of my dress, and my parents both attended in steampunk outfits they designed. We handed out spin drums instead of rice, used cue cards inspired by Stephen Colbert's "The Wørd" to entertain our guests while we exchanged private vows, and had a fabulous Muppet wedding cake.
Aaron is an artist and amateur blacksmith, and he made goggles for the entire wedding party, as well as ray guns (some of which fired LED "bullets"), and flame-powered centerpieces.

I also actually kind of like this wedding between two electrical engineers. Parts of it are just super tacky, though (that fucking wish fountain).

e: I'm actually kind of astonished at how boring the lesbian polyamorous wedding turned out to be.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:07:46 am by kal-elk »

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat
Episode 129: You May Now Fistbump The Spouse #7
Damn, only one actual result for Metal Gear

http://offbeatbride.com/2013/07/uk-gothic-fairytale-wedding#.Uw3KDoWpcaA

Adam and I consider ourselves to be film buffs and we love film quotes. We worked these into our theme with cupcake flags featuring a quote from our favourite films, and tables named after planets from various films and TV programmes! Our stationery font was from The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Tell us about the ceremony: I walked down the aisle to the theme from the video game Metal Gear Solid. My brother read Shakespeare's Sonnet 116.

to top this off, here are the toasting glasses they used:

edit: I bet this will not offend your elderly Jewish grandmother who just wants you and your bride to have a good old-fashioned Jewish wedding.
http://offbeatbride.com/2012/10/offbeat-yarmulkes#.Uw3M0oWpcaA
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:18:14 am by A Meat »

advancedclass

• Paid
Episode 129: You May Now Fistbump The Spouse #8
I feel cheated on the Twin Peaks wedding. That awful Log Marketing Lady officiator/planner mentioned the /movie/ and I want the full traumatic experience of Ray Wise tying up the bride and groom in a train car ceremony with masks and monkey shrieks and a David Bowie cameo. You disappoint in so many ways, offbeatbride.com.

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
Episode 129: You May Now Fistbump The Spouse #9
The wedding RPG is not very good.

Just an FYI to anyone else who d/l's it and attempts to play it.

Down10

• Square Pusher
  • Paid
Episode 129: You May Now Fistbump The Spouse #10
Special Snowflakes + Nerd Interests – Good Taste = Theme Weddings

The most notorious example of this was Sean Parker's $10 million LOTR-themed wedding last year.

Moriarty

• Paid
Episode 129: You May Now Fistbump The Spouse #11
The wedding RPG is not very good.

Just an FYI to anyone else who d/l's it and attempts to play it.
jack-chick, February 26, 2014, 11:59:20 am

I gave up within about a minute of playing.

Geremy Tibbles

• Liquor Dragon
  • Paid
  • DIS GENERATION
Episode 129: You May Now Fistbump The Spouse #12
10 points to Frank West for referencing Fire Pro.

Tiny Prancer

• Tiny and angry
  • Paid
  • please be more respectable to physics
Episode 129: You May Now Fistbump The Spouse #13
I feel cheated on the Twin Peaks wedding. That awful Log Marketing Lady officiator/planner mentioned the /movie/ and I want the full traumatic experience of Ray Wise tying up the bride and groom in a train car ceremony with masks and monkey shrieks and a David Bowie cameo. You disappoint in so many ways, offbeatbride.com.
advancedclass, February 26, 2014, 11:54:03 am

If you have a David Lynch-themed wedding in general and it fails to make all who attend it unsettled and unsure of themselves then you did a fucking shit job

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Episode 129: You May Now Fistbump The Spouse #14
I'm cross-posting my thoughts from the SA thread, in response to some people commenting about how the readers didn't seem able to work out what made the material all that bad.

I spoke to this a little bit in the episode comments already, but I'll speak to it here too. It's hard to articulate what makes someone cringe over the material, true, but here's what I came up with after giving it a think:

These tryhard gimmick nerd weddings exploit the social contract. A wedding is an event that people take off work for. It's an event people will fly hundreds of miles to attend. It's an event that generally reflects poorly on someone who turns down the invitation for non-essential reasons. Perhaps it's done so subconsciously, but these people picked up on the fact that a wedding provides not only a captive audience, but a captive audience expected to show an outward appearance of enjoying themselves and approving of the proceedings. Top it off with an event that's all about them, and you have a geeky fringe-appeal party legitimized by the broader social acceptance of the wedding part of it. A couple of the ones read about in the episode hardly seemed like weddings at all, like the wedding part was an afterthought to all the shit they actually wanted to do. The Harry Potter/ren-fair one illustrated this particularly well.

So now you have an event where 58-year-old Aunt Miriam is wearing a top hat with gears glued on it and drinking from a Mega Man E-tank mug while Uncle Bill is passed a microphone and feels pressure to talk about how awesome the bride and groom are even though the officiant already did so for a half hour at the ceremony (while dressed as Chris Redfield). It feels less like a wedding at that point and more like a micro-convention that two people successfully guilted their friends and family into populating.
One Of The Crappy Pokemon That Nobody Likes Courtesy Bee