Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:27:34 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Episode 153: What A Rip Off  (Read 16579 times)

Navigator

• Currently Sitting Way Too Close to a Toaster
  • Paid
  • I live inside of a tree and I don't need anybody.
Episode 153: What A Rip Off #15
I completely fucking believe the snobby clown review was from NYC. Jesus christ.

Lady Frenzy

• ride junk ride drunk
  • Paid
  • Doctor doctor, I've got the lady frenzy
Episode 153: What A Rip Off #16
Just wanted to add: back when Mad About You was still on TV, someone I know ran a Helen Hunt fan site and had an ongoing turf war with another Helen Hunt fan site. The Cate Blanchett forums report makes me wonder if this is a common thing.

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Episode 153: What A Rip Off #17
Just wanted to add: back when Mad About You was still on TV, someone I know ran a Helen Hunt fan site and had an ongoing turf war with another Helen Hunt fan site. The Cate Blanchett forums report makes me wonder if this is a common thing.
Lady Frenzy, November 03, 2014, 06:24:40 pm

Yes. I know two Harry Potter fansites dedicated to the same actor had a huge feud going on a few years ago. One of the webmasters called the other one's work and tried to get them fired.

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Episode 153: What A Rip Off #18
I'm really surprised to learn that more than one person would like Helen Hunt.

chases parked cars

• licensed furaffinity inspector
  • Paid
  • Can I interest you in a $3 warranty?
Episode 153: What A Rip Off #19
Lady Frenzy, November 03, 2014, 06:24:40 pm

Yes. I know two Harry Potter fansites dedicated to the same actor had a huge feud going on a few years ago. One of the webmasters called the other one's work and tried to get them fired.
montrith, November 03, 2014, 06:45:37 pm

I think my favorite Harry Potter fandom shitstorm will forever be that one about the popular fanfiction author lady who plagiarized like 75% of her story and the ensuing fallout once everyone found out. That one also featured quite a bit of yelling back and forth between similar fansites. Stalking and criminal lawsuits were involved.

Tiny Prancer

• Tiny and angry
  • Paid
  • please be more respectable to physics
Episode 153: What A Rip Off #20
Plus said lady did the whole "take your fanfiction and change the names and some details and get a publishing deal out of it" thing ala E.L.James. Ever heard of Cassandra Clare? That's her. I know there was another amazing fandom turf war in the HP crowd involving a lady who was hardcore Harry/Hermione and was involved with some serious harassment/sockpuppeting campaigns, and literally the only thing that ended her reign was Rowling declaring Harry/Ginny cannon. I know there's some rundowns of both things that someone put up on LJ, not sure if I can find them though.

I'm glad I didn't understand the internet as well during the time I was obsessed with Harry Potter because hoo boy did I ever dodge a bullet.

goombapolice

• a muscular, cum producing MONSTER
  • Paid
Episode 153: What A Rip Off #21
I know there was another amazing fandom turf war in the HP crowd involving a lady who was hardcore Harry/Hermione and was involved with some serious harassment/sockpuppeting campaigns, and literally the only thing that ended her reign was Rowling declaring Harry/Ginny cannon.
Tiny Prancer, November 04, 2014, 03:03:06 am

How in the fuck can you care about a thing like this so much?

Sherlockian

• Library handwriting. Indexing. Abstracting. Alphabetizing. Filing.
  • Paid
  • File under Z695.95 S54
Episode 153: What A Rip Off #22
Plus said lady did the whole "take your fanfiction and change the names and some details and get a publishing deal out of it" thing ala E.L.James. Ever heard of Cassandra Clare? That's her. I know there was another amazing fandom turf war in the HP crowd involving a lady who was hardcore Harry/Hermione and was involved with some serious harassment/sockpuppeting campaigns, and literally the only thing that ended her reign was Rowling declaring Harry/Ginny cannon. I know there's some rundowns of both things that someone put up on LJ, not sure if I can find them though.

I'm glad I didn't understand the internet as well during the time I was obsessed with Harry Potter because hoo boy did I ever dodge a bullet.

The Harry Potter fandom wank was beautiful. I used to haunt Fandom_Wank on Journalfen-- it was like F Plus, only even more pointless.

I think what you're thinking of Ms Scribe, though:
Fanlore Wiki: The MsScribe Story
The Ms.Scribe Story: An Unauthorized Fandom Biography, Table of Contents

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Episode 153: What A Rip Off #23
While we're at it, y'all remember sf_drama, right? god what a terrible and great place
chases parked cars

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked
Episode 153: What A Rip Off #24
I know there was another amazing fandom turf war in the HP crowd involving a lady who was hardcore Harry/Hermione and was involved with some serious harassment/sockpuppeting campaigns, and literally the only thing that ended her reign was Rowling declaring Harry/Ginny cannon.

How in the fuck can you care about a thing like this so much?
goombapolice, November 04, 2014, 07:11:38 am

Magic.

One Of The Crappy Pokemon That Nobody Likes

• Oh no it's the "The-World-Owes-Me-A-Living Lads"!!
  • Ridiculist
  • RARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARR
Episode 153: What A Rip Off #25
Yeah, that "Mortal Instruments" series is literally just Harry Potter fanfic with the names changed. If I rightly recall, I think the author (or one of her friends, who gives a shit since they're all basically the same person anyway) at one point also tried to sell a smaller story series. It was hilarious because the premise was "okay so like, imagine if there was like... a guy, right? And he wanted to save the world but then someone ELSE who was like, the chosen one... right... well like that OTHER guy saved the world and he was super upset about it! And they get together and make out and feel better!" and it was very obviously some Harry Potter shit with new names and all the context removed. I loved reading the pitch because it just underlined how fanfiction completely needs the backbone of someone else's world- and character-building to support itself. Without it, you get a lot vague preamble and characters we don't know or care about.

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Episode 153: What A Rip Off #26
The only thing you need to do to see how terrible Mortal Instruments is is just to read the Wikipedia page for it.

Clarissa "Clary" Adele Fray (also referred to as Fairchild and Morgenstern) is the sister of Jonathan Morgenstern and daughter of Valentine Morgenstern and Jocelyn Fairchild, who, to protect Clary, changes her last name to Fray. She is described as having long, curly red hair, freckles and bright green eyes. She is very small and thin and often viewed as younger than she actually is. Clary is an artist, and in the first book, City of Bones, she believes she is a mundane, a human without angelic powers. It is later revealed she is in fact a Shadowhunter, a human with angelic qualities. Clary is described as being very stubborn and often rushes into dangerous situations without thinking about the consequences. Her best friend in the series is Simon Lewis who is in love with her; however, she is dating Jace. She is devastated when she learns the fact that the boy she loves is actually her supposed brother but later learns that it's not true. Soon a new power is revealed, she can read ancient runes, used by angels, and create her own runes, caused by the extra angel blood she received from Valentine when she was in her mother's womb.

Magnus Bane is the High Warlock of Brooklyn. Magnus is an age-is-kinda-fuzzy-but-somewhere-around-800-year-old warlock who appears 19. He is tall and thin with Asian features, jet black hair, and amber and green cat eyes. Magnus Bane is often described to wear glitter and throws countless parties with Shadowhunters and downworlders. Magnus begins a relationship with Alec Lightwood, therefore he feels obliged to become the New York Shadowhunters' "pet" warlock in order to impress Alec. Magnus appears in the prequel to The Mortal Instruments—The Infernal Devices—and there is a series of 10 short stories describing some of the events that occurred in Magnus Bane's long life titled The Bane Chronicles.

Tiny Prancer

• Tiny and angry
  • Paid
  • please be more respectable to physics
Episode 153: What A Rip Off #27

The Harry Potter fandom wank was beautiful. I used to haunt Fandom_Wank on Journalfen-- it was like F Plus, only even more pointless.

I think what you're thinking of Ms Scribe, though:
Fanlore Wiki: The MsScribe Story
The Ms.Scribe Story: An Unauthorized Fandom Biography, Table of Contents
Werelockian, November 04, 2014, 12:33:58 pm

Yup, that's the lady I was thinking of. I have a terrible weakness for horrible bullshit internet drama. That's why I listen to this podcast, after all.

Lady Frenzy

• ride junk ride drunk
  • Paid
  • Doctor doctor, I've got the lady frenzy
Episode 153: What A Rip Off #28
Cassandra Clare's Wikipedia page mentions nothing about how she grew to fame through her Harry Potter fanfics, or her plagiarism. There's some arguing going on in the Talk page about it. Seems like Wikipedia editors won't allow that information in the article because there's no explicit evidence that the Mortal Instruments Cassandra Clare is the same as the Harry Potter Cassandra Clare?

Ambious

Episode 153: What A Rip Off #29
Isn't having a 'Psychic' section in a ripoff report website kind of redundant?