Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:38:47 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Episode 146: Don't Patreonize Me  (Read 35680 times)

Mister Smalls

• Steampunk Evita original cast member
  • Paid
Episode 146: Don't Patreonize Me #15
I actually looked around on Go Fund Me. That one will be a tough nut, since a lot of them are about needing to pay medical bills, funeral costs, and disabled living modifications.
FattyBoBatty, August 03, 2014, 05:42:25 am

Yeah, Go Fund Me is explicitly a charity site.  I don't think anybody goes into Go Fund Me with the idea of getting something in return for their donation.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Episode 146: Don't Patreonize Me #16
The only way a GoFundMe episode would fly is if the subjects are unabashedly using it for selfish purposes.

Yossarian

• Sophisticated Sophistry
  • Paid
  • No one tell Hitler!
Episode 146: Don't Patreonize Me #17
I checked that site out a few months ago doing some research for a project and noticed there were a bunch of local listings from the catholic church on campus. I guess a dozen people all got the idea to ask Go Fund Me independently or in groups of 2 or three to give them money so they could go on a spring break field trip to see the pope make some speech. Most of the descriptions were copy pasted things about how important it is that they ~grow spiritually by seeing the holy ceremony of somethingorother~. I'm not mocking Catholicism here. I'm mocking the rich as fuck campus church telling their rich as fuck youth to beg for money online, and that none of them had the sense to make a real personal appeal.

Down10

• Square Pusher
  • Paid
Episode 146: Don't Patreonize Me #18
I was ready to do a GoFundMe doc, but I couldn't find enough meaty material to make for a solid podcast. It's the least verbal of the funding sites, and from my perusal, there wasn't enough examples to make for a complete episode.

Also, there are some genuinely hard luck cases on there, and it made me feel bad for attempting to find humor amongst them.

Fatty Bo Batty

• Adult Baby Protective Services Officer
  • Paid
  • Is good to make a posting
Episode 146: Don't Patreonize Me #19
While Go Fund Me is a no go, here's Thunderclap. It's basically Kickstarter: Tumblr Edition. Complete with "Signal Boosting."
SHAMBA~1.SBB

nigeline

• Willy Dang Doodle
  • Paid
  • All you do is dump
Episode 146: Don't Patreonize Me #20
While Go Fund Me is a no go, here's Thunderclap. It's basically Kickstarter: Tumblr Edition. Complete with "Signal Boosting."
FattyBoBatty, August 03, 2014, 03:17:54 pm
Wow, this is incredibly stupid.

Adam Bozarth

• Your friend on the internet
  • Ridiculist
  • [File Photo]
Episode 146: Don't Patreonize Me #21
Just read the discussion on SA, and it made me remember why I stopped posting there. So much grandstanding and post shaming disguised as conversation.

The instigators keep saying it wasn't all that funny, but not all of it is supposed to be. And if they don't find it funny, they probably have never sunk all their money into a creative pursuit because they had to. Their defensive stance reeks of someone who probably gives a lot of expendable income to artists and creators on the internet. That's a good thing! We need those!

But the clear stance the episode takes is that there is no shortcut to quitting your job and becoming self-sustaining. You have to work your ass off, sacrifice a lot of fun to pay for your projects, and make sure they get seen. Maybe if you don't live that life, or know a lot of people personally who do, then this one isn't for you.

And fuck 'em if they can't take a joke. It's hysterical that someone would be offended at the subject matter of an episode full of dorks who want money for the privilege to write and draw for the world. This show is so offensive and gross and scummy, but untalented hacks wanting the internet to pay their rent on a monthly basis is a step too far?

I really like it when I see listeners say "Oh, no, this one might be a bit too much for me, but I'll listen anyway..." Instead of making a stink about hating the idea of an episode and verbosely criticizing the show without listening. The people who feel that personal apprehension and listen are the kind of people who really learn and grow in this world.

Anyway, enough grandstanding and post-shaming. Give me money.
strifeheart Isfahan Sherman Tank

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Episode 146: Don't Patreonize Me #22
Wait wait wait. What's this about a bitcoin only Kickstarter clone?

Incidentally, if you want to find something stupid on GoFundMe you should check out the "Creative" and "Other" sections.

Save the Dallas Commune!

So we ran into some snags setting this thing up. Our "comrades" decided that hard drugs were more important than moving forward with our beautiful vision of an anarchist-activist space in Dallas.

With your donations we will have the breathing room needed to begin our journey together!

"Gimme money so I can give money to Rob Zombie Kickstarter."

http://www.gofundme.com/ci1tnc

"Can we biologically extend the range of human vision into the near infrared?"

http://www.gofundme.com/6hhs5o

"The following are Canadian Operrrratives that have infiltrated our government."

http://www.gofundme.com/wellaware1

"Cosplay Documentation with Google Glass "

http://www.gofundme.com/32tkt0

Cat Planet

• Autosexual Lithromantic
  • Paid
Episode 146: Don't Patreonize Me #23
I think that the part that made everyone angry was the entitlement, and the assumption among these people that they are God's gift to the world. Someone on SA has accused the podcast of making a "bootstraps" argument, without realizing that there is nothing wrong with it in this case. The "invisible hand" libertarian philosophy is bullshit when applied to things society actually needs, however it is spot on when it comes to arts and entertainment. No one needs to be an artist. With Web 2.0, if you're good at what you do you eventually will get noticed and find a job or commission work. You just have to try, or have something innovative. This is not the 19th century when you had to keep blowing a gallery curator for several years for a chance of having your work exhibited.

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Episode 146: Don't Patreonize Me #24
"Gimme money so I can give money to Rob Zombie Kickstarter."
http://www.gofundme.com/ci1tnc
montrith, August 04, 2014, 11:08:12 am

This is such a mindfuck. Rob Zombie has a page on something called FanBacked to raise money for a fucking terrible looking movie which is pretty much the plot of the game Manhunt. How much money does he need? How much money did he get?  None of your fucking business!

Meanwhile, William Bell noticed there's a $5,000 tier to be an extra in this terrible looking movie, so Bill wants you to give him $5,000 so he can give $5,000 to Rob Zombie. Also:

There was a great question asked earlier. The question was, "What happens if I don't reach the goal"? If we get close to goal, we'll make up the difference and press on. If it's not even close, we'll split the total 50/50 to two charities, I was thinking Fisher House to take care of the military folks and veterans, and Scares that Care for the horror folks that contributed to my endeavor. I'm not sure if there is a way to refund people's money once they donate, so that is Plan B.William Bell

Also while we're at it, Rob Zombie hates these damn kids.

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
Episode 146: Don't Patreonize Me #25
Wait wait wait. What's this about a bitcoin only Kickstarter clone?montrith, August 04, 2014, 11:08:12 am

What's this about two bitcoin only kickstarter clones?

https://bitcoinstarter.com/

Revenge Doll Ltd. is registered trademark since year 2013. We are from small country called Bulgaria. Before 1 year we start to produce a revolutionary Revenge Doll (RDoll) VooDoo Dolls, after we grab the attention of Bulgarian media and newspapers we finally decide to step on the world market with our new world models. At this moment we have about 10 models and we promise to release a new one every week.We just pick an average size villain/asshole* mix him with a little bit of mediocre humor and the result is a small voodoo doll that makes us smile every time we look at it. You finally have the chance to take revenge on the people you don't like as you hang them in you car/office or stick some voodoo needles in their body.*Any resemblance to real persons is purely coincident and it's only in your head :)

Link added by me.

Also, Give Victor a Pebble

http://coinfunder.com

This has "bounties", which sadly are empty except for a sample one, because there was an excellent opportunity for Ahaa! but with bitcoins.

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Episode 146: Don't Patreonize Me #26
Oh, bitcoinstarter has an invalid SSL certificate. And here expected everything to be super trustworthy.

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong

JamEngulfer

• Paid
Episode 146: Don't Patreonize Me #28
Ok, this episode (at least the start anyway) really pissed me off. I'm not talking about your mocking of the actual people, more of the way you mocked the site as a whole. It seems like you didn't understand the legitimate use of the site. Sure there are people there that are lazy and assholes, but there are still so many people that do produce legitimate content and use the money from Patreon to further their creative endeavours, and you didn't acknowledge that at the start. You just seemed to look at it and go "Oh look, it's a website where people are given money for things, must be full of idiots!"

🍆

• Spongy Wood Witch
  • Paid
  • Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge cunt
Episode 146: Don't Patreonize Me #29
But Boots specifically said that Patreon can be used for good things. Was it truly upsetting to wait til the end of the episode for that disclaimer?

Someone on SA has accused the podcast of making a "bootstraps" argument, without realizing that there is nothing wrong with it in this case. The "invisible hand" libertarian philosophy is bullshit when applied to things society actually needs, however it is spot on when it comes to arts and entertainment.Cat Planet, August 04, 2014, 11:19:41 am

This is the internet, pal, put away your distinctions and nuances and start getting mad at someone.