Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:45:15 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin  (Read 31167 times)

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #15
I've kind of got experience with that attitude, only in the sense that I used to be thirteen and I really, really wanted to be a wolf in my soul.  Or a dragon, or an alien, or something that wasn't human and was special.  It was probably a combination of being a teenager and being in a new place without many friends.  Also, some YA novels about wolves with magic Christian powers or something.  Otherkin bullshit is one of those there but for the grace of God go I topics, because I had the perfect attitude for it, but I guess I never found anyone to reinforce it, and I eventually made new friends and I started caring about regular teenager things like getting invited to parties.

There's probably some small portion of true believers in there, but I'm betting most of them are like I was as a teenager, and are into it because their life is free from problems, but they don't get to do anything interesting and they don't have a lot of friends, so they're looking for an explanation for why they're bored.  Oh, it's cause I'm not a human, I'm an ancient ice dragon named Torpakal.  That's why I need to chew ice!  This episode felt like it was part performance and part hoping that if you do all the right things, maybe you really will feel like a badger/robot/2012 Toyota Camry.  They don't really believe it, but they want to try to make themselves believe it so bad, because it'd be a cool thing to believe.
adrenochrome dome

Mister Smalls

• Steampunk Evita original cast member
  • Paid
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #16
This is what happens to people who are completely and utterly terrified of the possibility of offending someone: They run a blog telling crazy teenagers who think they're badgers what foods best approximate the texture of earthworms.
KingKalamari, December 28, 2014, 01:10:53 am
Honestly, I think they're just feeding each other's bullshit. None of them legitimately believe any of this; it's all performance. If I pretend you're a garbage truck, you'll pretend I'm an Ethiopian wolf and we'll be special and interesting together.
THE TRUE JUICE, December 28, 2014, 10:33:03 am
There are lots of people who legitimately believe this.  I know several of them personally.  It's honestly kind of sad sometimes, because if you actually interact with them, the theory that they weren't told they were special enough (as opposed to too much) becomes glaringly apparent.  They grow up in environments where they aren't given enough support and love and so they join a community that's built completely around support and love with no actual critical thought involved, or they become so lost and unable to forge a personal sense of self that they just build an identity out of the pieces of pop culture they enjoy.

That said, there's definitely a  big chunk of the community that's just going through the motions of a performance.  That's fine.  In fact, I think that's preferable.  It means they'll grow out of it without the assistance of therapy.
count_actuala hautecouture

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #17
I'm swanskin, but I only identify with the deep cuts from Holy Money
Tiny Prancer

goombapolice

• a muscular, cum producing MONSTER
  • Paid
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #18
Also, when Beekeepers use drone comb to trap varroa mites, they use a frame filled with drone larvae that they killed by putting in the freezer, then the mites go on the dead drones because they like the smell, then they're frozen again to kill the mites. This can be done several times. So there's a chance the bee eater was eating nasty, frostbitten, diseased larvae.

MyFaceBeHi

• Second worst joke person
  • Paid
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #19
For some reason I'm very disappointed that tumblr hasn't come up with a Rumpelstilts-kin, but I guess "mediakin" covers that.

WHAT! I COME UP WITH DUMB SHIT TO COUNTERACT THE DUMB SUBJECTS OF THESE PODCASTS DON'T JUDGE ME!

Navigator

• Currently Sitting Way Too Close to a Toaster
  • Paid
  • I live inside of a tree and I don't need anybody.
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #20
I was kind of afraid to listen to this one for fear it would be more drama than recipes, but I'm glad I did. The succubus bit had me hitting the car window with laughter.

Also, props to Lemon for having the dedication to look up the price of cumlube, because I thought it would be much more expensive.

Tiny Prancer

• Tiny and angry
  • Paid
  • please be more respectable to physics
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #21
Know what was also worth $1 billion?  A blogging site that doesn't have a way to search a blog for a string.  If you search a Tumblr blog, it only checks against the tags.
EYE OF ZA, December 28, 2014, 12:05:35 am

Oh good, I remember five years ago wondering if Tumblr was ever going to make it possible to search blogs. There used to be a barely functional search bar that would return apparently random results that were different every time you searched, glad to hear they've found some consistency now!
fifty cents, December 28, 2014, 12:47:02 am

Fun fact! Apparently tumblr only pulls up certain things in searched tags if it's among the first 4-5 things the post is tagged with. After that it goes "ehhhh fuck it" and so if you search for a post under something it was tagged with 5-6 tags in, it won't show up.

positive stress

• your favorite cool pizza star
  • Paid
  • beep beep ribby ribby
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #22
Fun fact! Apparently tumblr only pulls up certain things in searched tags if it's among the first 4-5 things the post is tagged with. After that it goes "ehhhh fuck it" and so if you search for a post under something it was tagged with 5-6 tags in, it won't show up.
Tiny Prancer, December 28, 2014, 02:58:35 pm

Really? I never knew that

This is fun let's all share our favorite things about how Tumblr doesn't work, mine is that if you go back far enough in your dashboard or blog it stops showing old posts even if there should be more coming up. Like all of the posts are being pulled up by some Tumblr employee by memory and he just can't remember what everyone was posting earlier than a few months ago

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #23
I have had a tumbr for about a year now and I'm still not entirely certain how to hold a conversation with another tumblr user, or even if that's possible.

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #24
my favourite tumblr
    thing is how in long
       enough chains of
           reblogs the text
                 just gets prog
                       ressively ti
                        ghter and t
                        ighter spac
                        ed until it lo
                        oks like this,
                        for multiple
                        paragraphs

also "long enough" means like six

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:11:01 pm by eggnog chai »

Bobalay

• FORUMS MEMBER
  • Paid
  • is made of 50 unbreakable g-strings
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #25
I was considering making a Tumblr a few days ago because everyone else has one, etc., but now I'm glad I didn't.

positive stress

• Paid
  • beep beep ribby ribby
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #26
Tumblr was a big part of my life for about five years and I think it's done a lot of good for a lot of people (I know I'd be a lot more of an asshole if not for Tumblr) but it's become such a gross environment of everyone supporting everything, it's really not okay. Like, this stuff

If anyone wants a little more of this, here's my favorite bit that didn't make it into the episode: http://kinfood.tumblr.com/tagged/gaseous-kin

It's about a guy so particular with his eating habits that the site mods and some of its users are afraid he'll actually starve to death. Keep in mind the posts are in reverse chronological order, so you have to start at the bottom and read up.
BomberJacket, December 27, 2014, 11:36:16 pm

This stuff really bums me out.  So many people on Tumblr are teenagers who are going through that part of life where you're confused about everything, trying to figure out who you are and what your identity is, and Tumblr comes in and says "explore things, don't feel bad about what you might learn about yourself, you are who you are!" And that sounds fine but part of accepting yourself for who you are is accepting yourself for who you actually are. Like there's a pretty crucial difference between a teenager saying "I think I might be gay" and saying "I think I might be a ball of gas". One of those explorations of identity is fine to encourage, one isn't.

A couple years ago when the otherkin and multiple stuff was catching on around Tumblr, I saw a few of my friends say they felt like it made sense to them, one friend "came out" as a sea slug and I was going through the #otherkinpride tag trying to understand it. I saw one person in the tag talking about how they felt like they were losing their grip on reality, asking people to message them because they needed reassurance that they were real, and at the end of the post said "please no anonymous messages, if I get an anonymous message I'll have no way of knowing that it wasn't just from one of my headmates." This was tagged #otherkinpride? What the hell? How can people not see that this is a kind of behavior that should not be encouraged?

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #27
I mean, there's plenty of good people on tumblr and I'm glad that I have one and that I follow them. But the reason I have one is because it lets me track people who write and draw good things, not because of the platform itself. The platform is designed like shit and I have no idea how it became so popular or why so many otherwise talented people have flocked to it. It's got sheer inertia behind it at this point, but I don't know why it became a thing in the first place.

positive stress

• Paid
  • beep beep ribby ribby
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #28
On another note: "faekin"? Yeah you are! Ha ha ha ha haaaaaa

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
Episode 160: To Serve Otherkin #29
On another note: "faekin"? Yeah you are! Ha ha ha ha haaaaaa