Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:14:01 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Episode 121: A Not At All Brief History Of Dozerfleet  (Read 47488 times)

Odd

• Paid
I can't wait to read the Dozerfleet wiki article on this episode and ballpit.
Cuddlekrampus, December 31, 2013, 12:17:14 pm

I do not mean to imply he is going to kill any of the Ridiculists, but I just want you all to know that if he outlives you then he is probably going to document your passing.
Psammetichus 🍆 nilvoid Sherman Tank

Psammetichus

• ᕕ(⊙ω⊙)ᕗ
  • Paid
  • O damn'd Sonic! O inhuman hog!
Haha, I literally laughed out loud.

I call dibs on reading the poem at Lemon's funeral.

count_actuala

• Real VamPire
  • Paid
  • Do you tend to get a high from human blood?
I've got a much simpler theory.  Take it or leave it, I'm not deeply attached to it.

He's about of the age where it became standard practice to give medals and awards for everything
Acierocolotl, December 31, 2013, 01:14:33 am
Ditto. Not crazy.

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
hahaha he refers to Nelson Mandela as a terrorist and thinks the suicide epidemic in Michele Bachmann's school district was caused by kids learning about evolution, not, you know, being constantly bullied for their perceived sexual orientation

STOG

• im baby
  • Ridiculist
  • thiis is bernie bro, to me

Psammetichus, December 31, 2013, 01:33:36 pm

I am available for poem writing services.

I do have to warn you beforehand that my eulogy poem is actually just going to be me imitating Fred Schneider of The B-52s for ten minutes in a really sad tone.
Boots Raingear

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.

Psammetichus, December 31, 2013, 01:33:36 pm

I am available for poem writing services.

I do have to warn you beforehand that my eulogy poem is actually just going to be me imitating Fred Schneider of The B-52s for ten minutes in a really sad tone.
STOG, January 01, 2014, 11:49:42 am
I will give you fifty dollars to write and record such a poem for my birthday. This is not a joke.

count_actuala

• Real VamPire
  • Paid
  • Do you tend to get a high from human blood?
Crooked Rainbow's drummer punched me in the face after a show once.

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
Dozerfleet's deviantart does not disappoint.

This is in response to the anaklusmous99 journal entry "homosexual 'sin' and logical fallacies."  He contends it's "childish" to oppose the Crookedist agenda, along with other bits of slander.  I'd beg to differ.
(Translation: This is why I think gay rights is dumb.)

1.  Are you an earthworm?  No?  Then why live like one?
2.  If in Adam's fall, so did all (which used to be a mandatory part of teaching children how to read), then...
3.  The human mind would be prone to curiosity AND rebellion against a pre-ordained order.  Which is exactly what we see.
4.  Therefore, the temptation to violate boundaries that one KNOWS produce no good results will always be there.  But some will be more prone to certain harmful tendencies than others.  Which is also observable.
(Translation: ????scholasticism??)

7.  There is no such thing as sexual "orientation."  There is male and female sexuality, and then there is perversion of it.  Which is a spiritual AFFLICTION.  The reason "orientation" started being used as a term in the 90s was to serve as a more effective political battering ram.  This is because the term used before the writing inf 1992's "After the Ball" was "preference."  But "preference" implied a choice on whether or not to act.  Except, there is always a choice.  If a pretty lady walks into the room, I have to make a choice to disrobe with her.  It's not an automatic response.  I can always choose to keep my clothes one and resist her charms. 

Now, I also have a preference for Asians and Filipinas.  This might be called a "fetish."  However, I can, with time, choose to override it and replace it with a fascination for some other type of woman.  However, the Orders of Creation are in no way usurped by liking the visual appearance of an ethnicity other than my own.  That's still man-woman according to God's plan, and within variations of one created kind.  So I don't see a POINT in trying not to find such women interesting.  Also of note: nobody's politicizing my interest here, the way that Anaklusmouse's intrigues have become a tool of political manipulation.  At least he is honest when he says he has an agenda, even if not honest about whether or not it is a worthy agenda.  I commend him for whatever honesty he is willing to give.
"I can always choose to keep my clothes one and resist the pretty lady's charms." -A situation Dozerfleet is highly familiar with

8.  It is unfair to say that there is "no connection whatsoever" between Crookedist depravity and pedophilia.
"Gays are pretty much pedophiles." -A person whose opinion is to be taken seriously

And just to prove that Dozerfleet truly is the gift that keeps on giving, another of his journals, How to cinematize a Sims 3 shot.

I've received some compliments for how I make my screenshots from Sims 2 and Sims 3.  Many act like it's some "great marvel."  All it really is, in the end, is the result of a cumulative three years'-or-so worth of instruction in Photoshop, along with a good eye for color correction. 

Getting your shots to look like mine by having the same training may take a long time and cost a lot of money.  (ARTS 102 at Lansing Community College, ARTS 151, ARTS 171, ARTS 228, several TVPR classes in the TDMP program at Ferris State, etc.)

But since I realize most of you don't have that kind of time or money, I'll summarize as best I can:

4.  Check for rough joints.  The more extreme a pose in your image, the greater likelihood there is that your Sims' poses will result in gross distortion of anatomy.  Even in Sims 3, the articulation on Sims is not up to par with what it should be.  It can, at times, be about as bad as the articulation on free software like MakeHuman 3D Alpha 6.0.  Dresses and skirts are especially bad at this, and are prone to the "No Flow in CGI" trope. 

5.  Once your shapes and dimensions look natural, poke at little details.  Do the eyes look passable, or are they way too cartoony?  Do you want to see pores on their skin?  This tutorial isn't about that, but feel free to search for tutorials on making cartoons look life-like.  One is very likely to mention skin pores.

6.  When your image is passable on its details, now we get to tweak with the lighting.  For starters, take a look at the Sim's skin.  If it looks a bit too saturated to be real, then that's probably because it is.  In fact, virtually EVERYTHING in Sims 3 has the saturation up too high, making it a tiny bit cartoony.  Sims 2 is a little better about this, but has a bigger problem with too many shiny surfaces.  When adjusting a Sim's skin to not look so saturated in color, try using a low setting of the Sponge Tool set to desaturate mode.  Don't remove ALL color, just enough that it doesn't overpower the character.

8.  Highlights and shadows.  Sounds easy enough, right?  Try to use the Dodge Tool a little on your highlights, and the Burn Tool on your midtones and shadows.  Some training with these tools may come in handy.  Occasionally, you may need to dodge a midtone.  This is not usually recommended; but every situation is different.

9.  Adjustments or Selective Colors.  Both are about color correction.  But one is a little more sophisticated than the other.  By separating the RGB channels in Levels and editing individually, or doing the same in Curves, you can also manipulate the overall color tone of your work.  Many Sims 3 shots by default are too magenta, but not red enough.  They are usually too blue and not enough yellow.  Adding the right amount of red or cyan or the right amount of magenta or green or the right amount of blue or yellow to either highlights, shadows, or midtones, makes a huge difference.

(Side note)
In my TV Studio Operations class in the fall of 2008, it was emphasized that a regular NTSC signal is in amplitude modulation because, at it's core, it's a luminance signal.  That's why the original framerate was exactly 30 fps.  It was 30 fps of varying shades of gray, with 0.7 something being the "black line" and something below 255 something being the "white line," so that the signal never got too weak to die out but never got so strong that it'd bleed its signal into another channel's frequency bandwidth.  The FCC's strong enforcement of bandwidth measures are the reason that NTSC-"legal" became part of the TV studio lexicon.  NTSC was THE standard right up until the latter half of the first decade of the 21st century.

Chrominance slowed the framerate down to the 29.97 fps we're familiar with; because it used a tiny bit of that signal to create what I called the "syrups."  Through some sort of Pythagorean algebraic formula, the "syrups" reduced white to green, and then balanced it out with red and blue.  The result was color television.  The two syrups were traditionally dubbed "R-Y" and "B-Y."   These together were the "paint filters" by which someone could custom-color an NTSC signal.  Balancing them out against mathematically-defined color bars helped ensure that color timing remained mostly consistent from one broadcast to the next. 
(End Side Note)

Optional: 16.  Add a white inner glow to the image for flashback scenes.  Adjust the size and range of your inner glow to suit something that looks like a flashback haze.

No comments have been added yet.

No one has ever been so conservative and so into Sims at the same time.

Bobalay

• FORUMS MEMBER
  • Paid
  • is made of 50 unbreakable g-strings
What is it with Michigan churning out hilarious crazy people so consistently?

Xenomantid

• Giant Martian Arthropod
  • Paid
  • Some of my best friends are spacers.
The hypotheses about Dozerfleet's possible autism spectrum disorder are incisive. On the other hand, when I listened to this episode, I thought the Dozerfleet founder sounded more like a narcissist than anything else.

Cleft Uppercut

• Tenured Internetologist
  • Paid
  • Thats fine, I didn't even want to go to prom.
The scariest thing about this guy is that I feel like we all have considered being him at some point in our internet lives.  I mean, eventually, everyone stumbles onto wikia and realizes that they could theoretically make their own wiki all about their awesome ideas and non-conformist views, so that some day someone else would be like, "wow this person is brilliant."  Or am I just a huge narcissist for having had that thought at one point?

Also I really like the fact that he took down his idiotic Sims page because he thought it would send a message to EA that supporting gay marriage was unacceptable.  I like to imagine that the people at Maxis found out and it broke their morale and that's why the new SimCity was so messed up.

zmonbobbo

• Paid
  • Yo.
This guy screams "overly sheltered shut-in" to me, personally.  I went to a conservative Baptist school in Louisiana, and there were a few people I know that went there that could've written this wiki (assuming they weren't too lazy to figure out how a wiki worked).  The Ridiculist were on the ball this episode and had me laughing as usual, but I think the most shocking thing about this episode is how it didn't shock me much at all.

Triggerhappy938

• Victor-Puncher
  • Paid
  • The Geek-of-all-Trades
The scariest thing about this guy is that I feel like we all have considered being him at some point in our internet lives.  I mean, eventually, everyone stumbles onto wikia and realizes that they could theoretically make their own wiki all about their awesome ideas and non-conformist views, so that some day someone else would be like, "wow this person is brilliant." Or am I just a huge narcissist for having had that thought at one point?

Also I really like the fact that he took down his idiotic Sims page because he thought it would send a message to EA that supporting gay marriage was unacceptable.  I like to imagine that the people at Maxis found out and it broke their morale and that's why the new SimCity was so messed up.
Cleft Uppercut, January 03, 2014, 09:25:46 pm

Bold added for emphasis.