Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:02:37 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: thefpl.us v2.2 Redesign  (Read 29667 times)

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
thefpl.us v2.2 Redesign

Mique

• Paid
  • Pronounced like Mike
thefpl.us v2.2 Redesign #1
Is the logo meant to be cut off on the bottom? Because I really, really don't like that.

There's also a lot of empty gray space above the sidebar, and that's kind of unpleasant too.

I'm also not a fan of the font used for the tags. It's kinda cramped.

Okay, I just checked it out on my phone, and it looks a lot better there aside from the background being a little drab, but I'm really not a fan of the desktop version.
I'm using Firefox on Windows 7 if that makes a difference.

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat
thefpl.us v2.2 Redesign #2
I have similar desktop complaints as mique, also on firefox, but Windows 10, like, if the logo was in the top left instead of the large empty gray space it'd be fine by me, I don't mind the font.

the logo in the bottom left gets obstructed in firefox because that's where the hover-over URLs for links appear, so even hovering over the logo causes it to be partially blocked by the website's URL

Ambious

thefpl.us v2.2 Redesign #3
This is a super fringe usecase nowadays, but there's a lot of wasted space in portrait mode (like in tablets):

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 04:27:30 pm by Ambious »

LowBatteryLife

• Paid
thefpl.us v2.2 Redesign #4
Are the icons at the button left meant to cycle randomly? I didn't like how tiny and missable the ballpit icon was on the old design, and now it only appears on every third refresh of the page. I mean I guess it's a fun game yelling the name of the forums every podcast and then sending people on a scavenger hunt for the link...

Trying to /avoid/ clicking the screen lest I be sucked into a hyperlink is irritating, and the full-panel click area makes almost the entire screen a trap. I'd prefer just the title clickable, or a very obvious button area. Content text, even in a preview, shouldn't be a link.

Other than that, I like the content type tags and the bolded reading: for the short form tiles.

There's my usability notes. Everything else is personal preference.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 03:09:56 pm by LowBatteryLife »

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
thefpl.us v2.2 Redesign #5
Actual usability:
The date box significantly overlaps the title for a number of the episodes. See: Shorn Crecy, the episode about the English victory in the Hundred Years' War:

Or F Plus Live 6 Part 1, featuring Bread, S'Heelies, and an empty void in the shape of STOG.

My fucking web design opinions Lemon's really interested in hearing:
The random focus item makes me think it's a different kind of content from the surrounding, since the visual distinction between episode and "other" is pretty small.
With sixteen fifteen items with one of them double-width per page on a 1080px wide monitor, one item winds up all on its own on the bottom.
cat_examiner
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 04:13:31 pm by SATAN MILKSHAKE »

Ambious

thefpl.us v2.2 Redesign #6
This is a super fringe usecase nowadays, but there's a lot of wasted space in landscape mode (like in tablets):

Ambious, January 01, 2019, 02:41:19 pm

I’m guessing you mean portrait? (What your screenshot shows) And I’m not sure how fringe it is. I personally browse a lot on a tablet and portrait is my preferred orientation.
Darkly, January 01, 2019, 04:16:33 pm

Yes, indeed  I do, thank you for the correction.
Also I think it's fringe in that most tablets that AREN'T a Microsoft Surface do the sensible thing of portraying websites in a mobile-friendly manner, but I could be wrong.

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
thefpl.us v2.2 Redesign #7
Drinking this all in.

Some of these points I disagree with, but happy to hear them nonetheless. Keep going.

Boots Raingear

• BBQ Man-Pop
  • Administrator
  • CEO of Victor's basement
thefpl.us v2.2 Redesign #8
I think the biggest problem I have is that I like it too much?
Lemon Achilles' Heelies

cat_examiner

• Paid
  • Neither cat nor examiner
thefpl.us v2.2 Redesign #9
I DON'T HAVE ANY THOUGHTS, GOODBYE!

thanks to twitter, i discovered the tag explorer (and a nice number of fetish tags), but there's no obvious (to me) way to get to it from the homepage. The important things are straightforward to find, but now i wonder if there's other things i'm missing (i like a sitemap link for trying to find things like this)

echoing this:
Actual usability:
The date box significantly overlaps the title for a number of the episodes. See: Shorn Crecy, the episode about the English victory in the Hundred Years' War:

Or F Plus Live 6 Part 1, featuring Bread, S'Heelies, and an empty void in the shape of STOG.

My fucking web design opinions Lemon's really interested in hearing:
The random focus item makes me think it's a different kind of content from the surrounding, since the visual distinction between episode and "other" is pretty small.
With sixteen fifteen items with one of them double-width per page on a 1080px wide monitor, one item winds up all on its own on the bottom.
SATAN MILKSHAKE, January 01, 2019, 03:39:25 pm

blunge

• Paid
thefpl.us v2.2 Redesign #10
Ok it's not just me, whew! I felt I was being mr niggle about the navbar. It's not an important issue, but just a impressions thing.

SHAMBA~1.SBB

• I love dungs!!
  • Paid
  • ƨtupid cat
thefpl.us v2.2 Redesign #11

I just want to see the dang logo.  Aside from that, count me among the chorus that would prefer it back on top regardless.  It's weird and confusing for the logo and home link to be crammed down at the bottom of the page, and all that white space makes it feel like the menu came off its hook and fell down my screen.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 04:41:57 am by Sham bam bamina! »

Ambious

thefpl.us v2.2 Redesign #12
Lemon Mr. Hunky Academia SHAMBA~1.SBB Macho Masc Sangy Savage Boots Raingear Achilles' Heelies

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
thefpl.us v2.2 Redesign #13
The new layout makes it a lot harder to read the tags page because they aren't all in little bubbles like the old layout. To be perfectly honest this is probably the least pressing problem in the history of the world but you did ask for feedback.

izzy

• Dealer of Illegal Hedgehog Substances
  • Paid
thefpl.us v2.2 Redesign #14
I genuinely thought the website formatting was broken and it wasn't until I read this thread that I realized it looked like that on purpose. Probably not the impression you were going for.