Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:55:34 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods  (Read 44592 times)

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #15
Okay ladies, here's the dealio. I'm trying to find a dress for my cousins wedding, but to my disappointment I've noticed that every single shop offering "wedding clothes" only offers dresses that are really light on the top, namely halterneck or strapless dresses. Now, this is a bit of a problem for someone like me, who is incredibly top heavy and cannot possibly wear a dress without and industrial strength bra underneath it to keep "the ladies" in order. However, I don't really want to order anything from the Mother of the Bride section, since I'm about 20 years too young for that. Does any of you know a shop or a design (type of dress) that I could help me with my problem? I'm sick of looking at clothes that I can only wear if I intend to flash the entire wedding crowd.

Sherlockian

• Library handwriting. Indexing. Abstracting. Alphabetizing. Filing.
  • Paid
  • File under Z695.95 S54
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #16
Okay ladies, here's the dealio. I'm trying to find a dress for my cousins wedding, but to my disappointment I've noticed that every single shop offering "wedding clothes" only offers dresses that are really light on the top, namely halterneck or strapless dresses. Now, this is a bit of a problem for someone like me, who is incredibly top heavy and cannot possibly wear a dress without and industrial strength bra underneath it to keep "the ladies" in order. However, I don't really want to order anything from the Mother of the Bride section, since I'm about 20 years too young for that. Does any of you know a shop or a design (type of dress) that I could help me with my problem? I'm sick of looking at clothes that I can only wear if I intend to flash the entire wedding crowd.
montrith, May 25, 2013, 08:48:01 am

Depending on what size you wear and the relative fanciness of the event, you could try Igigi, if you're of a larger size, or Shabby Apple if you're not.

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
  • My cat? Let me tell you about my cat...
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #17
So, how do you figure out what perfumes go with your body chemistry anyway? Is it all trial and error or are there ways to make educated guesses? Also, how much perfume should a person apply and where? I love perfume, but I'm always afraid that I'll wear too much and be that perfume death cloud person.

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #18
Thanks for the links, I'll check those out. I usually buy "Tall", since normal sizes don't really work for me that well. I've bought more than one dress where the supposed waist was actually barely bellow my breasts. Think of those Amazon women in that one Futurama episode.

So, how do you figure out what perfumes go with your body chemistry anyway? Is it all trial and error or are there ways to make educated guesses? Also, how much perfume should a person apply and where? I love perfume, but I'm always afraid that I'll wear too much and be that perfume death cloud person.
NutshellGulag, May 25, 2013, 01:13:25 pm

For me personally, I can usually hazard a guess whether or not a certain scent suits me based on what I already know about my body. If one citrus-y scent doesn't work, then it's unlikely other sour scents will be that good either. I know Aloe Vera is horrible for me, so I avoid other "fresh" and "leafy" scents as well. Remember to also pay attention to the undertone of the scent. While the first thing you smell may seem pleasant, some scents surprise you with a completely inappropriate undertone, which will then linger on your skin. Once you've found one or two scents that really work or don't work for you, it will be a lot easier to compare other scents to those and make educated guesses.

I also try to match my colors with my scent. For summer, when I have lighter hair and wear thinner clothes, I prefer soft flower scents and delicate, sweet and fruity scents. When winter comes, I switch to heavier, slightly spicy and warm scents, like rose with a touch of cinnamon.

Here is one of my summer perfumes.

Eau de Parfum - MING SHU

The most intense interpretation of Ming Shu
A breath of air, fresh with aquatic and floral notes... the essence of a water flower (Nymphea Stellata) that releases its most intense notes at dawn. The Ming Shu eau de parfum flower of the dawn, wraps you in harmony.

Olfactive Family : Aquatic Floral.
Head Notes : Marine Note, Pepper.
Mid Notes : Nymphea Stellata, Ylang-Ylang.
Base Notes : Sandalwood, Vanilla.

And here is a winter/evening perfume

Gucci perfume by Gucci starts loud, but it calms nicely. It is strong as well as fruity fragrance whose top is loaded with patchouli. Gucci Parfum was developed by the perfumer Ermenidis and this fragrance constitutes notes of guava, raspberry, pear, chamomile, Tahitian Tiare flower, orange blossom, spider lily, patchouli, honey and musk.Gucci fragrance is considered as a musky skin perfume with woody and earthy undertones, with smooth and dry base. Gucci by Gucci is the main fragrance for women by this company. Gucci is a sophisticated, sweet, soft, strong and impressive fragrance. It is warm and really a great example of a modern chypre without oak moss.

As for wearing perfume, I usually dab just a bit behind the ears, on my collarbone, in my armpits and behind my ankles. Some say you should apply between your legs, but I've never really gone further than sometimes dabbing just a little on my thighs. If it's a scent in a spray bottle, then a good way to apply the right amount is to spray some in the air and walk through it. If you don't think that's enough, repeat.

TL;DR, I care too much about how I smell.

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #19
Thank you! I will try your perfume advice.

Sherlockian

• Library handwriting. Indexing. Abstracting. Alphabetizing. Filing.
  • Paid
  • File under Z695.95 S54
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #20
If you have some disposable income, you could try a couple of imps ears (sample sizes) from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab.  They've got a broad selection, so getting a batch of six samples could give you an idea of how different scents interact with your body chemistry.

Body chemistry is weird.  I've had stuff that is supposed to smell like tobacco and dirt turn out like sugar cookies on me.  For what that's worth, your base chemistry is likely to enhance some scents and totally screw with others.

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #21
I've seen BPAL's website; it reminds me of ZOMG Smells only less nerdy and more gothy. I bought a small spray of Cinnamon Roll from Demeter Fragrance Library, and liked it a lot.

squiddy

• #1 Fox in Socks reader
  • Ridiculist
  • Do you choose to chew goo too, sir?
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #22
Go to Sephora near you, tell the nice, pretty lady (or gay guy) who works there that you are a perfume noob and they'll ask you what you like and give you a couple samples.

BPAL is pretty rad, I've never ordered but I've sniffed plenty. My issue with fragrance oils is the base sometimes doesn't mix with my chemistry and it smells too-sweet.

WRT dresses, I have the same problem with my tig ol bitties and was scared to even go wedding dress shopping when I got married a couple years ago. But the fancy-dress section at a regular old department store had plenty of dresses with wide straps. I know you're not in the US, montrith, but you have the equivalent of a Macy's or Nordstroms right?

Latest fashion conquest, I got one of these Missoni for Target guys on Ebay for less than $20. It fits perfectly and is so adorable. I'm sort of obsessed with the Missoni for Target line from a couple years back.

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #23
We have those kind of stores in the cities, but none near me, which is why I usually shop online. I guess I'll have to schedule a trip to the nearest city and actually go shopping. That means I have to arrange for a day off, drat.

squiddy

• #1 Fox in Socks reader
  • Ridiculist
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #24
What's this? Oh, just they Frye boots I got at a thrift store for $9 today!

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #25
I can't view the image without a Yahoo! account, but I'm already jealous.

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #26
Okay ladies, I've been thinking. Black dress for summer wedding, too much? I have this cute little kneelenght Grecian style wrap dress, which I wasn't even considering at first since, you know, black at summer wedding. But I just recently bought a lovely grey/silver scarf/wrap and that gave me the idea that maybe it would be okay if I went with light colors and materials for the accessories.

I've already got these shoes in silver.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lotus-Womens-Harper-Slingbacks-50136/dp/B0060U9L5Y/ref=sr_1_98?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1369670247&sr=1-98

And this is the wrap I was talking about.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prettystern-200cm-Cashmere-Pashmina-Fiber/dp/B00BTAFWRG/ref=sr_1_51?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1369670331&sr=1-51&keywords=Prettystern

Oh, look. I even found the dress I have!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ladies-Grecian-silver-Buckle-length/dp/B005017ND6/ref=pd_sim_ap_3

Do you think it would work? I don't really have that much experience in dressing formal, since the only place I really dress myself up is the opera. I'm going to need a wrap anyways, if for nothing else to protect me from mosquitoes.

squiddy

• #1 Fox in Socks reader
  • Ridiculist
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #27
kal-elk, May 27, 2013, 10:57:18 am

Oh, I was wondering if that would happen. They're like these, except the leather is a little cracked around the toes- nothing a little leather lotion can't fix. And they'll most def need to be resoled sooner rather than later, but they are so gorgeous. I really can't believe it- I was at the same thrift store 2 days ago and they didn't have them then. They must have gone out today or yesterday, just in time for the 50% off Memorial Day sale.

montrith, love the dress. With a light pashmina I don't see why not, plus etiquette has changed enough that black at a wedding is no longer poor form, and I'm pretty sure I wore a black dress with flowers on it to my friend's wedding a couple summers ago. (In fact it came up that people were asking her if it was ok to wear black to her wedding and I threatened to wear my own wedding dress just to be gauche.)

I also got a really cool Italian leather purse for $5 at the thrift store, with some of the coolest hardware I've ever seen. Lemon has started to look at me like he's concerned for my mental health when I bring home another new bag though- I think I need to chill out on the handbags.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:20:50 am by squiddy »

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #28
kal-elk, May 27, 2013, 10:57:18 am

Oh, I was wondering if that would happen. They're like these, except the leather is a little cracked around the toes- nothing a little leather lotion can't fix. And they'll most def need to be resoled sooner rather than later, but they are so gorgeous. I really can't believe it- I was at the same thrift store 2 days ago and they didn't have them then. They must have gone out today or yesterday, just in time for the 50% off Memorial Day sale.

montrith, love the dress. With a light pashmina I don't see why not, plus etiquette has changed enough that black at a wedding is no longer poor form, and I'm pretty sure I wore a black dress with flowers on it to my friend's wedding a couple summers ago. (In fact it came up that people were asking her if it was ok to wear black to her wedding and I threatened to wear my own wedding dress just to be gauche.)

I also got a really cool Italian leather purse for $5 at the thrift store, with some of the coolest hardware I've ever seen. Lemon has started to look at me like he's concerned for my mental health when I bring home another new bag though- I think I need to chill out on the handbags.
squiddy, May 27, 2013, 11:10:19 am
He's worried you'll hide his XBox inside one.

Also I really love the mental image of just showing up to a wedding in your own wedding dress, that sounds like the most beautifully passive-agressive thing ever.

(ps: nice find on the boots!)

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #29
Those are some kickass boots Squiddy! I'm super jealous, since I can't really wear boots. My feet are kinda big and my calves are the most muscular part of my body (loot of standing work and cleaning low surfaces will do that to you).

Let's talk about purses, shall we? I love purses and handbags. I'd buy so many if I only had little more money. Sometimes I go to the shops and just look at the purses and weep because I don't have an excuse to buy a new one. The thing is, my current go-to purse is a lovely black-with-white-trimmings Bozzini, which is just so damn durable I don't have any excuse to buy a new one. It's just the right size, and even though I bought it used years ago it still shows no major signs of wear. It may not be the fanciest purse ever made, but golly I've really gotten my 5 € worth on that one.

Also you should totally hide Lemon's XBox inside your purse. And then make him a sandwich with meat and cheese.

Does anyone else here love gloves? I have a major glove fetish and I have to even confess to owning several pairs of fingerless gloves. But if I didn't have those then all that time I spent on my manicure would go to waste!

*This has been the girliest you will ever see me. We will now go back to your scheduled nerdery and "look what horrible thing montrith found today".