Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:17:43 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: I am really enjoying Lucky Hank, and potentially you will enjoy it as well.  (Read 416 times)

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Briefly:

Lucky Hank is another TV Show on AMC starring Bob Odenkirk, but this one is about a tenured professor at a po-dunk college and focuses on sadness, jealousy, incompetence, inadequacy, and nihilism. It was adapted from a novel called Straight Man by Richard Russo, who just so happened to be a professor at a po-dunk college experiencing sadness, jealousy, incompetence, inadequacy and nihilism.

The show is very much played as a comedy, almost getting close to Armando Iannucci territory where the meat of the dialogue is in people saying mean things to each other, but delivered by people like Odenkirk, Cedric Yarbrough, Mireille Enos and Suzanne Cryer, it lands. And the dialogue as-written is honest without being realistic. The show wants to make jokes about the human condition - if that means one character absolutely sets up another for an excellent punchline, that's worth the trip. And if one character only talks by quoting syllabus-tier novels and then citing which novel he's quoting? That is the best. I love that and I love that character and this show is fucking great.

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
AMC posted the entire first episode to YouTube, and this isn't some shit where it takes six episodes for you to get into it. If that first scene of the writer's critique doesn't grab you - fair enough, maybe you won't like this show.
chai tea latte