Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 11:34:50 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Movies We've Seen Recently  (Read 205011 times)

Wrought

• The Unsevered
  • Paid
  • I BELLOW LOUDLY AS I TYPE THIS.
Movies We've Seen Recently #495
Just watched The Truman Show for the first time. I can get why there are people who believe gangstalking is a thing now
Beyond that it's a really good snapshot of the cultural influence of television and it probably has the best ending of any movie I've ever seen
Dr. Buttplug RoeCocoa
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 10:35:29 pm by Wrought »

Cleretic

• Russian Roulette Silver Medalist
  • Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #496
I realized that the MCU movies are something that I should know, they fit exactly into what I like and my personal brand, so I've started trying to watch every single one. I'm only starting at this point, but so far...

Iron Man is a good movie, except for two chief flaws: all the fight scenes are horribly and boringly one-sided, and nobody should want to be friends with Tony Stark so why does the movie think he's got them? Jeff Bridges is a really fun bad guy, though, who both deserved more scenes and needed them, because he flips from 'menacing villain' to 'having way too much fun in this mech' way too quickly.

The Incredible Hulk is not legally available on any platform in Australia, unless you're buying the physical copy. I still don't know why.

Iron Man 2 is the first half of an awesome movie, that addresses the problems of the first while offering as much of what was good about it as feasible, with a fun villain, actually interesting themes, and the best fight scene in the MCU so far, between Rhodes and a drunk-off-his-ass Stark. ...Unfortunately, right when that fight scene ends, the film takes a nosedive as it totally forgets what its themes were. But that second half still had Sam Rockwell, so it's not so bad.

Thor is a movie with a really awesome-looking setting and really good fight scenes, that instead decides to fuck off to the desert and make its protagonist a crazy man falling into a thoroughly poorly-sold romance for half its runtime. At least Thor is fun in those scenes, though, everybody else is just boring and unconvincing. And I know they couldn't have known what the character was going to go on to be in just a few years in the comics, but they still criminally mishandled Jane Foster.
Nikaer Drekin

Nikaer Drekin

• One-Man Nic Cage Fan Club
  • Paid
  • "My burrito is a big deal"
Movies We've Seen Recently #497
Iron Man is a good movie, except for two chief flaws: all the fight scenes are horribly and boringly one-sided, and nobody should want to be friends with Tony Stark so why does the movie think he's got them? Jeff Bridges is a really fun bad guy, though, who both deserved more scenes and needed them, because he flips from 'menacing villain' to 'having way too much fun in this mech' way too quickly.
Cleretic, May 11, 2018, 03:57:12 am

TONY STARK BUILT THIS IN A CAVE!!! WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!!!!!

Also, I'll always go to bat for The Incredible Hulk, it's honestly pretty good. While I'm not especially sad that we got Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner instead of Norton, it's a really solid Hulk movie with some nice Tim Roth scenery-chewing.

Cleretic

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #498
And now, more of the MCU:

Captain America: The First Avenger is the best movie of the first phase of the MCU, largely because it manages to be the same movie the whole way through, and doesn't forget its themes or abandon its interesting setting. Chris Evans is also the most charismatic leading man so far in the series by a long way, and they manage to depict an inherently kind of ridiculous fighting style in a way that works really well.

The Avengers is a movie that's more interesting for what it's trying to do than entertaining for what it's doing, but it's still pretty entertaining. I remember at the time, Red Letter Media noting that it manages to do well at delivering what every central character is fun for without short-changing anybody, to the point where you can watch it as just one of their movies that happens to have some other guys in it, and that's true; if you like Captain America it's a good Captain America movie, if you like Thor it's a good Thor movie. If we follow on from that, it's arguably the best Iron Man movie, and it's definitely the best Hulk movie.

Iron Man 3 is good, and I especially love the buddy-cop dynamic between Stark and Rhodes and the abundance of really reactive, mobile fight scenes with a ton of environmental work, but there are so many small things they could have done to make it a whole lot better. Present-day Killian is a totally bland 'charming villain man' with nothing interesting about him, and they totally killed the impact of Stark losing all his suits by giving him forty of the fucking things. That climactic battle would've worked a lot better if they shaved it down to only versions of the Iron Man suit that we actually recognize; hell, they didn't even use the most striking 'extra' suit he's got, the updated version of the original built-in-a-cave chunky armor that's always in his workshop scenes.

Thor: The Dark World is a movie that nobody talks about. And I understand that, because it adds basically nothing to the overall story of the MCU that wasn't already in place from the first Thor. But it's still a crying shame that it's neglected, because god damn is all the Asgard stuff fun to look at, and that final battle is phenomenally clever. We don't get enough high fantasy that's that high aesthetically, it reminds me of my days playing modded Oblivion (strangely, not Skyrim, Oblivion is a lot closer).

Also, I understand why my brain works like this, but it's still funny to me that any time you set a fantasy movie in modern London and have some before-the-final-battle exploratory stuff, it immediately reads as a Doctor Who episode to me.

I Liked That Joke

• Paid
  • Boy oh boy, there's a lot of good jokes out there!
Movies We've Seen Recently #499
Hooray, another human being who liked Iron Man 3! Everyone I know either hated it or didn't watch it. Personally, I think it's my favorite Iron Man (Iron Man 1 didn't hold up super well in my opinion. I still like it, but it just feels wonky).

Shell Game

• Fearless: The Fiscal Year of Shadow
  • Paid
  • Rex Morgan knows about Pretty Cure. Look it up.
Movies We've Seen Recently #500
I thought it was okay. I didn't love it but any movie i joyfully eat my entire tub of popcorn through is a positive experience in my book. (as a result I've had few bad movie going experiences.)

eta: this is my experience with most marvel movies
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 12:43:07 pm by Shell Game »

Frank West

• Have you ever astraled and kicked it with satan
  • Ridiculist
  • Marky Mk 2
Movies We've Seen Recently #501
Iron man 3 is almost the best marvel movie and I think if people didn't like it it's probably because they were expecting a more normal marvel movie and instead got kiss kiss bang bang 2

Cleretic

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #502
Iron man 3 is almost the best marvel movie and I think if people didn't like it it's probably because they were expecting a more normal marvel movie and instead got kiss kiss bang bang 2
Frank West, May 25, 2018, 12:21:13 am
Yeah, it's good because it's essentially a buddy cop movie set in the MCU, not because it's a superhero movie. But it is kind of imbalanced about that; the movie's at its best when it's so thoroughly not Iron Man, which is typically known for fights on a large scale where Stark's setting the pace. Those parts of IM3 suck, but the parts where it's him and/or Rhodes, outgunned and outmanned and desperately trying to find ways to turn the tide of the battle.

That's something to note that I didn't, I think, that IM3 is where they seemed to find their niche of making movies that are just 'a pretty good genre film in our universe, with our characters' and the hand-in-hand trying to give them to people good at those types of movies. IM3's done by one of the kings of buddy cop movies, next up was Winter Soldier as a spy thriller. Then James Gunn's Guardians came out, there was at least an attempt to do an Edgar Wright comedy with Ant-Man, Doctor Strange was basically a kung-fu movie, we of course had Black Panther go to the director of Creed. Iron Man 3 seemed to be when they started making their movies more than just 'Marvel Movies' and giving them their own voices, and I love that.

ikaribattousai

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #503
If I had a major gripe about Iron Man 3 it would be that they dropped the PTSD the moment it was no longer relevant to the story, but other than that I really enjoyed it.

Wrought

• The Unsevered
  • Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #504
Just got back from the new Avengers. It feels like I walked out of a 2 hour long stick figure fight animation, in kind of a good way. The action was good, and the fight choreography was good, so I feel good enough about it that I'll go see the sequel. One thing I don't understand about it though:

Why does everyone say you need to see every movie to be able to understand what's going on? I saw Thor, Thor 2, the first Avengers, Iron Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy. There aren't any specifics you need to know to enjoy this movie because the story. If you use any kind of social media or have any knowledge of Marvel characters at all you'll get it, because the characters constantly shove the past events in your face. "Well, Bruce, me and Steve Rodgers don't really get along these days due to the events of Captain America: Civil War." "My name is Thor and my family is fucked up! Here are some examples from Avengers and my other movies!" "Wait a minute, we know where Knowhere is! We went there in one of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies!" Even if there were anything you needed to understand from any of the previous movies to enjoy this one, they'd be sure to rub it in your face.

Also, while I liked the action and choreography, the writing was pretty laughable. Most of the dialogue in the non-fighting scenes just comes off as bad-fanfictiony (these two characters are angry at each other because that will drive the tempo of the scene) as well as the writing in the overall story(no, main character! Don't do that incredibly dangerous thing not directly related to the main story! There's no way you won't make it out alive and totally okay!) (I think i'll kill off half the characters now, that will make people on tumblr masturbate to it more). This is on top of the fact that characters say things like "Peter, don't you make one more pop-culture reference" unironically. The dialogue writers did a bad job.

It says something about your conflict if the end result is exactly the same as it would be if none of the characters had done anything at all. This is pretty largely due to the fact that the writers seem to keep accidentally shooting characters with the "temporarily very stupid ray". It's pretty dangerous! I mean they hit Starlord and he fucked up their entire plan to subdue Thanos, they hit Captain America and he decided it was worth risking half of the life in the entire universe to try and destroy the Mind Stone without destroying Vision, they hit Red Witch and she agreed with him even when Vision repeatedly begged her to do it, they hit Dr. Strange and he gave up the Time Stone because "we're in the endgame now" (so I guess this is either part of his plan, in which case why did he lie to Tony about it, or he was hoping for the best, which is very stupid) and they hit Thor and he decided to inflict a non-fatal blow to the chest instead of to Thanos's head (which is so stupid, even Thanos points it out).

Still, despite all this, it was a really enjoyable movie, if you just like watching fights. There's nothing of any intellectual substance here, but it is just a superhero action movie, so I don't feel like I got ripped off.

Dr. Buttplug

• Formerly Jackal Flapnasty
  • Paid
  • Legendary Jizz-Wailer
Movies We've Seen Recently #505
Just got back from the new Avengers. It feels like I walked out of a 2 hour long stick figure fight animation, in kind of a good way. The action was good, and the fight choreography was good, so I feel good enough about it that I'll go see the sequel. One thing I don't understand about it though:

Why does everyone say you need to see every movie to be able to understand what's going on? I saw Thor, Thor 2, the first Avengers, Iron Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy. There aren't any specifics you need to know to enjoy this movie because the story. If you use any kind of social media or have any knowledge of Marvel characters at all you'll get it, because the characters constantly shove the past events in your face. "Well, Bruce, me and Steve Rodgers don't really get along these days due to the events of Captain America: Civil War." "My name is Thor and my family is fucked up! Here are some examples from Avengers and my other movies!" "Wait a minute, we know where Knowhere is! We went there in one of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies!" Even if there were anything you needed to understand from any of the previous movies to enjoy this one, they'd be sure to rub it in your face.

Also, while I liked the action and choreography, the writing was pretty laughable. Most of the dialogue in the non-fighting scenes just comes off as bad-fanfictiony (these two characters are angry at each other because that will drive the tempo of the scene) as well as the writing in the overall story(no, main character! Don't do that incredibly dangerous thing not directly related to the main story! There's no way you won't make it out alive and totally okay!) (I think i'll kill off half the characters now, that will make people on tumblr masturbate to it more). This is on top of the fact that characters say things like "Peter, don't you make one more pop-culture reference" unironically. The dialogue writers did a bad job.

It says something about your conflict if the end result is exactly the same as it would be if none of the characters had done anything at all. This is pretty largely due to the fact that the writers seem to keep accidentally shooting characters with the "temporarily very stupid ray". It's pretty dangerous! I mean they hit Starlord and he fucked up their entire plan to subdue Thanos, they hit Captain America and he decided it was worth risking half of the life in the entire universe to try and destroy the Mind Stone without destroying Vision, they hit Red Witch and she agreed with him even when Vision repeatedly begged her to do it, they hit Dr. Strange and he gave up the Time Stone because "we're in the endgame now" (so I guess this is either part of his plan, in which case why did he lie to Tony about it, or he was hoping for the best, which is very stupid) and they hit Thor and he decided to inflict a non-fatal blow to the chest instead of to Thanos's head (which is so stupid, even Thanos points it out).

Still, despite all this, it was a really enjoyable movie, if you just like watching fights. There's nothing of any intellectual substance here, but it is just a superhero action movie, so I don't feel like I got ripped off.
Wrought, May 26, 2018, 11:53:56 pm

I think the main thing is that most of the Marvel movies stand on their own in some capacity but this one is baffling outside of a certain context. Admittedly that context is easily absorbed via cultural osmosis, but still it can be seen as a mark against it.

Wrought

• The Unsevered
  • Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #506
That's fair, but even then all you really need to know about anybody is their superpowers, which you'll get by just watching the movie anyway. I could see it be confusing if it was literally the first marvel movie you've watched or if you didn't know literally anything

duz

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #507
And it's not like Disney/Marvel is going to try and convince people to not spend money watching the prior movies.
Wrought

Wrought

• The Unsevered
  • Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #508
Speaking of infinity money from a media monopole, I got back from the new Star Wars movie and it was alright

Not to the credit of any of the writers

The writing was probably the worst thing about the movie but somehow the talent of literally everyone else working on it managed to carry it through. Like the soundtrack is the only thing I'm a little iffy about because John Williams has been composing the same songs since the first star wars movies, but even then it's still serviceable.

The biggest flaws about the writing are just how obvious every single thing in the movie is. Storm troopers throw han to "the beast". Han solo hasn't met chewbacca yet. Han solo needs to get out of the dangerous situation he's currently in. What could possibly happen next? Han solo's girlfriend is talking to han solo about how cool the space criminal they're going to meet is. Han solo hasn't met lando calrissian yet. What could possibly happen next? Coming pretty close behind that are the constant annoying callbacks (forwards?)hey there's a guy organizing a criminal squad on tatooine you should go there after this. hey han solo i know you won't join our rebellion but maybe someday. The movie's best moments are when they're not answering questions nobody asked (uhhh how han solo get he name? from he mommy and daddy?) and instead doing radical shit (throwing a giant octopus into a black hole). Donald glover did great as lando, woody harrelson played himself again, and everyone had a good laugh at the fact darth maul showed up as a stinger

Edit: actually the more I watch of these marvel/star wars movies the more I've realized people's opinions on them are totally random every single time. The same person could see two functionally identical star wars/marvel movies and think that one was irredeemable badly written trash and the other was a fun romp

Edit 2: Actually, I guess I will talk about this. What was up with the droid-slavery stuff? I mean I guess it was just surrounding Han with more rebel types, but why would you set up a character that wants equal rights for their "people" as the punchline of a joke? I'm not saying it should have been handled differently, because if it was it'd just be more boring rote "slavery is bad" stuff, but why did it need to be in the movie anyway? It never went anywhere, it was never important, and it's frankly kind of distasteful
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 11:10:34 pm by Wrought »

Wrought

• The Unsevered
  • Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #509
I watched the Disaster Artist tonight. I read the book, and I have a lot of complicated feelings about the movie. Which is fine. Life is complicated, and when it comes to Tommy Wiseau, more so. All in all I think the movie competently displayed a few of the different themes in the book about confidence, expectations and reality. It was enjoyable, and James Franco, while not doing a PERFECT Wiseau, still manages to nail a lot of the little details in his performance, things like missing sunglasses the first time you try to grab them, despite the fact they're on your face, and the perfect 45 degree water bottle spike. Would recommend if you've read the book, would recommend reading the book first though