Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:46:09 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Halt & Catch Fire vs. Silicon Valley: A Comparative monster cockysis  (Read 5344 times)

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
(this is split from the general TV thread)
Halt and Catch Fire (the mostly fictitious story of the personal computer revolution of the mid-1980s) is fucking abysmal bullshit and I gave up on it after one episode.
Mister Smalls, June 04, 2014, 11:13:42 pm

I just watched the first episode of this last night and I have no idea what they're trying to do. Ostensibly it's a period piece of the PC revolution, except that's not what the first episode is about. The first episode is mainly about Discount Clive Owen pretending to be Ricky Roma from Glengarry/Glenn Ross except he is clearly shit at his job. There's also an engineer who spends the entire first episode sulking and refusing to participate in the show in any meaningful way except to abuse his ceaselessly supportive wife, and then Test Tube Patricia Arquette who is a computer genius in ways that are never demonstrated, because all she ever seems to do is play Centipede. Oh! Also, the whole thing takes place in Texas (which is why it's filmed in Georgia), and they made the rather bold decision to tell all the actors "Look, nobody in this show is allowed to speak in a Southern accent. So what I want you all to do, everybody here, I want everybody to collect the Southern accents you would have used and give them all to Toby Huss. Every time he's on camera he'll have to deliver enough accent for the entire cast."

This was espcially shitty because I watched this the day after I watched the last episode of Silicon Valley which is goddamn terrific and succeeds in so many ways that it's frankly embarassing to put it against Halt and Catch Fire. Silicon Valley uses words and concepts that are true to the world that it's in (GitHub, Tech Crunch Disrupt, compression rates, project forks). They don't come across as H4CK3RS style buzzwords because they're accurate to the tech that's being discussed. It's real and it's part of the language of the world they're broadcasting. Halt and Catch Fire has a scene where Discount Clive Owen goes into a garage with The Nonparticipating Actor and the two of them describe what "reverse engineering" means as they're reverse engineering a computer.  It's like two gold miners go to the Yukon and strip mine a quartz quarry while explaining to each other that quartz and gold are often found in the same areas and also that it turns out that gold is an expensive mineral. Also one of the gold miners is a wedding ring salesman and therefore it's weird that he knows anything about gold mining in the first place. That metaphor might have sucked, but it's still a whole lot better than the first episode of Halt & Catch Fire.

But that's not all! Halt & Catch Fire also uses music to stay relevant to the time period! Not Patricia Arquette goes into an office far more buttoned down than she's used to, and the scene can't really get the point across, so they throw in "The Magnificent Seven" to give her some free punk rock credentials. That's bad, but it's an improvement over an earlier montage where the two men are sitting around depressed for 3 minutes, which isn't good television unless you use XTC's Complicated Game. Okay sure that song sounds like The Damned developed cerebral palsy, but it sets the mood! The mood that we're in 1984, so therefore everybody is listening to music from 1979 which is waaaaaaaaaay more hip than the Hall & Oates shit these Texas hardware engineers would actually be listening to.

What I'm saying is (because I'm not sure I've got the point across yet) Halt & Catch Fire is awful. It's not quite "The Newsroom" level of awful, but that's a unique standard because Aaron Sorkin is a uniquely terrible writer.  But Silicon Valley is a uniquely good show, and I really hope they get another season. If you haven't seen Silicon Valley yet, I can't recommend it enough, and if you get all the way to the last episode of Silicon Valley, you're rewarded with a math problem. I do mean that literally, there's a plot point in the last episode of Silicon Valley where the software team is trying to solve a particularly enjoyable math problem. I can't sell it any better than that.
scatmaster rama Mister Smalls mailtest chai tea latte Odd eldritchhat

Mister Smalls

• Steampunk Evita original cast member
  • Paid
Also the whole arc of the engineer character (at least within episode one; like I said, I haven't watched any more) is that he sees himself as this brooding misunderstood genius, which he thinks apparently gives him carte blanche to schlup around the house drinking and generally not pulling his weight in his marriage.  But then he comes home one day, makes dinner, and fixes his kids' Speak-and-Spell, which apparently makes up completely for what must have been years of marital mistreatment, because his wife immediately tells him "You know what?  Go quit your job and embark on this ridiculously risky and unprofitable venture with Pushing Daisies Lead Guy.  Our daughters might not get to eat for a few weeks, but it's worth it for you to live your dream, honey."

I just hate media that caters to men entering their mid-life crises. 

Odd

• Paid
Please watch more episodes and give us more angry reviews for it.
As far as I can tell from Wikipedia synopsis the show continues to mess with tech-history by putting its characters directly behind key developments.

It looks like the season ended with one of the characters starting a new company that will invent the internet.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 08:50:07 pm by Odd »

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
yeah lemon angry reviews of TV shows are seriously like my favorite thing

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Okay, sure, but is it really worth me going and watching another episode of that show? I'm thinking no.

Odd

• Paid
Okay, sure, but is it really worth me going and watching another episode of that show? I'm thinking no.
Lemon, September 02, 2014, 05:14:01 pm

Well there's no dearth of bad programs for you to try and be disappointed with. Just be encouraged to share your displeasure with us.

Odd

• Paid
Please review "Scorpion".
It is a new series about a group of misfit geniuses with different fields of expertise that are hired by the government to aid them in stuff that only super-geniuses can help them with.
The main character is a supergenius hacker/programmer. It is incredibly fucking dumb and so very fucking bad.

Example of the drama: A glitch in the latest update to the LA airport control software knocked down all communications with nearby airplanes. For INTELLIGENT TECHNICAL REASONS the groups of geniuses and their government handlers commandeer a Dinner for its Wi-Fi. The owner of the establishment bails but leaves his waitress to take care of the business and close when they are done. The waitress knows these people are working to try to save thousands of passengers but she still interrupts them to tell them to stop cursing in front of her little boy.

There's barely any technobabble and yet everything technical or scientific in the show is so fucking BAD.
Like:
"The only way to reset that electronic lock for the backup storage warehouse is by overloading the local electrical grid. Math-Genius, calculate exactly how much power we need to overload the grid on that city block!"
"Exactly 5,000 Volts!"
"Mechanical-Genius can you send EXACTLY 5,000 Volts to that part of town?"
"Of course I can, it would as easy as [SMART ALLEGORY HERE]."
Mechanical-Genius opens a distribution panel on the street and flips 6 small switches down and then turns a big lever creating some sparks. This resets an electronic lock and makes metal shutters begin to withdraw.

I will not be surprised if the final "downloading scene" is made famous very soon.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:09:52 am by Odd »

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
the groups of geniuses and their government handlers commandeer a Dinner for its Wi-Fi
Odd, September 26, 2014, 12:49:48 am
I imagine a baked potato gets the best signal, since it's wrapped in tin foil.

Odd

• Paid
Oh shit. That's one N too many. I blame the fact that I have never actually visited an eatery with that title on its name. Most of the civilized world just calls them restaurants, Jankees!

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Working on a new essay about that Black Mirror Christmas Special.

Ashto

• Paid
  • I don't even know anymore
"Scorpion" is annoying, basically
Odd, September 26, 2014, 12:49:48 am

There are very few episodes where I don't catch myself muttering to myself under my breath about how disappointing I am in every character's decisions and actions. For a group of geniuses, they do manage to mess up on a lot of basic things (though I will admit they caught me off-guard one episode when its revealed that they messed up on purpose as a plot-twist). My main complaint though is that they haven't really figured out what message they're trying to give. One episode sees the cast trying to bridge the gap between "regulars" and "us smart people" as they constantly mention, yet in others they lament about how even geniuses like them cause trouble and double-cross people by... just doing what they're compelled to do?

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Working on a new essay about that Black Mirror Christmas Special.
Lemon, January 04, 2015, 01:54:34 pm

Very excited for this.

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Yay, Silicon Valley gets a second season! I really, really like this show.

The way they dealt with the death of Peter Gregory was about as artful as it could be. It's always weird when a comedy show ends up eulogizing one of its own cast members (Newsradio), so pictures of a real dead guy at a fake funeral is a little surreal, but I loved watching them bomb all their pitch meetings, then succeed the pitch meetings, then bomb the pitch meetings on purpose.

Adam Bozarth

• Your friend on the internet
  • Ridiculist
  • [File Photo]
I blew through 6 episodes of "Halt and Catch Fire" last night. I was not really interested in this show when I first heard about it, because I thought it was factual. Now, that I know it's supposed to be Mad Men for PCs, I was able to get on board. Plus, the choice to set the show in Texas instead of California is much more interesting to me. Maybe it's from repeat viewings of "True Stories," maybe it's because it means Toby Huss gets to be in the show.

The first episode was a big sluggish and not so interesting, but I found that it picks up. I have no real computer knowledge, so I assume that the tech lingo is just there to give the impression of weighty genius. It works on me. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief just the same as I do for the actors on "Silicon Valley."

The direction is not always there, and the drama feels a bit soapy, but they find a great rhythm between the characters. Toby Huss is allowed to play more of a comic relief role. The characters all get some interesting wrinkles. Joe Macmillan is a bit Draper-ish for me, but I love the evil Jobsian turns he has. He pinballs back and forth from being hero and villain that it's interesting to watch. Cameron Howe, the beautiful, homeless programming genius, is a hard sell at first. Thankfully, they give her some interesting things to do, and is not mired in being a difficult character just for the sake of it. Gordon Clark is probably the least interesting, regularly battling expectations and his own ambition. They at least don't make it the same beat every episode. Even the tired trope of going to get a must-have Cabbage Patch doll against all odds is made a bit more interesting by Gordon possibly killing a toy store owner by keeping her from getting home during Hurricane Alicia. His family life also has some moments you can really identify with, especially if you share a vocation with your significant other.

It has that AMC sheen on it that makes you tune in to check it out.  However, unlike other AMC shows like Rubicon or Low Winter Sun, it got me interested to see where else it goes. It also seems like such a ripe landscape for a television show at this time, to see the world before the information boom.

And truth be told, I only checked it out because it got a 2nd season on AMC.