Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:08:39 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Weird local slang  (Read 22894 times)

Ambious

Weird local slang
Y'all know there're things that are only named the way they are in your very local area.

This for example:

Is exclusively known in the Israeli Air-Force as...

NSFW content. Click to show.

There's also all sorts of weird pronunciations for things in my town that will only make sense in Hebrew so if I think of anything interesting that's language independent I'll add it later,

Anyway, what are some weird slang terms in your local area? I'm intrigued.
Liatai

Cheapskate

• Persnickety fussbudget
  • Paid
Weird local slang #1
In Island English, found here and in the Philippines, "nothing X" means "we don't have any X."

Example: "I'll have a smoothie." "Sorry, Sir Cheapskate, nothing bananas."

(Islanders know that Americans should be called "sir" or "miss," but also know that Americans like to be called by their first names, so Americans are usually addressed as "Sir John" or "Miss Mary.")

Islanders also use the word "already" to indicate past tense.

Example: "I already order more bananas."
Liatai nuffkins, of all people, Carbon Sherman Tank Yavuz AlbieQuirky Maxine Headroom

Liatai

• Made of tea, science, art, and dragons.
  • Paid
  • Warning: uses far too many smileys.
Weird local slang #2
"Farm time" or "mountain time." Well, usually we use "(name of rural town) time," but for the sake of this thread, I'll call it farm time.

ex. "Where IS Phil? We were supposed to meet here fifteen minutes ago!" "Dude, remember, Phil runs on farm time. He could be anywhere from an hour early to an hour late from the time you gave him. Be patient."

It's a well-understood phenomenon around here; rural folks have a long way to drive to meet up with people, and tasks always seem to either pop up at the last minute or take longer than you expect when you live in the middle of nowhere. So, folks either leave their house WAY early to compensate for potential troubles; or, they show up late because a tree fell in the road, or they had to stoke a recalcitrant wood stove's fire before leaving the house, or something.

Rural-bred folks tend to understand farm time and just nod and go on as usual if you're early or late. City-bred or suburban-bred folks have a harder time with it. It's best to err on the early side of farm time with them, though you still get some odd looks.

Oh, and jokingly, "transplant." ex. "Oh, my family's from around here, but I didn't grow up in these woods. I'm a transplant." :B
Nifty Nif

Cirr

• who is this guy again
  • Paid
  • WIIIIZAARD FORUMS
Weird local slang #3
Hi I'm from the UK, I'd be here forever if I actually went into exhaustive detail.

I'll just leave you with "slightly on the huh" -- something that is tilted or askew.

Nifty Nif

• Big Dumb Slimy Monster
  • Paid
  • powerful and can be dangreous
Weird local slang #4
I love Ohio pronunciation for local place names.  Here's a quick guide:
Dayton = Day'n
Mentor = Menner
Versailles = Ver-sails
Lima = like the bean
Russia (the one in the southern part of the state, not the north) = Ru-shie
Medina = Muh-die-nah
There are more cities and towns that have weirdly-pronounced names, I'm sure.  These are just my favorites because they're the worst offenders.
Liatai Maxine Headroom

Ambious

Weird local slang #5
In Hebrew the word "neighborhood" is slang for something that's lax in either standards, supervision, seriousness or all of the above.
Like if you go into the post office and the workers there are busy listening to loud music and talking football instead of working, you say "This place is a neighborhood" or even "They're having a neighborhood"
chai tea latte AlbieQuirky

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
  • My cat? Let me tell you about my cat...
Weird local slang #6
Not much here. The only thing I ever had someone comment on is that we use the word "spendy" a lot.

Carbon

• Paid
  • Can wink with both eyes at once
Weird local slang #7
I love Ohio pronunciation for local place names.  Here's a quick guide:
Dayton = Day'n
Mentor = Menner
Versailles = Ver-sails
Lima = like the bean
Russia (the one in the southern part of the state, not the north) = Ru-shie
Medina = Muh-die-nah
There are more cities and towns that have weirdly-pronounced names, I'm sure.  These are just my favorites because they're the worst offenders.
Nifty Nif, July 11, 2016, 06:47:35 pm

In Illinois we have a Cairo, and we pronounce it kay-row. We also pronounce both Ses in Des Plaines. I'm not sure about any local slang though.

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
Weird local slang #8
in the bay area:
San Mateo is pronounced Sam-ah-TAY-oh
Los Gatos = Loss GAT-us

Ambious

Weird local slang #9
This is less of a "slang" and more of a local joke, but the Haifa cable car is jokingly named after the testicles of the mayor at the time it was built - and simply known as "Gur-El's Balls". It looks like this:

Liatai Yavuz AlbieQuirky McShrimpsky Maxine Headroom montrith Down10

A Whirring Bone-White Gleech

• fact-lord
  • Paid
  • I was in first place, you whore!
Weird local slang #10
I live in Atlanta, and nothing's coming to mind.

We have a couple of cities and landmarks down here named after French people, and the locals have mauled those names, but that's par for the course.  For example, lake Lanier, which is pronounced like the word "near" (like "la neer", or sometimes "li neer").

Liatai

• Made of tea, science, art, and dragons.
  • Paid
  • Warning: uses far too many smileys.
Weird local slang #11
We have a Greenwich near here. You are immediately fingered as an out-of-towner or non-local if you pronounce it properly. It's "green-witch" here, not "grennitch." I got teased mercilessly about slipping up once for about a year by relatives. XP

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
Weird local slang #12

We have a couple of cities and landmarks down here named after French people, and the locals have mauled those names, but that's par for the course.  For example, lake Lanier, which is pronounced like the word "near" (like "la neer", or sometimes "li neer").
Der Trommelngleech, July 20, 2016, 01:42:23 pm

dear god really?

ask for directions in atlanta to literally anywhere and there is an immediate follow up question of, "where the fuck is the big chicken"?

see also: where the ol' schoolyard used ta be.

A Whirring Bone-White Gleech

• fact-lord
  • Paid
  • I was in first place, you whore!
Weird local slang #13

dear god really?

ask for directions in atlanta to literally anywhere and there is an immediate follow up question of, "where the fuck is the big chicken"?

jack chick, July 20, 2016, 02:44:42 pm

I assume you mean this thing:

It's actually in Marietta, not Atlanta. :P  I've lived here like 7 years and I've never had it mentioned to me.

Local story, I'm not sure if it's actually true.  That thing was damaged by a hurricane, and they had to rebuild it, because planes flying into the Atlanta airport were using it to navigate.

Nifty Nif

• Big Dumb Slimy Monster
  • Paid
  • powerful and can be dangreous
Weird local slang #14

dear god really?

jack chick, July 20, 2016, 02:44:42 pm

I assume you mean this thing:

It's actually in Marietta, not Atlanta. :P  I've lived here like 7 years and I've never had it mentioned to me.

Local story, I'm not sure if it's actually true.  That thing was damaged by a hurricane, and they had to rebuild it, because planes flying into the Atlanta airport were using it to navigate.
Der Trommelngleech, July 20, 2016, 03:22:45 pm

I love this, and Lake Lanier too, the good old ce-ment pond. I mixed this place up with another place. This is not the place I was thinking of but I still like it.

In local Ohio lore, there is Touchdown Jesus, which has been replaced with Come At Me Bro Jesus. A large statue of Jesus coming out of a pond with his arms upraised in "touchdown!" position was hit by lightning some years back, probably as an indicator of the Solid Rock Church's hubris or something. Of course, they rebuilt it with lightning rods on it, and its horrible legacy stands facing I-75 to this day.
Liatai Maxine Headroom
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 06:33:44 am by Nifty Nif »