Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 08:09:08 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Movies We've Seen Recently  (Read 208410 times)

Locclo

• Completely Wrapped in Cling-Film
  • Paid
  • Amakooooooooo!
Movies We've Seen Recently #135
Just got back from the Captain America movie and thought it was excellent. It actually focuses on the non-superhero characters, rather than just shoving them to the back for the real heroes - Nick Fury, Black Widow and Falcon actually share the spotlight with the Cap quite a bit, and even Maria Hill has a few moments. Story was great, too, with a couple of great curveballs getting thrown around as it progressed. The humor wasn't quite as strong as some of the previous movies (though that's not to say it was completely straightfaced, I just don't think the jokes were as good), but aside from that, great entry to the MCU.

CormansInferno

• Forsooth! A ravenous ghoul approaches!
  • Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #136
If David Gordon Green's Joe winds up at a thater near you, make haste. That is some Cormac McCarthy-level Southern Gothic shit. Nicholas Cage gives the first subtle performance he's had in 15 years or so and it's complete magic. He plays an ex-con making his way through the hellscape of a Texas countryside.

A Whirring Bone-White Gleech

• fact-lord
  • Paid
  • I was in first place, you whore!
Movies We've Seen Recently #137
I saw House of Voices recently and it was a seriously mixed bag.  The acting and cinematography were pretty good, and there were definitely some really freaky, creepy moments.  Shots from that movie stuck with me a lot longer than most horror movies.  They did an excellent job of setting up a creepy environment and communicating a feeling of helplessness and a fear of the unknown.

Having said that, I thoroughly hated the protagonist, who at least to me came off as a life-wrecking idiot who acted entirely on impulse and never wasted a moment on things like contemplating the consequences of your actions or listening to advice from the people who know the secrets of the haunted house.  By the end of it I was yelling at the TV, "please let her die!  Give me this, let her die!"

And - spoilers - she did.  She also got her baby killed, which I think we're supposed to view as a good thing because now they get to be spirits together in the orphanage forever and she gets to be a kind of mother to the ghosts.  Except that's an idiotic premise; if she chose to kill herself to mother the ghosts, that'd be her thing, but if she gets her newborn baby killed so she can keep it forever in the twilight between life and death, I have a problem with that.  That's a lot like what Andrea Yates did, and you know, even people who shared her religious beliefs thought she was a monster.

So on the whole, scary movie, infuriating protagonist.

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
Movies We've Seen Recently #138
Just saw Godzilla. Why are you reading this post instead of seeing Godzilla? Go to a theater and get on that shit. Seriously, you could be watching a giant monster smash the shit out of things right now.

cyclopeantrash

• Aspergers Unto Death
  • Paid
  • High velocity man-hatred fired at everything
Movies We've Seen Recently #139
Just saw Godzilla. Why are you reading this post instead of seeing Godzilla? Go to a theater and get on that shit. Seriously, you could be watching a giant monster smash the shit out of things right now.
CuddlePLEASE MAKE IT STOP RAINING, May 16, 2014, 09:50:15 pm

I haven't seen it yet but I really want to. I loved Monsters a whole hell of a lot so I can imagine that Gareth did great with Godzilla.

Mister Smalls

• Steampunk Evita original cast member
  • Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #140
I just got back from Godzilla, so here's your spoiler-free pros and cons list.

Pros:
A pitch-perfect love letter to the original Godzilla, keeping everything that was originally interesting about Godzilla intact while simultaneously perfectly updating it for a modern setting and audience.

Cons:
Literally 90 percent of the human characters are so underdeveloped and bland and terrible to watch that I did sympathize with the people who claim that there isn’t enough Godzilla in this Godzilla movie, because while they’re definitely wrong, it also definitely feels like there are 2 hours of boring humans for every monster scene.  The only exception is Bryan Cranston.

8.75 out of 10, would watch five more times in the theater.

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat
Movies We've Seen Recently #141
I kind of wish I liked The LEGO Movie more than I did, since the animation really clicked with me, but I didn't find most of the jokes that funny. All in all I found it really cute and I think you should probably watch it if you haven't already, but I didn't get the most out of it.

I also kind of sympathized with the main villain, but I don't think the message of the movie is important at all so who cares.

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Movies We've Seen Recently #142
Hey, do you like Ken Marino, Gillian Jacobs, Peter Stormere, and Stephen Root?

What about Kumail Nanjiani, Toby Huss and Patrick Warburton? Do you like them too?

Okay now, how do you feel about shitting? LOTS OF SHITTING? Do you want to just watch Ken Marino shitting for about 20 minutes straight? If so, check out Bad Milo!

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
Movies We've Seen Recently #143
Saw Maleficent yesterday. Your mileage will definitely vary and I am biased as hell for a zillion reasons, but I loved it.

Yossarian

• Sophisticated Sophistry
  • Paid
  • No one tell Hitler!
Movies We've Seen Recently #144
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Ive seen just about every Wes Anderson film except the new one now, which I'll probably watch in the next week. But I got to see this one in my summer class on Anderson. It definately suffered along the line in production. You can tell sometimes that the cast just didn't have the same sense of family that they did in The Royal Tenenbaums. There are also some action sequences that just plain suck (and one that's hilariously good). However this is a really good movie, probably one of my favorites. The soundtrack is simply amazing (as usual with Anderson) especially everything don by Seu Jorge. One of the rare films that made me choke up toward the end. Its not perfect but is pretty fucking great. I liked it more than Moonrise Kingdom anyway.

STOG

• im baby
  • Ridiculist
  • thiis is bernie bro, to me
Movies We've Seen Recently #145
Southern Comfort is a movie that Walter Hill directed. Yes, he did something other than The Warriors.

It's not bad - I thought the idea of Louisiana National Guard soldiers getting stuck in the bayou with little ammo while being chased by hunters was pretty cool. If you've seen The Warriors, though, then the movie follows almost the same plotline - National Guard members do stupid things, get lost, get shot, chased, fight each other, and try to find their way back home. The Warriors didn't have pigs (actual pigs, not the police) being shot in the head, though.

Horza

• Emissary of Commandante Aligheri
  • Paid
  • DEFY THE SPACETHORITIES!
Movies We've Seen Recently #146
The Unknown Known is a sequel to Fog of War: in both films Errol Morris interviews an octogenarian former United States Defense Secretary who materially contributed to plunging the United States into a disastrous war.

The Unknown Known is not a sequel to Fog of War: Donald Rumsfeld is not wrestling with his past. He is not looking to rationalise or justify his actions. He doesn't have lessons for us. He'll explain what he thinks he was doing, but if the record says the opposite? Ok, whatever.

Were it fiction Chris Morris or Armando Iannucci would turn this script down, it's too bleak.

CormansInferno

• Forsooth! A ravenous ghoul approaches!
  • Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #147
Holy shit, folks. Holy holy shit. 22 Jump Street is the first sequel to a comedy movie that is better than the original, not to mention Ice Cube's most magical performance in a major motion picture.

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat
Movies We've Seen Recently #148
I watched Space Jam yesterday for the first time since I was a child.

The premise is even more nonsensical than I remembered. All in all, enjoyable to watch again, but not a very good movie.

Tiny Prancer

• Tiny and angry
  • Paid
  • please be more respectable to physics
Movies We've Seen Recently #149
I stand firmly by the premise that Space Jam would have been a hundred times better if instead of introducing Lola to be Bugs' love interest, the love interest character was Bugs in drag moving very quickly between two spots at once and no one but Jordan noticed or questioned this

Debating what would have made Space Jam better is ultimately a lesson in time wasted but still.
nigeline Zsa Zsa chai tea latte