Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 01:30:06 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Movies We've Seen Recently  (Read 208482 times)

Locclo

• Completely Wrapped in Cling-Film
  • Paid
  • Amakooooooooo!
Movies We've Seen Recently #150
Holy shit, folks. Holy holy shit. 22 Jump Street is the first sequel to a comedy movie that is better than the original, not to mention Ice Cube's most magical performance in a major motion picture.
CormansInferno, June 12, 2014, 05:58:35 am

This man speaks the truth. 22 Jump Street was honestly one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. It somehow managed to fit in an interesting story, great character development with regards to the two main characters and their relationships with each other, some incredibly meta humor ("It's like a cube...made of ice!") making fun of movie sequels and typical conventions of filmmaking, and all without deviating from the formula that made the first one so amazing.

Seriously, go see it, it's absolutely amazing.

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
Movies We've Seen Recently #151
Last night I watched Sound of My Voice, and holy shit, what a fascinating movie.

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Movies We've Seen Recently #152
Couple minutes ago I finished a 1968 Criterion documentary called Salesman, also known as The Thing David Mamet Watched Right Before He Wrote Glengarry Glen Ross, and it hits all the same notes.

Four chainsmoking door to door salesmen are selling overpriced tacky bibles to Catholics who cannot afford it. They buy their customer list from churches and then bang on doors to make the argument that their lives would be better if they had a bible that costs $350 in today's money. Obviously none of these families have that kind of money on-hand, so they pay in installments. The bible salesmen then also work as collectors, and they charge a vig.

It's filmed in black and white, which is appropriate as the movie is bleak as fuck. The salesmen are all piled together in a shitty hotel room, spending a 10 week stretch away from their families as the drive around Florida burning down their customer list. When they manage to get in the door, the prospective customers look beaten and sad. There's no joy in the prospect of them owning a tacky bible, just the looming debt that this proposition brings. Every sales pitch looks more like a police interrogation than anything else, the salesmen with unbreaking focus on a person who never makes eye contact, just hanging their head and answering softly, hoping that they can just keep saying "no" until the bad man goes away.

The movie looks as old as it is and the low budget is also quite visible, but I think that works in this place. The visible camera and shabby production values just help to make the thing seem desolate and claustrophobic, and there's no voiceover or interview or manipulation or artificial story arc. Just "Hey, this is what it is". I really prefer that in documentaries - if your subject is as interesting as you say it is, it should be enough to film and edit. And in this case, I think it was.

The same guys also did that Rolling Stones movie about the Hell's Angel murder. I think I might watch that next.
chai tea latte

Mister Smalls

• Steampunk Evita original cast member
  • Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #153
Earth to Echo is one of the most listless capitalizations on classic Spielberg shmaltz I’ve ever seen, less of a movie and more of a giant unorganized pile of tropes that get thrown into a sequence by filmmakers who cared more about playing to nostalgia than they did about telling us anything we didn’t already know.  Characters say and do things not because they might really or naturally say or do them, but so that the plot can move forward, and it’s a plot we’ve all seen a dozen times before in movies made by the pros.

But hey, it was better than Super 8.

Fanzay

• Failson Prime
  • Paid
  • Turned on is the wrong word
Movies We've Seen Recently #154
Crank: High Voltage. Thanks Lemon! [drink]

Sovereign

• Self-proclaimed writer
  • Paid
  • none pizza left beef
Movies We've Seen Recently #155
Last night I watched the Korean revenge flick "I Saw The Devil" (2010) It was pretty decent, and I never want to watch it again in my life. I became intrigued when I found that people were comparing it to Oldboy, which I suppose is similar enough, plus the dude from that movie (Choi Min-sik) plays a really convincing evil bastard in this one. However, I Saw The Devil felt like it went on forever and just didn't seem to have enough charm or character. The only thing that made it possible to breathe again after some of the more gruesome and cruel scenes was the well coordinated fighting, although it's never explained why the protagonist is a badass in the first place.
So, 7.5/10, I'm going to spend the next few days forgetting about everything in this movie.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 05:40:17 pm by Sovereign »

cyclopeantrash

• Aspergers Unto Death
  • Paid
  • High velocity man-hatred fired at everything
Movies We've Seen Recently #156
Willow Creek: Bobcat Goldthwait directing a found footage horror film. It's really good

STOG

• im baby
  • Ridiculist
  • thiis is bernie bro, to me
Movies We've Seen Recently #157
Hey guys, the Alan Partridge movie is on Netflix right now. It's called Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa. You should go watch it.

If you don't know who he is: Alan Partridge is a self-absorbed fucking buffoon, one who causes comedy to happen by hurting people's feelings and by being a socially maladjusted fool. He does things that come back to bite him in his dumb ass in the funniest way possible. There's plenty of him on Youtube if you want to give him a spin.

It's a fantastic movie - Alan is forced to be the police negotiator after an employee at the radio station he works at goes nuts and takes other employees hostage at gunpoint. He lets it get to his head, and decides that it would be a great opportunity to advance his career.

Sherlockian

• Library handwriting. Indexing. Abstracting. Alphabetizing. Filing.
  • Paid
  • File under Z695.95 S54
Movies We've Seen Recently #158
Guardians of the Galaxy. SO AMAZING. SO RIDICULOUS. SO WONDERFUL.

🍆

• Spongy Wood Witch
  • Paid
  • Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge cunt
Movies We've Seen Recently #159
Hey guys, the Alan Partridge movie is on Netflix right now. It's called Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa. You should go watch it.

If you don't know who he is: Alan Partridge is a self-absorbed fucking buffoon, one who causes comedy to happen by hurting people's feelings and by being a socially maladjusted fool. He does things that come back to bite him in his dumb ass in the funniest way possible. There's plenty of him on Youtube if you want to give him a spin.

It's a fantastic movie - Alan is forced to be the police negotiator after an employee at the radio station he works at goes nuts and takes other employees hostage at gunpoint. He lets it get to his head, and decides that it would be a great opportunity to advance his career.
STOG, August 03, 2014, 01:02:17 am
Aw man, I was coming here to post this.

Everyone should give his sitcom I'm Alan Partridge a shot too, it does have a laugh track (ahh, the 90s) but it's absolutely hilarious.

A great documentary that's been on Netflix a while is Pervert's Guide to Ideology. It's around 2 hours of nothing but Slavoj Zizek talking over (and being transplanted into) clips from classic films. It rules.

🍆

• Spongy Wood Witch
  • Paid
  • Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge cunt
Movies We've Seen Recently #160
Guardians of the Galaxy. SO AMAZING. SO RIDICULOUS. SO WONDERFUL.
sherlockian, August 03, 2014, 05:42:08 pm
Just saw this and I concur. I'm not a comic book movie fan at all, but it holds up well and the characters are hilarious. Kind of like what I wanted Firefly to be before I actually watched it.

Tiny Prancer

• Tiny and angry
  • Paid
  • please be more respectable to physics
Movies We've Seen Recently #161
Saw GoTG yesterday with my mom. It's not my favorite marvel movie, but I had a lot of fun watching it and I liked the bits of space society it showcased. Personally I would have loved a movie that centered specifically around Rocket and Groot, but I am the kind of person who's into the idea of a movie about the two weirdest characters.

also:

I knew that Howard the Duck was going to show up at the end but I did not expect him to look that ducklike, as opposed to a donald duck kind of duck like he's traditionally been. It was kind of terrifying.

Mister Smalls

• Steampunk Evita original cast member
  • Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #162
My dad wanted to see Let's Be Cops for his birthday.

It is everything that's wrong with America.

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
Movies We've Seen Recently #163
Last night I watched Sherlock Holmes and the Spider Woman (1944) for the third time. It is a magnificent movie for several reasons, not least of which is that Basil Rathbone's Holmes gets straight-up punched in the throat by the Platonic Ideal of Fat Dumb Tuba-Playing Watson. (If you can find the movie on youtube, it's at about 9 minutes in, and the best thing ever.) Also for some reason (because 40s?), Holmes thinks it's entirely appropriate to black up and pretend to be an Indian soldier.

Earlier today was The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1939), which is quite possibly peak Fat Dumb Tuba-Playing Watson, and features Basil Rathbone attempting a Cockney accent that just about rivals Dick Van Dyke's in Mary Poppins.

Right now it's Sherlock Holmes in Washington (1943), which is, thus far, tremendously entertaining. Particularly the 1940s caricature of the blustery American politician. It could also be called Sherlock Holmes And The Real Live Black Man Who's Not Just A White Dude In Offensive Makeup, or Sherlock Holmes And The Surprisingly Unprofessional BBC Reporting.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 01:15:10 pm by Cuddleclobbermonger »

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Movies We've Seen Recently #164
Me and my roomies watched Poseidon Rex. It starts with some criminals exploding an underwater sand dune, which reveals a sunken Spanish galleon full of Mayan gold and an aquatic version of a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Then things get stupid.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:08:30 pm by montrith »