Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 11:20:32 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Movies We've Seen Recently  (Read 208450 times)

I, EmmaGhost

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #165
Then things get stupid.
montrith, September 18, 2014, 01:56:20 pm

Sounds like my recent experience with Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. My dad found the bluray for $5. "I couldn't resist!" At least the slo-mo axe dancing was fun to watch. It's like watching those cheerleaders with the wooden rifles and batons, except it would be half as impressive without the blood and vampire hordes.

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
Movies We've Seen Recently #166
i saw the octagon starring chuck norris

it wasn't very good

I, EmmaGhost

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #167
I just rewatched Park Chan-Wook's I'm a Cyborg, But That's Okay and it was just as good as the first. It's far lighter fare than the Vengeance trilogy, but it's so enjoyable to watch.

Locclo

• Completely Wrapped in Cling-Film
  • Paid
  • Amakooooooooo!
Movies We've Seen Recently #168
I've recently been watching through the hilarious series of RiffTrax Live shows, and they're absolutely hysterical. If you've never heard of them, what these guys do is they'll turn on a movie, usually an old, crappy one, and make jokes about what's going on in the movie, usually on the cheap effects or bad acting/writing. I've always found their live shows to be much funnier, for some reason, but they're all really funny.

I highly recommend Sharknado, Birdemic: Shock and Terror, and House on Haunted Hill.

I, EmmaGhost

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #169
I've recently been watching through the hilarious series of RiffTrax Live shows, and they're absolutely hysterical. If you've never heard of them, what these guys do is they'll turn on a movie, usually an old, crappy one, and make jokes about what's going on in the movie, usually on the cheap effects or bad acting/writing. I've always found their live shows to be much funnier, for some reason, but they're all really funny.

I highly recommend Sharknado, Birdemic: Shock and Terror, and House on Haunted Hill.
Locclo, September 25, 2014, 04:42:48 pm

Also worth mentioning, it's by Mike Nelson and the gang (MST3K.) Seconding the rec!

nigeline

• Willy Dang Doodle
  • Paid
  • All you do is dump
Movies We've Seen Recently #170

Also worth mentioning, it's by Mike Nelson and the gang (MST3K.) Seconding the rec!
brianabird, September 25, 2014, 08:10:08 pm
Glad to see your Wisconsinism isn't outweighing your love for MST3K.

I, EmmaGhost

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #171

brianabird, September 25, 2014, 08:10:08 pm
Glad to see your Wisconsinism isn't outweighing your love for MST3K.
nigeline, September 25, 2014, 11:02:15 pm
And you know what's crazy? I have a coworker who graduated with Joel. I've seen him a couple times and geeked out privately. I work down the street from his high school. It's crazy, man.

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked
Movies We've Seen Recently #172
I saw Haxan a Swedish silent film about witchcraft.  It was pretty good, it had cool Hell scenes and the devil jerks off a butter churn while three demons buttfuck each other in a line

It's a little long so if you can stand a 3 hour silent film watch it

5 stars would watch again

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
Movies We've Seen Recently #173
I saw Haxan a Swedish silent film about witchcraft.  It was pretty good, it had cool Hell scenes and the devil jerks off a butter churn while three demons buttfuck each other in a line

It's a little long so if you can stand a 3 hour silent film watch it

5 stars would watch again
Smoking Crow, September 26, 2014, 06:54:11 am
Seconded hard. If the silence bugs anyone, there's a version with William S. Burroughs narration. Both are available free on the Internet archive, and there's a great criterion edition too.

P.S. of anyone in a metal band needs footage for a music video, you just found the public domain film of your dreams.

Tiny Prancer

• Tiny and angry
  • Paid
  • please be more respectable to physics
Movies We've Seen Recently #174
The local cinema circle, which does one-night showings of movies, had Who Framed Roger Rabbit on tonight, and I went and saw it. It's the first time I've seen it since I was like eleven and was on a bus with TVs in it and wasn't that close to the screen so I didn't hear or understand a lot of it, so getting to see it on a big screen and actually understand it was pretty cool (and the audience for it was great, because they were super into the jokes). Tomorrow night they're showing Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, which I might go see as well, and next week they've got The Goonies, Space Odyssey and The Shining, which I definitely want to see (space odyssey and the shining at least, not sure about The Goonies).

Also they're gonna having a showing of Nosferatu with a live orchestra on Halloween night and are having a Tarantino weekend in January when my birthday is happening, so they've got a hell of a cool lineup planned.

I, EmmaGhost

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #175
The local cinema circle, which does one-night showings of movies, had Who Framed Roger Rabbit on tonight, and I went and saw it. It's the first time I've seen it since I was like eleven and was on a bus with TVs in it and wasn't that close to the screen so I didn't hear or understand a lot of it, so getting to see it on a big screen and actually understand it was pretty cool (and the audience for it was great, because they were super into the jokes). Tomorrow night they're showing Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, which I might go see as well, and next week they've got The Goonies, Space Odyssey and The Shining, which I definitely want to see (space odyssey and the shining at least, not sure about The Goonies).

Also they're gonna having a showing of Nosferatu with a live orchestra on Halloween night and are having a Tarantino weekend in January when my birthday is happening, so they've got a hell of a cool lineup planned.
Tiny Prancer, September 26, 2014, 10:39:00 pm

That sounds like a lot of fun! Last Halloween movie I went to was Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Oriental in Milwaukee. It was an experience, but never doing that again.

I've had Paprika sitting unopened from my last venture to the Mega Media Exchange. Finally watched it last night, and I still don't get it, but it was pretty and a lot of fun!

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Movies We've Seen Recently #176
next week they've got The Goonies, Space Odyssey and The Shining, which I definitely want to see (space odyssey and the shining at least, not sure about The Goonies).Tiny Prancer, September 26, 2014, 10:39:00 pm

Not sure about seeing The Goonies on an actual cinema screen?

I thought I knew you, Tiny Prancer.

Tiny Prancer

• Tiny and angry
  • Paid
  • please be more respectable to physics
Movies We've Seen Recently #177
I've never seen the goonies so I have no opinion about it, that's why. (which I'm sure is even worse in your opinion.)

Paprika's great, it's not my absolute favorite Satoshi Kon work but it's still pretty great (and the subplot about the policeman's failed film career has become extra sad since Kon died in the middle of production for the film he was making after Paprika.)

So I did end up seeing Pee-Wee's Big Adventure tonight, and while I don't think it's my favorite movie or anything now, I enjoyed watching it a lot. It's hard to not be into the scene where he dances on the bar or when he runs out of the store with his hands full of snakes. Plus the event was a charity fundraiser for a local artist who's having kidney problems, so it was nice to contribute to that.

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
Movies We've Seen Recently #178
The Goonies is a really accurate depiction of what it's like to spend time trying to herd a group of nine-to-twelve-year-old boys. I had fun, but afterwards I was just exhausted.

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
Movies We've Seen Recently #179
Crowsnest is an entirely generic slasher movie.  Does any of the following sound familiar: lost in the woods, poor cellphone signal, watching people's boots while hiding underneath things, strange little girls, cannibal hicks, and 'we've got to keep a record, like, for the police'?  Then you have already seen Crowsnest.

You're Next is much better though not super original.  Unlike Crowsnest, which is just drawn out, You're Next builds a lot of very good tension, and features a really competent female protagonist, as well as a bunch of total assholes who you're not super upset to see die.  I've seen better home invasion movies, but if you feel like watching a movie about dudes trying to get in your house, this is some quality dudes trying to get in your house.

Boxtrolls is the weakest Laika movie so far, but it's still a damn good movie.  It's a bit messy with what message it's trying to get across (there's two or three) and some of the adult characters feel more caricatured than usual, but those are really the biggest flaws in an inventive and well-crafted movie.  The jokes are good, the animation is fantastic, and the designs are great.  Still worth watching if you're into it, but I wouldn't, say, recommend it to my non-animation-nerd friends like I would with Paranorman.