Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 10:37:18 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Movies We've Seen Recently  (Read 208443 times)

Dawnswalker

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #360
Star Trek: Beyond was not nearly as bad as I was expecting, since I was expecting it to be worse than Into Darkness, which is not true. It felt closer in spirit to the TV show than the "new Trek" movies have managed so far, and some of the misadventures were so delightfully stupid it was endearing.

If you just really need to spend 2 hours in an air-conditioned and dark room with popcorn, it's great!

CormansInferno

• Forsooth! A ravenous ghoul approaches!
  • Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #361
I saw Sausage Party at a free screening and it's much better than I was expecting. It's basically Ken Russell's Veggie Tales. And like The Devils they had to cut 40 minutes of gory violence and orgies from it. Ed Begley Jr. playing Woody Allen is almost worth the price of admission.

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
Movies We've Seen Recently #362
I saw a poster of that in town and the hot dog bun lady with the vertical mouth was absolutely horrifying, is the effect better in motion?

CormansInferno

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #363
I saw a poster of that in town and the hot dog bun lady with the vertical mouth was absolutely horrifying, is the effect better in motion?
EYE OF ZA, August 07, 2016, 08:47:31 pm

No, it's intentional body horror (there is a lot of body horror in this).

Nikaer Drekin

• One-Man Nic Cage Fan Club
  • Paid
  • "My burrito is a big deal"
Movies We've Seen Recently #364
Nerve is a movie about an online game where people dare you to do outrageous things on camera for money. It is pretty stupid and ridiculous. However, it's also super entertaining and, not counting Rifftrax Live specials, I don't know if I can remember a time I've laughed this much at a movie theater. Not for the most part at things the filmmakers would have wanted, but there were genuinely funny gags and some compelling action sequences too! As long as you're well aware ahead of time what to expect, I highly recommend checking it out.

On the other hand, I have no idea why Jason Bourne was even made in the first place. Did Matt Damon just want an excuse to get into "beatin' dudes up" shape again? It's passable enough, but none of the characters are especially interesting and it does literally nothing that the first three films haven't done in a much better way already. They kind of try to do some *relevant social commentary* and name-drop Edward Snowden a few times, but there's nothing really meaningful here.

Knitting Machine

• Paid
  • Buried in Yarn
Movies We've Seen Recently #365
I saw Kubo and the Two Strings last night and I've been quietly stunned by how good it was all day.

moooo566 (taylor's version)

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #366
Holy shit Transformers Age of Extinction is unrepentantly bad in almost every way. I guess it looks good, but I hate all the characters and the writing and the story and all that is two and a half fucking hours.

edit: "those nasty soldiers following us..."

"That's leadership, or something"
"No, that's Optimus Prime"
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:44:47 am by moooo566 »

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
Movies We've Seen Recently #367
I saw Kubo and the Two Strings last night and I've been quietly stunned by how good it was all day.
Knitting Machine, August 23, 2016, 08:47:04 am

I saw it with my sister, who's a big nerd for everything Japan, and she came out impressed with it.  Laika is my favorite animation studio at this point, I think.

Yavuz

• Fave: Heavily Excessive Prekumquatxop
  • Paid
  • whats up you cem loving fuck
Movies We've Seen Recently #368
Holy shit Transformers Age of Extinction is unrepentantly bad in almost every way. I guess it looks good, but I hate all the characters and the writing and the story and all that is two and a half fucking hours.

edit: "those nasty soldiers following us..."

"That's leadership, or something"
"No, that's Optimus Prime"
moooo566, August 28, 2016, 03:22:12 am

Did you need to know how to cry/not to cry while watching it?

Kaleidoscope

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #369
I Finally got to see Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. Oh my god, that movie was so funny. Plus, it had the talented Alan Tudyk who needs more work

CormansInferno

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #370
I have no idea when it will be out, but Antibirth is perhaps Natasha Lyonne's finest performance. Manages to stick the landing between dirtbag stoner comedy and squirming body horror (with a dash of Carpenter thrown in). Especially appreciated how it took the goo-drenched special effects movies of the 80s' and made its own thing instead of sampling purely for nostalgia's sake. The last 3 minutes or so kinda spin out of control, but the penultimate scene reminds me of the bit in They Live where Nada runs into the homeless guy who sold out. 

znarf

• Paid
  • aka Ludwig von Bangthoven
Movies We've Seen Recently #371
I saw "Look who's back" today.  That was different.  I enjoyed it.

Nikaer Drekin

• One-Man Nic Cage Fan Club
  • Paid
  • "My burrito is a big deal"
Movies We've Seen Recently #372
A few I watched fairly recently:

Jane Got A Gun: Not terrible, but pretty underwhelming, especially considering there's a fair amount of talent involved. I wrote a more detailed review, if any of you would like to check it out.

I finally saw Sweeney Todd, and it was really good! A bittersweet reminder of when Tim Burton made good movies (though I thought Big Eyes was okay). Of course, how much of the credit should go to Sondheim and Wheeler I couldn't say.

Crash was interesting in places and incredibly cringe-worthy at others; I'm still not sure how I feel about it. There were good performances, and the story structure was neat, but its depictions of racism are often so insane that it becomes hard to take seriously.

Just watched The Straight Story tonight; it was great, and also compelling proof that, apart from his David Lynchier tendencies, David Lynch is still an incredibly good filmmaker.

lazzer grardaion?

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #373
Godzilla Resurgence is very weird, very funny, and very *VERY* Japanese. Evangelion director Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi both brought their A-games, and produced something that has touches of both their distinctive styles, while being totally unique. Not your typical Godzilla movie, not your typical anything. It's only playing in a fairly limited number of theaters, and this week only, so go see it if you have the opportunity!

If you're still on the fence about it, click onwards:

You know how in so many movies, Godzilla smashes trains and buildings? Well this is the first time that the trains and buildings get to fight back.
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Achilles' Heelies Ashto

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
Movies We've Seen Recently #374
Godzilla Resurgence is very weird, very funny, and very *VERY* Japanese. Evangelion director Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi both brought their A-games, and produced something that has touches of both their distinctive styles, while being totally unique. Not your typical Godzilla movie, not your typical anything. It's only playing in a fairly limited number of theaters, and this week only, so go see it if you have the opportunity!

If you're still on the fence about it, click onwards:

You know how in so many movies, Godzilla smashes trains and buildings? Well this is the first time that the trains and buildings get to fight back.
LancashireMcGee, October 12, 2016, 06:26:20 pm
Does Godzilla chill in an elevator with another Godzilla for like 5 minutes?