Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:07:52 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Episode 107: Trash At Demonhead  (Read 22189 times)

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Episode 107: Trash At Demonhead
with Boots Raingear, Isfahan, John, Jimmyfranks, Bunnybread, and Lemon.

Edited by Isfahan

Content for this episode was provided by Cheapskate

It's hard for an independent game developer to break into the business. With average budgets for high profile games now exceeding $20 million, and an ever increasing number of different publishers competing over market share, how is a guy with no education and no experience going to create, publish and market his own game? The answer is simple: He's not! And that's totally fine, because the game he would have created would have just been a rehash of other games using characters he didn't own the rights to. We're looking at the Fantendo wiki - a place where people can skip game development and cut straight to game journalism. Because really, the journalism's the most sophisticated part. This week, The F Plus needs to stay radical or it will implode!

Cheapskate

• Persnickety fussbudget
  • Paid
Episode 107: Trash At Demonhead #1
When do we get an F Plus kart racer?

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Episode 107: Trash At Demonhead #2
When do we get an F Plus kart racer?
Cheapskate, August 01, 2013, 03:41:06 am

I'm more interested in the Fplus karaoke game. I hear Lemon does a duet with Lady.
Sherman Tank

TheCrawlingChaos

• IWASWONDERINGIFTHEREWEREANYSTORIESWHEREJENSENISACATPERSONANDJAREDISADOGPERSONANDSOMEHOWTHISISACOMPLICATIONINTHEIRRELATIONSHIP?!?
  • Paid
  • Messenger of the Outer Gods
Episode 107: Trash At Demonhead #3
First off, props to Isfahan for the Scott Pilgrim retro Nintendo (this is probably a rough guide to my age) reference. Second, this episode made me realize something about the phenomenon of hearing other people talk endlessly about the media they're totally gonna create, yougaiz. With a novel, or a movie, or even a webcomic you can usually get vaguely interested if there's at least a semi-coherent narrative going on or characters that are interesting or even just a cool-sounding setting. However, the interactivity of video games means that hearing about them secondhand is automatically going to be even more boring than any of the aforementioned media. Say what you will about the potential of video games for good storytelling, but in the end people are usually going to actually play the game for the gameplay, which is something that's barely entertaining to watch someone else do, let alone just hear about the mechanics of. This site, and by extension video game pitches in general, somehow manage to take the concept of talking endlessly about the creative work you're never going to actually make and makes it even more tedious to listen to.

Now, let me tell you all about the English literature-themed fighting game that my husband and I have been talk... er, working on for years.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 09:50:53 am by TheCrawlingChaos »

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Episode 107: Trash At Demonhead #4
Now, let me tell you all about the English literature-themed fighting game that my husband and I have been talk... er, working on for years.
TheCrawlingChaos, August 01, 2013, 06:42:38 am

Regarding that, can you use Hardy's Depressing Fatalism to defeat  Leopold Bloom's Potato, or do you need to use  Lady Windermere's Fan for that?

TheCrawlingChaos

• IWASWONDERINGIFTHEREWEREANYSTORIESWHEREJENSENISACATPERSONANDJAREDISADOGPERSONANDSOMEHOWTHISISACOMPLICATIONINTHEIRRELATIONSHIP?!?
  • Paid
Episode 107: Trash At Demonhead #5

Regarding that, can you use Hardy's Depressing Fatalism to defeat  Leopold Bloom's Potato, or do you need to use  Lady Windermere's Fan for that?
montrith, August 01, 2013, 07:29:57 am

That depends. If Joyce is tag-teaming with Beckett or Yeats they can cancel it with either Absurdist Confusion or Gay Eyes respectively but otherwise he'll go down pretty quickly to Hardy. As for Wilde, what with him being the character who canonically wins the tournament against gestalt entity Shakespeare his move list is probably the most balanced (Ryu-style) so a good base understanding of the game means you can usually win with him against whoever.

(Hey, you asked.)

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Episode 107: Trash At Demonhead #6
I'm assuming there's an attack called "Gravity's Rainbow"?
Sherman Tank

TheCrawlingChaos

• Paid
Episode 107: Trash At Demonhead #7
I'm assuming there's an attack called "Gravity's Rainbow"?
Lemon, August 01, 2013, 08:45:12 am

I don't think Pynchon is a character yet, actually. Good thought, though.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Episode 107: Trash At Demonhead #8
First off, props to Isfahan for the Scott Pilgrim reference.TheCrawlingChaos, August 01, 2013, 06:42:38 am

You dang kids these days! It wasn't a Scott Pilgrim reference, it was an actual Nintendo game reference! Where do you think the Scott Pilgrim writer got the name from? His own creativity? Pshah!

Second, this episode made me realize something about the phenomenon of hearing other people talk endlessly about the media they're totally gonna create, yougaiz.

Well, that's what makes this so baffling. These people aren't even deluding themselves or trying to delude others into thinking they're gonna make these games. They just type up a wiki entry like the game already exists and then they dust their hands off and go "that was fun" and then nobody continues to care.

TheCrawlingChaos

• Paid
Episode 107: Trash At Demonhead #9
First off, props to Isfahan for the Scott Pilgrim reference.TheCrawlingChaos, August 01, 2013, 06:42:38 am

You dang kids these days! It wasn't a Scott Pilgrim reference, it was an actual Nintendo game reference! Where do you think the Scott Pilgrim writer got the name from? His own creativity? Pshah!Isfahan, August 01, 2013, 09:33:29 am

Oops. I knew I should have double-checked that before I posted. Sorry, sir.

Well, that's what makes this so baffling. These people aren't even deluding themselves or trying to delude others into thinking they're gonna make these games. They just type up a wiki entry like the game already exists and then they dust their hands off and go "that was fun" and then nobody continues to care.

Yeah, okay, "totally going to create" is probably an overstatement in this case. The mindset is so weird even compared with the Kickstarter and invention episodes where the people showcased are at least trying to aspire to something. Even if it never gets beyond the aspirational level it's still a dream of seeing it actualized instead of just pretending wholesale that it is actualized. Unless some of them are deluding themselves that by compiling it all like this it'll be a good way to sell a pitch to an interested studio, which is almost as sad.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 09:51:43 am by TheCrawlingChaos »

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Episode 107: Trash At Demonhead #10
I used to be a moderator on an RPGMaker forum. These people are literally worse than the worst people on an RPGMaker forum. It took a few moments for me to have that properly sink in.

icarus

• orko in training
  • Paid
  • a very special episode
Episode 107: Trash At Demonhead #11
the depth of the fantasy these guys go into is just
wow

i mean they imagine their own DLC

why even bother? why not just IMAGINE THAT'S PART OF THE GAME FROM THE START

nilvoid

• FUCK COMPOSE FUCK MELODY
  • Paid
  • DEDICATED TO NO ONE THANKS TO NO ONE ART IS OVER
Episode 107: Trash At Demonhead #12
What happens to the player character in "Awedio" when you play the Twin Peaks theme?

Psammetichus

• ᕕ(⊙ω⊙)ᕗ
  • Paid
  • O damn'd Sonic! O inhuman hog!
Episode 107: Trash At Demonhead #13
Goddammit, I've been pronouncing Bon Iver wrong this entire time.

Cheapskate

• Persnickety fussbudget
  • Paid
Episode 107: Trash At Demonhead #14
Clash at Demonhead was actually a pretty fun game - a platformer with a couple of RPG elements and a good sense of humor. I recommend it.