Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:49:46 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: If we're really quiet, maybe they won't notice that we're talking about ANIME  (Read 165136 times)

Seth "Slimy" Rollins

• I Waterboard Clowns For A Living And I Fucked Up Real Bad
  • Paid
  • ratfucking ourselves into oblivion
what if all might genuinely has no idea that america is an entity. like he just thinks that he's making up words. he sceams "delaware smash" and uppercuts some dipshit into the stratosphere and a tourist asks him if he's been to the usa and he just has no idea what the fuck it is
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

duz

• Paid
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime is just really wholesome and fun.  A salaryman at a general contractor gets stabbed to death and ends up getting reincarnated as a slime in a generic d&d world where he starts absorbing things and defeating his enemies thru kindness.
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Shigan

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
  • My cat? Let me tell you about my cat...
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime is just really wholesome and fun.  A salaryman at a general contractor gets stabbed to death and ends up getting reincarnated as a slime in a generic d&d world where he starts absorbing things and defeating his enemies thru kindness.
duz, January 22, 2019, 10:17:25 pm

So, I watched this out of curiosity, and it's so adorable!

ikaribattousai

• Paid
A trailer for the next Makoto Shinkai movie was brought to my attention today, and it looks beautiful if nothing else. Looks like he's working with Radwimps on music again, too! I loved Your Name so I'm pretty hype for this.

Salubrious Rex

• Paid
I finally got around to watching Neon Genesis Evangelion (a bit late to that party I guess) but I really enjoyed it up to and including the startling appearance of David Lynch but I still haven't got around to watching any of the films.

Dr. Buttplug

• Formerly Jackal Flapnasty
  • Paid
  • Legendary Jizz-Wailer
Ok I need help, Funimation is being not fun.

I'm trying to find a way to watch episodes 4-5 of Ghost in the Shell: Arise. It seems the first three eps were on Netflix which is where I watched them. Then I saw that Amazon had ten eps, but that's just the first three cut down into smaller episodes I think? The DVD/BluRays are all confusingly labeled and don't even necessarily work in my region. Are there more episodes than there is listed on the wikipedia page?

Also is Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie like a movie version of stand alone complex or a remake or what?

duz

• Paid
 Ghost in the Shell: Arise is four 60 minute episodes.
 Ghost in the Shell Arise: Alternative Architecture is those four episodes split into eight 25 minute episodes plus two new 25 minute episodes.  Also episode 4 of Arise was moved to the beginning and is episodes 1 and 2 of Arise: Alternative.
 Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie is a movie sequel to the Arise series.
Dr. Buttplug

Dr. Buttplug

• Paid
  • Legendary Jizz-Wailer
Ghost in the Shell: Arise is four 60 minute episodes.
 Ghost in the Shell Arise: Alternative Architecture is those four episodes split into eight 25 minute episodes plus two new 25 minute episodes.  Also episode 4 of Arise was moved to the beginning and is episodes 1 and 2 of Arise: Alternative.
 Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie is a movie sequel to the Arise series.
duz, May 04, 2019, 08:59:24 pm

That clarifies some things. I do think I figured out why there are only some episodes on DVD and on Netflix. I think Funimation is keeping parts of that series exclusive to their streaming subscription service. As best I can tell that's the one place to get all the Ghost in the Shell in one place at least.

KingKalamari

• Cephalopod Enthusiast
  • Paid
  • It's Samba time for Tambo & Weep Day for Urine Man
So apparently Nichijou is getting an actual English dub. I legit never thought that was going to happen...

The promo clips they've put up thus far look like it's going to be pretty solid.
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Dr. Buttplug

Dr. Buttplug

• Paid
  • Legendary Jizz-Wailer
Space Dandy is oozing with style and a Douglas Adams-ish sense of humor. Too bad its horribly sexist. I think I'll have to start watching JoJo to get the kind of "Dandy" I was hoping for.

sambair

• Paid
Space Dandy is oozing with style and a Douglas Adams-ish sense of humor. Too bad its horribly sexist. I think I'll have to start watching JoJo to get the kind of "Dandy" I was hoping for.
Dr. Buttplug, June 23, 2019, 05:52:03 pm

I liked Space Dandy for its good parts, but yeah, I wouldn't blame anyone for being put off by a lot of its content. It's still the only TV show I've watched where the protagonists attempt to resolve a sci-fi problem by going on Yahoo Answers (and not even a parody, they specifically say Yahoo Answers).
Dr. Buttplug Hux Salubrious Rex

Mique

• Paid
  • Pronounced like Mike
The Kyoto Animation headquarters was attacked and set on fire yesterday in an act of terrorism. Last I checked, they said 23 were dead including many industry veterans and the director of many of my favorite shows.

KyoAni was one of the few studios known to pay their employees a decent wage, and their animation has always been top notch. Even when their shows weren't my cup of tea, I always respected their work and attention to detail.

I truly think they were some of the most talented animators in the business, and the whole industry is worse off because of this.

Seriously, these people are some of the only ones who have been able to make me both laugh and cry, and this attack feels very personal to me. Why the fuck does shit like this happen?

KingKalamari

• Cephalopod Enthusiast
  • Paid
  • It's Samba time for Tambo & Weep Day for Urine Man
I've been binge-watching the Nichijou dub I mentioned a few months ago and I can confirm it is pretty rad. I'm impressed with how natural the main voice actor's make their conversations sound. I'd say my only criticism thus far is that while the actress who plays Yuuko does a very good job on the character's over-the-top reactions she sometimes takes that a bit too far and makes some of the punchlines hard to discern. Otherwise an excellent dub!

I just wish I could find clips on Youtube of the Invincible Alien bit.

lazzer grardaion?

• Paid
Okay, this is the order in which things went: I saw a news article about Gunpla (Gundam Plastic model kits) being sold out in hobby stores, because people were looking for good time-consuming quarantine activities. I thought that sounded like fun, and it turns out Barnes & Noble carries Gunpla, and the local one was doing curbside pickup.

NSFW content. Click to show.

Since I had a great time building this little purple robot, I figured I should probably take a look into the series that gave rise to it. If a show sells enough model kits that they make *a whole show about the model kits*, there's probably something there.

After some hemming and hawing about where to start in a 40 year series with 18 TV shows, and dozens more OVAs/movies, I decided to start at the very beginning, with the original Mobile Suit Gundam, from 1979.

(Strictly speaking I watched the compilation movies rather than the TV series, which I understand removes some of the sillier/more toyetic aspects of the show. Plus, the show got terrible ratings on its first run, and most Japanese people probably experienced it for the first time seeing the movies anyways, so I feel it's an authentic way of watching it).

ANYWAYS, Gundam is really good!

In the future, a significant fraction of humanity lives in big cylindrical space colonies, and one of these colonies has declared itself the 'Principality of Zeon', and started a war of independence from the Earth Federation. One year into the war, about half of humanity is dead.

There are a lot of little world-building details that add to an uncompromisingly bleak vision of war: most of the military officers are either 16 and under, or 35 and older. Pretty much everybody in the middle is dead already.

There aren't really any cartoony cackling villains, everybody on both sides of the war has distinct and unique motivations for why they're doing what they're doing. The protagonist Amuro Ray isn't particularly heroic, he just happens to be supernaturally good at piloting giant robots.

Here are some fucked up things that happen to Amuro Ray:

Amuro returns to Earth to find his mother living in Zeon-occupied territory. In order to avoid being caught by Zeon soldiers, Amuro shoots a man in cold blood right in front of his mom, who proceeds to disown him.

Amuro's father is MIA after the initial attack on his home colony. When Amuro finally does find his father, he has brain damage from oxygen deprivation after floating in space in his suit for too long. He hands Amuro a bunch of wires and junk all crammed into a box and tells him it's a super-charge module for the Gundam, and that it'll surely win the war for them.

The show is heavy, but it's a good kind of heavy.

Now, lastly, the most important reason you should watch Mobile Suit Gundam is so you can appreciate the English-language FMV game that came out in 1996, a full three years before any Gundam show was released in the US.

It's like seeing Turkish Star Wars, or that Saturday Morning Watchmen parody. Just by watching it you get that it's bad, but to get just how bad it is you have to see the good version of it first.
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Salubrious Rex

Salubrious Rex

• Paid
Okay, this is the order in which things went: I saw a news article about Gunpla (Gundam Plastic model kits) being sold out in hobby stores, because people were looking for good time-consuming quarantine activities. I thought that sounded like fun, and it turns out Barnes & Noble carries Gunpla, and the local one was doing curbside pickup.

After some hemming and hawing about where to start in a 40 year series with 18 TV shows, and dozens more OVAs/movies, I decided to start at the very beginning, with the original Mobile Suit Gundam, from 1979.
ZOMBOZO Evil clown, July 04, 2020, 01:25:18 pm

This is a good post. I have hemmed my last haw and I'm gonna watch some mother fucking Mobile Suit Gundam tonight myself.