Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:06:19 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Where?

above
22 (75.9%)
below
7 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: March 12, 2019, 01:30:30 pm

Topic: POST ACTIONS: Above or below  (Read 9875 times)

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
POST ACTIONS: Above or below
SEE SCREENSHOTS BELOW.

So this is something that I'd been thinking about for a while, but I think it's enough of a UX change that I wanted to run this by you first.

The "post actions" (bulb, quote, edit, etc. ) are all located on top of the post, next to the title. From a hierarchical perspective this is Incorrect UXTM, because you're seeing the actions you can take on a post before seeing the post itself. However, that said, the Status Quo is a thing. SO: the question is, should I change it?

ABOVE

BELOW

I will go with the vote on this one.

* Incorrect UX is a trademark of GoDaddy International. GoDaddy: We do everything wrong but somehow you fuckers keep paying us.

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
POST ACTIONS: Above or below #1
As above, so below

moooo566 (taylor's version)

• Paid
POST ACTIONS: Above or below #2
I reckon move them below.

It'll take a bit of getting used to but it's probably best, it is kind of annoying when you run into one of the (admittedly fairly infrequent) posts that are longer than one screen and then I have to scroll up to find them.

edit: actually having read other people's arguments ive decided im wrong as usual
GirlKisser420
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 03:40:09 pm by boooo566 »

Victor Laszlo

• May my path be lit up by the bridges that I've burned
  • Ridiculist
  • Yay Victor!
POST ACTIONS: Above or below #3
I feel like the buttons being on top mimics the standard experience in browsers and other programs(Word, Excel, Photoshop) where the action buttons are at the top of the screen.  I also like that they're on the same line as the post title, it helps me be certain which post I'm interacting with.

Of course I'm usually in the minority when it comes to opinions on how things should be.

Boots Raingear

• BBQ Man-Pop
  • Administrator
  • CEO of Victor's basement
POST ACTIONS: Above or below #4
I think I like the post actions below but I really don't like the bulb icon and count below.

Ambious

POST ACTIONS: Above or below #5
I say let each user chose for themself.
You cracked night mode, you can do this.

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
POST ACTIONS: Above or below #6
Ambious, March 05, 2019, 02:25:09 pm

That's a hard no.  "Make it a setting" is too easy a method to avoid making design decisions, and creates exponential design problems with everything you do. You know how people never say anything nice about Linux application design? It's definitely customizable though!

Ambious

POST ACTIONS: Above or below #7
Ambious, March 05, 2019, 02:25:09 pm

That's a hard no.  "Make it a setting" is too easy a method to avoid making design decisions, and creates exponential design problems with everything you do. You know how people never say anything nice about Linux application design? It's definitely customizable though!
Lemon, March 05, 2019, 02:53:00 pm

Fair enough. I guess that's what chrome extensions are for.
If you do end putting it on the bottom though, maybe make it above the "bulbed by" row? Make it look less fragmented.

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
POST ACTIONS: Above or below #8
I like them on the top, it's different from almost every other forum and I like that.

Macho Masc Sangy Savage

• Beep Beep Imma Dwarf Jeep
  • Paid
  • 🍕 Pizza Philosopher 🍕
POST ACTIONS: Above or below #9
I like them below, as you react to posts after you read them. Do agree that the bulb counts look better above

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
POST ACTIONS: Above or below #10
I like having the stars above a 6-bulb post so I know that it's good before I read it. At the same time, it would be nice to bulb a good post AFTER I've read it. That's kind of messy maybe? Otherwise I would prefer post actions below posts. Needing to scroll back up happens most frequently with large images ime.
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

cat_examiner

• Paid
  • Neither cat nor examiner
POST ACTIONS: Above or below #11
top to bottom along the right side? [pro-status-quo otherwise]

Mix

• God's Personal Jester
  • Paid
  • ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
POST ACTIONS: Above or below #12
I prefer above, but I can't really give any solid reason why that hasn't already been said.

Turtle

• [F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+]
  • Paid
POST ACTIONS: Above or below #13
I think I like the post actions below but I really don't like the bulb icon and count below.
Boots Raingear, March 05, 2019, 02:09:45 pm
I agree with this. Is there a secret third option where the bulbs stay up top? It's still a UX sin in terms of having to scroll back up from the post to bulb it, but bulbing a post is a lot less common than replying, quoting, etc.

That said, I can't justify why I like the bulbs on top as anything other than "Bulbs live up there, that's where bulbs live, that's their home." It's an appeal to the status quo to be sure, but bulbs are old enough to vote, so that has to count for something.
Sherman Tank

Frank West

• Have you ever astraled and kicked it with satan
  • Ridiculist
  • Marky Mk 2
POST ACTIONS: Above or below #14
We should have two sets of bulbs, one set above that people use to say how good they THINK the post is going to be before they read it, and then one set at the bottom where people say how good they thought the post was after they've read it. Here's the mock up:

chai tea latte Lemon Macho Masc Sangy Savage Boots Raingear Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Dr. Buttplug Shell Game SHAMBA~1.SBB Mix EYE OF ZA Sherman Tank