Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:50:53 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Anyone expert on decorating/space management?  (Read 4528 times)

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Anyone expert on decorating/space management?
Okay, so I've got a lot of books. I mean a LOT, we're talking thousands here, not hundreds, and I've just been informed my parents are going to need the space so I've got to take them to my own place. Now, I've already recycled everything I can bare to part with, so that's not an option. The problem is, I live with two other girls and I would like to minimize the space I'll be taking with my piles and piles of books. Anyone with any handy tips or recommendations for a bookshelf with maximum storage space? Oh, and don't suggest burning anything, I'll fucking cut you man.

Sincerely,

A Hoarder

Tiny Prancer

• Tiny and angry
  • Paid
  • please be more respectable to physics
Anyone expert on decorating/space management? #1
I used to have a bookshelf with fairly deep shelves and I would put a second layer of books in front of the first, but that only really works if they're small books to begin with.

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
Anyone expert on decorating/space management? #2
This might be stupid advice, but when I last moved we lost a sizeable amount of space, so I cleared out a drawer in my dresser and put a lot of my books in there. depending on how deep the dresser drawers are you can fit up to like a hundred some-odd books in there.

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
Anyone expert on decorating/space management? #3

doubles as a pillow fort
Lemon

NERRRRD

• Verified Shitlord
  • Paid
Anyone expert on decorating/space management? #4
start panhandling for one hour a day around your office building either before or after work. Hopefully you work in a metropolitan area and can earn yourself about 3 dollars in this time. Now take your new 90 dollars to a storage facility, and ask them to give you one of their "sheds."

TacoChillocko

• Wish I was little bit smaller, wish I was an iguana, wish I had a rock with a lamp so I could chill when I wanna
  • Paid
Anyone expert on decorating/space management? #5
I'll need pictures of your room/target book case area in order to help. How far can you go with your storage space? If it's a rental I guess you're pretty limited with putting furniture in, but if someone owns the house then you can get very creative. I'd suggest integrating shelves into everything. Under your bed, over your bed, every step in the staircase should be a shelf. A shelf above every doorway, a single continuous shelf running under the ceiling in every room, etc.

BomberJacket

• The Gilligan's Planet of Second Base
  • Paid
  • O give me a home where the Juffalos roam.
Anyone expert on decorating/space management? #6
Here's my general solution for stuff that has to be stored but doesn't have to be easily used. Buy a bunch of those plastic tubs that come with lids. Organize your books so that you've got them grouped by tub, then label the tubs accordingly. Make sure that most of the tubs have some books pressing up against the lid to carry the weight. Then stack them in a closet, with any partially-filled tubs on top. If your only option is a shed or garage, make sure you get tight sealing containers so moisture can't get in. If your room is the only space you've got to work with, you could stack them against a wall and hide them with a Chinese screen.

Alternatively, you could keep them under your bed, but you run a higher risk of rodents and certain insects munching on them.