Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:52:06 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: I decided to translate the bible literally  (Read 3183 times)

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat
I decided to translate the bible literally
So as a dumb proof-of-concept I decided to translate the first chapter of the Old Testament from Hebrew to English, while changing basically nothing about the phrasing or wording of any of it. Turns out English isn't a language you can do VSO word order in.

anyways, here it is, I'll probably add the second world creation story from the second chapter later

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SWTN4H568zYLUFsOxImCKczODx2fPjS1sGnJsKMhU08/edit?usp=sharing
SHAMBA~1.SBB

Ambious

• Moist
  • Paid
So as a dumb proof-of-concept I decided to translate the first chapter of the Old Testament from Hebrew to English, while changing basically nothing about the phrasing or wording of any of it. Turns out English isn't a language you can do VSO word order in.

anyways, here it is, I'll probably add the second world creation story from the second chapter later

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SWTN4H568zYLUFsOxImCKczODx2fPjS1sGnJsKMhU08/edit?usp=sharing
A Meat, May 18, 2020, 11:58:38 am

You are a brave souls.
Also, isn't תוהו ובוהו "pandemonium", or are you going for transliteration?

Anyway, it might be worth mentioning that punctuation in the Hebrew Bible doesn't actually serve a fully grammatical purpose, but serves as partially a metering tool for 'singers' (it's complicated).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 12:09:38 pm by Ambious »

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat

A Meat, May 18, 2020, 11:58:38 am

You are a brave souls.
Also, isn't תוהו ובוהו "pandemonium", or are you going for transliteration?
Ambious, May 18, 2020, 12:06:23 pm
I read up on it and there's no actual meaning we can point to for what it means, there are Hebrew words taken from it, but the actual meaning of it has been debated for hundreds and hundreds of years
Ambious

Adam Bozarth

• Your friend on the internet
  • Ridiculist
  • [File Photo]
A friend of mine, David Tuchman, undertook a similar project with his podcast "OMGWTFBIBLE." I believe he was on his way to becoming a rabbi himself before he had a shift in his personal beliefs.

I've appeared on it as a guest as well! :)

I think the more literal translations we can get out there, the better. Keep it up!
Ambious