Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:22:47 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: star wars thread  (Read 52457 times)

Knitting Machine

• Paid
  • Buried in Yarn
star wars thread #15
Just came back from it! A lovely movie that I'm totally bringing my niece to as soon as I can. Oh shit, I don't know if she's seen the originals. Might have to do a marathon.

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
star wars thread #16
It was honestly pretty much everything I wanted from a star wars movie, by which I mean rad.

strifeheart

• a mixture of gravity and waggery
  • Paid
star wars thread #17
Anyway, the movie was delightful. Hit almost all of the right notes. Plenty of actual sets and practical, in-camera effects. People actually emoted and displayed feelings through acting, unlike the prequels. Every action scene had stakes and plot advancement behind it, unlike the prequels. The pacing at the start seemed a bit too fast, but I understand that JJ had a lot of narrative ground to cover and it's infinitely preferable to endless scenes of people slowly walking down hallways and sitting on couches while talking.
Isfahan, December 18, 2015, 08:19:44 pm

My thoughts exactly. My only real complaint was that the Republic/Resistance setup seemed pretty awkward--why are they not just the same thing, the new government set up by the Rebellion? Seemed unnecessary to exactly recast the good guys and bad guys in their OT roles; I think the original EU handled it a lot better. That's a pretty inconsequential/nerdy issue to have, though, and it didn't do anything to prevent me from wholeheartedly enjoying the movie (and really, really wanting more).

EDIT: Apparently it's 30 years after Endor, which I failed to realize applied to my concerns, so maybe it'll just be another thing that'll be explained more in future films. Hooray!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 10:05:40 pm by strifeheart »

Nikaer Drekin

• One-Man Nic Cage Fan Club
  • Paid
  • "My burrito is a big deal"
star wars thread #18
EDIT: Apparently it's 30 years after Endor, which I failed to realize applied to my concerns, so maybe it'll just be another thing that'll be explained more in future films. Hooray!
strifeheart, December 20, 2015, 09:46:02 pm

Yeah, I'm really excited for the next one now- I hope they go into more detail about Snoke and the Knights of Ren.

Knitting Machine

• Paid
  • Buried in Yarn
star wars thread #19
I just realized I'm going to be stuck with my EU obsessed relative on Christmas Eve. Does anyone have any advice on how to survive this encounter?

Ambious

star wars thread #20
I just realized I'm going to be stuck with my EU obsessed relative on Christmas Eve. Does anyone have any advice on how to survive this encounter?
KnitOneKillTwo, December 21, 2015, 12:48:44 pm

Just keep reminding him that the EU is dead and buried and sucked anyway and respond to everything he says with "but is it still official canon?"

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
star wars thread #21
Talk about Chewbacca being crushed by a moon
NutshellGulag

Nikaer Drekin

• One-Man Nic Cage Fan Club
  • Paid
  • "My burrito is a big deal"
star wars thread #22

Just keep reminding him that the EU is dead and buried and sucked anyway and respond to everything he says with "but is it still official canon?"
Ambious, December 21, 2015, 12:50:28 pm

This is 100% the correct strategy. Extra points if you make fun of the Mandalorians, since chances are he idolizes them!

Locclo

• Completely Wrapped in Cling-Film
  • Paid
  • Amakooooooooo!
star wars thread #23
Finally got around to seeing it today, I think it's right up there with the original trilogy. The only things I think I would have liked were seeing more of Rey's background, and more context for the conflict between the Republic and the First Order. Really all that you get is "Republic = good" and "Empire First Order = evil." Other than that, I thought it was pretty great. I liked that there was pretty much equal development for all of the major characters, maybe aside from General Hux and Snoke (though I feel that's sort of the point with the latter). I'm interested to see what's going to happen with the conflict between Kylo Ren and Rey, and I hope it isn't just a rehash of ideas from the original trilogy.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:38:31 am by Locclo »

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
star wars thread #24
Saw it tonight (for free!).

Fun movie. Basically star wars ep 4 again.

Knitting Machine

• Paid
  • Buried in Yarn
star wars thread #25
AgentCoop, December 21, 2015, 01:07:10 pm

He already spent Thanksgiving talking about how Chewie death in that book was the most heroic death he had ever heard of, period.

This guy also doesn't let his five year old kid play with his Star Wars Legos. And yes, he has seen the Lego movie. The moral was lost on him.

STOG

• im baby
  • Ridiculist
  • thiis is bernie bro, to me
star wars thread #26
AgentCoop, December 21, 2015, 01:07:10 pm

He already spent Thanksgiving talking about how Chewie death in that book was the most heroic death he had ever heard of, period.

This guy also doesn't let his five year old kid play with his Star Wars Legos. And yes, he has seen the Lego movie. The moral was lost on him.
KnitOneKillTwo, December 22, 2015, 09:02:56 am

Take all the Lego bricks while he's asleep. Spread them all around the floor of his sleeping area. If you hear a scream and a thump, then the application of Lego is successful.
Sherman Tank Macho Masc Sangy Savage

One Of The Crappy Pokemon That Nobody Likes

• Oh no it's the "The-World-Owes-Me-A-Living Lads"!!
  • Ridiculist
  • RARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARR
star wars thread #27
I love how every time there's a thread about anything, at least a few folks run in to just say "I'M SKINNY GOODBYE!" and nothing more as if that's part of having a discussion.

Anyway, saw it with Toast. Movie was a fun, cornball blast with interesting characters, which is exactly all Star Wars ever needed to be. I'm not even into Star Wars but I had a hell of a lot of fun with it. BB-8 is fucking adorable. CG still didn't look right but was kept to a minimum. The end!

STOG

• im baby
  • Ridiculist
  • thiis is bernie bro, to me
star wars thread #28
I love how every time there's a thread about anything, at least a few folks run in to just say "I'M SKINNY GOODBYE!" and nothing more as if that's part of having a discussion.

Anyway, saw it with Toast. Movie was a fun, cornball blast with interesting characters, which is exactly all Star Wars ever needed to be. I'm not even into Star Wars but I had a hell of a lot of fun with it. BB-8 is fucking adorable. CG still didn't look right but was kept to a minimum. The end!
portaxx, December 23, 2015, 05:39:55 pm

not me, darth vader made me eat a lot of pizzas

Dawnswalker

• Paid
star wars thread #29
I liked it a lot! I think the old-new mix was a little too skewed in favour of the old, but I like to think that was more of a combination of needing to do prequel damage control, and of the director's glee at having been able to do this while the vast majority of the original cast was still alive and healthy enough to run around on movie sets. (Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull really made me worry.)

BB-8 was just the cutest little thing ever. Probably an awful design for a robot to have in real life, but still so cute.