Snakes In The Ball Pit > Yay, I get to talk about me!

Gift Suggestions : A Q&A Thread

(1/3) > >>

Lemon:
Hey ballp.it:

Let's say, hypothetically, you had to buy a gift for a basement dwelling manchild who mostly plays Xbox and... End of list? I guess he probably plays Switch too.

Let's say you were supposed to buy a gift for this hypothetical person, and you didn't want it to be yet another Xbox game or Funko Pop. Maybe you'd ideally like it to be a singing telegram that says "Get A Job" but that's not really a gift.

I guess the criteria would be "something he'd like, but also hopefully I'd want to avoid feeling like I was contributing to his atrophy."

I mean, hypothetically, if that were to be the case for somebody on this thread, that person could use a gift suggestion.

One Of The Crappy Pokemon That Nobody Likes:
So I've been in this situation a couple of times and I know this is kind of my default answer, BUT ANYWAY!!!: possibly something to encourage his creativity? I've given stuff like that to people who I know would use and appreciate it right away, but I've also tried this on folks like the person you're describing and I've... occasionally, anyway... seen some results. With someone whose main drive is "consume media, end of story," I often try to act extra hyped to see what they'll make. So, you know, giving some cheap paints and then saying "please just show me the finished picture! I'd love to see what you come up with! :DDDDD", or a journal and say "I'm eager to see the first draft of that novel you always wanted to write! ^_^", things like that. Sometimes this works and they'll actually try to express themselves through a story or a picture, other times it just has more and more dust on it every time I see it. I admit I'm biased because I'm just really interested in seeing what people can come up with out of their own heads, so maybe I'm being too generous here and this guy will in no way make the attempt. But just throwing it out there!

Alternate kind-of-jokey-but-maybe-not answer: um....... a fedora??

organburner:
In sort of a similar but not quite the same situation (it's complicated) I just ordered some rip-off lego from China of whatever intellectual property they liked.
The problem as I see it is someone like that probably won't be motivated to make changes from "just a gift". Unless you know the manchild wants to make a change, it gets complicated.
But if they have said they want to do X, Y or Z, something that wouldn't contribute to their atrophy, you can probably give a gift that would in theory help with that.

So my thought behind the "legally we can't say we're lego but we are "compatible with leading brands"" kits is that at least they'll probably take the time to build it? Which is something. It's not much but it is something.

Cheapskate:
Everybody likes and uses coffee mugs. Even my Mormon friends use them for hot chocolate.

Dr. Buttplug:
Nothing says touch grass this holiday season like a ball shaver. Use offer code ButtplugMD to get 10% off at checkout.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version