Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:42:16 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Mikhail Kalashnikov has died.  (Read 12813 times)

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Mikhail Kalashnikov has died.
He's the guy who designed the AK-47 and, perforce, all its subsequent iterations.

The Kalashnikov design has only eight moving parts, and I only need 30 seconds to teach you how to field strip it, after which you will be able to do it in 15 seconds with heavy gloves on in the dead of winter. Throw it in sand, pick it up, shake it out, the rifle will fire. Feed it dirty ammo, it will fire and cycle. Submerge it in water, take it out, the rifle will fire. Don't want to take it out of the water first? That's fine too. Did your lunch somehow get caught up in the receiver? No worries, the AK's cool with that.

Ready-made for the post-Cold-War shift from open-field, marksmanship-based warfare to close-in, urbanized combat, the AK is still the standard for reliability that other rifles are compared to. No other weapon system used during the 20th century killed more people than the AK. None even came close.

The political landscape of the world today would be much, much different if not for Kalashnikov. Whether it was for the better or the worse is for a bunch of pussy fat-bellied civilians to bloviate about, but the fact remains that his life changed the course of history.
Baldr chai tea latte Odd One Of The Crappy Pokemon That Nobody Likes Chai

One Of The Crappy Pokemon That Nobody Likes

• Oh no it's the "The-World-Owes-Me-A-Living Lads"!!
  • Ridiculist
  • RARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARR
Mikhail Kalashnikov has died. #1
<O

Odd

• Paid
Mikhail Kalashnikov has died. #2
Pouring some 7.62x39 on the ground.
Then picking it all up again because I would not like to accidentally stab my foot with cartridges that have been stored next to a Czech latrine for twenty years, can or no can.

Now to hear what the interns at the various news programs have Googled about him.

Yossarian

• Sophisticated Sophistry
  • Paid
  • No one tell Hitler!
Mikhail Kalashnikov has died. #3

Odd

• Paid
Mikhail Kalashnikov has died. #4
From some Military-focused clone of The Onion comes the most fitting news report of his death.

http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/12/mikhail-kalashnikov-dead/
NutshellGulag

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
Mikhail Kalashnikov has died. #5
Seeing as how you are still not appreciative enough of Mr. Kalashnikov, here's a ten-minute video of a guy shooting a Serbian AK-variant pistol until the wooden handguards start burning from the inside out and then cooling it off by throwing it into water.

Not enough fire or redneck for you? Have it your way, crybaby.

STOG

• im baby
  • Ridiculist
  • thiis is bernie bro, to me
Mikhail Kalashnikov has died. #6
When I get tired of all the cool easily-breakable handmade guns in the post-apocalypse, I'll be glad the AK will still be around.

(Just kidding, I'll be dead two seconds into said apocalypse)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:10:11 am by STOG »

Cyberventurer

• Smoke-Free
  • Paid
Mikhail Kalashnikov has died. #7
Really, all I can think about when I see the pictures is "hey that's the Goldeneye gun".

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
Mikhail Kalashnikov has died. #9
A Whirring Bone-White Gleech

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
Mikhail Kalashnikov has died. #10
I could see how being on a deathbed would tend to make one reflective, yes. I think, if you're concerned not about having been a failure but about having been too much of a success, you did pretty well for yourself.

Odd

• Paid
Mikhail Kalashnikov has died. #11
It is a bit silly for him to feel guilty. Even if he hadn't designed the AK there would just have been something else equivalent to fill the niche of a cheap and reliable mass manufactured weapon for the soviets and their allies. Without the AK47 maybe we would have seen the rise of the SKS47 or something entirely new.
He was the right man at the right time but he was hardly the only weapons designer eager to fill the technological gap between the URSS and its enemies.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
Mikhail Kalashnikov has died. #12
I just noticed because I'm looking at a monitor now and not a phone screen, but the AKs in that gun-salute picture Yossarian linked? They're genuine old-school milled-receiver AK-47s, not the more common stamped-receiver AKMs.

Odd

• Paid
Mikhail Kalashnikov has died. #13
Good eye. Honor guards are funny in that way that they sometimes stick to early generation equipment. Some ex-soviet honor guards even stuck with the sks: http://m1-garand-rifle.com/garands-on-parade/sks.php

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:06:06 pm by Odd »

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
Mikhail Kalashnikov has died. #14