Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:18:30 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: the australia zone  (Read 64654 times)

Blandest

• Paid
  • Help! Cannot see! Can only smell!
the australia zone #15
I like Australia until I start hearing how much we overuse swear words. And how much of a big deal sports are, because I'm left so far in the goddamn lurch when conversation turns to them.

I was doorknocking with the Greens in St Kilda the day after the Bulldogs won the grand final. That was... a very hungover day, and it took me a while to find out why.
Cleretic, January 31, 2017, 01:09:01 am

Don't you get the grand final off though? Or is that just the AFL? Either way I don't like sports but I'd be fine with sports related public holidays. I think the overuse of swearwords should be taken in context. I mean I swear a bit but I wouldn't say I overuse swearwords, it's just that the meaning of the words is pretty diluted/changed so they aren't dropped as infrequently as in other countries where that isn't as much of a thing and really do we want to hold our wy of speaking up to the standards of other countries? I feel like the most important thing about those words is how they are said and how they are intended to be taken. I'd very rarely tell someone I didn't like/know to fuck off but I'd say that all the time to actual friends and I think the difference is usually pretty clear.

cashmir sweaters

• Paid
the australia zone #16
oh boy a thread just for me

now i can complain about how absurdly warm it is and americans won't go "hmmm boy i sure wish i was there" like no you fucking don't. this is hell with spiders.

brb moving to iceland
krytton, January 30, 2017, 09:28:12 pm

I was there a n 2001 and I want to go back. I like spiders 🕷

Cleretic

• Russian Roulette Silver Medalist
  • Paid
the australia zone #17
I like Australia until I start hearing how much we overuse swear words. And how much of a big deal sports are, because I'm left so far in the goddamn lurch when conversation turns to them.

I was doorknocking with the Greens in St Kilda the day after the Bulldogs won the grand final. That was... a very hungover day, and it took me a while to find out why.
Cleretic, January 31, 2017, 01:09:01 am

Don't you get the grand final off though? Or is that just the AFL? Either way I don't like sports but I'd be fine with sports related public holidays. I think the overuse of swearwords should be taken in context. I mean I swear a bit but I wouldn't say I overuse swearwords, it's just that the meaning of the words is pretty diluted/changed so they aren't dropped as infrequently as in other countries where that isn't as much of a thing and really do we want to hold our wy of speaking up to the standards of other countries? I feel like the most important thing about those words is how they are said and how they are intended to be taken. I'd very rarely tell someone I didn't like/know to fuck off but I'd say that all the time to actual friends and I think the difference is usually pretty clear.
Blandest, January 31, 2017, 01:17:56 am
Yes, we did get the grand final off (at least, Victoria did; it's where Victoria elected to stick one of its public holidays since the federal government basically just goes 'you've got ten public holidays, stick 'em where you want' to all states), but I didn't watch it and wasn't keeping track of who was even in it. I stopped paying attention after I bombed in the office's footy tipping (which was mostly done by asking my sister for help). I spent the day itself playing video games, didn't check the news, and the next day found out it was apparently a big deal.

And on the wearing, in general it doesn't bother me because yeah, we generally aren't THAT bad. But we're a lot more liberal with them than other countries for some reason, and I really hate that some people go nuts with that and struggle to string together a sentence without swearing several times in it. Also I don't like that the C word slides into that sort of speech WAY more than it seems to in other countries.

GirlKisser420

• Its time for limpboys to have their day in the sun
  • Paid
  • Just a Baby Drinkin Coffee
the australia zone #18
Australia as a country is a lot closer to a working class culture, except without the class consciousness or political structures that would be a really nice pairing. Lots of swearing, bit of anti-intellectualism, disrespect to authority (as long as it's through the right channels) and flannel shirts.

GirlKisser420

• Paid
the australia zone #19
If anyone's in melbourne swing by Flinders street to help the protest against evicting the homeless people from around the station, shit's pretty gross.

Blandest

• Paid
the australia zone #20
I don't really understand what the protests are about. They need to do maintenance work on the station and they can't do that with people living underneath the scaffolding. SBS is saying that they are going to be providing services and accommodation for twenty of the remaining homeless people for two years and the protest seems to be less about the general idea that we shouldn't condemn homeless people, and more about the specific situation.

Eider Duck

• Eats nothing but mussels
  • Paid
  • And has weird corkscrew genitals
the australia zone #21
Has the country had their annual "everything is on fire because the summer is so fucking hot" event yet?

Blandest

• Paid
the australia zone #22
Has the country had their annual "everything is on fire because the summer is so fucking hot" event yet?
Eider Duck, February 01, 2017, 09:05:30 am

I think the central coast of NSW had one recently caused by a bird flying into a power line and then catching on fire thus plummeting to earth as a ball of burning bird.

GirlKisser420

• Paid
the australia zone #23
crikey it's bloody hot outside

GirlKisser420

• Paid
the australia zone #24
better have a golden gaytime to cool off mate, it's an ice cream schnitzel

GirlKisser420

• Paid
the australia zone #25

phwoar it's pretty hot today mates, make sure you have a golden gaytime to cool off

Yavuz

• Fave: Heavily Excessive Prekumquatxop
  • Paid
  • whats up you cem loving fuck
the australia zone #26

phwoar it's pretty hot today mates, make sure you have a golden gaytime to cool off
GirlKisser420, February 09, 2017, 10:45:37 pm

Australia looks nice tie-dyed.

GirlKisser420

• Paid
the australia zone #27
it does but we're all going to die

krytton

• CRINGE BUT FREE
  • Paid
  • WORLD IS A FUCK
the australia zone #28
i am on fire

send help

Sseth672

• Paid
the australia zone #29
My friend told me about the blackouts recently in south straya - on the other hand I had no idea they manage to normally keep the grid up on nothing but wind and solar, which is pretty damn impressive.