Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:01:03 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: If we're really quiet, maybe they won't notice that we're talking about ANIME  (Read 164996 times)

lazzer grardaion?

• Paid

It's been a long fucking quarantine.

Anyways, I wanted to talk about Reideen for a sec.  For a little context, it is a very loose reimagining of the super robot show 'Brave Reideen' from 1975, which was Yoshiyuki Tomino (the Gundam Guy)'s first anime directing job.

The remake, from 2007, is about highschool boy Junki Saiga, whose archaeologist father disappeared mysteriously. The discovery of his father's remains leads Junki to a mystical bracelet, and soon enough he finds himself piloting a giant golden robot and fighting aliens.

From this description, it does sound very generic, but watch the intro:

You don't see a lot of giant robot, right? You mostly see this girl, Akira Midorino, who doesn't really show up until a few episodes in. Her house got destroyed in a monster attack, she changes school districts, and a romance unfolds between her and Junki.

I was sufficiently confused by the intro that when I first started the show, I did double-check the DVD case.

So, Reideen is a mystical robot, and there are temples and things that house components of it, and it turns out Midorino is the last component of Reideen, she is its consciousness. The girl is Reideen. They were telling us the whole time!

Also I like that the twist means it's basically a slice of life romance where the girl is also a giant robot.

It's a show in which all the characters are likeable, the plot moves along briskly, there's one episode where they completely change genre.

Also at the end Reideen uses a sword the length of the moon to kill a monster the size of the moon, and that's always fun.

In short, I do definitely recommend for quarantine viewing.

I did also look into the other reboot of Reideen, from 1996, and Let Me Tell You, it is the most "1996 anime"-anime ever, and it's all on youtube.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 05:59:26 pm by lazzer grardaion? »

Salubrious Rex

• Paid
I watched the second season of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex for the first time after only recently learning that there was a second season. It was okay, I enjoyed it but it really has nothing on the first season. Its visuals are a bit better and the score is great but everything else really doesn't live up to it.

Almost every episode fed into the main plot somehow, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing but it did make it a bit difficult to follow, especially when I didn't find it that compelling to begin with. I think where it is hurt the most is that rather than having episodes that explore problems arising out of sci-fi concepts in the world it focuses way more on world building and history of the setting which is kind of dull and means there are regular massive exposition dumps about stuff that  it's really hard to care about.

There were a handful of episodes that stood out in quality, including one which was basically just a 20 minute remake of the film Taxi Driver and it was decent overall but i probably won't watch it again next time I feel like a rewatch of SAC.

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat
Watched season 1 of the Priconne anime, it's a bunch of fun

Dr. Buttplug

• Formerly Jackal Flapnasty
  • Paid
  • Legendary Jizz-Wailer
Finished the Berserk (1997) series and even knowing it was unfinished and more dire than the manga I still felt crushed. Bit of a slow burn, but showing a bit of the Black Swordsman arc in the first episode was a genius choice that pulled me through some of the more boring early eps. The fact the Black Swordsman and other later arcs haven't been animated is a real shame. I guess I'll have to read that bit of the manga at some point. The English dub is all up for free on Youtube for those who are interested.

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat
Ascendance of a Bookworm and That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime are both very good, and basically the only isekais I've watched that are redeemable.

Ascendance of a Bookworm is about a young woman who dies by book avalanche being reincarnated into the body of a young girl in a world where books are very scarce, she makes it her goal in her new life to make books widespread in this medieval fantasy world even if it completely upends the entire social order.

Reincarnated as a Slime is just the story of a middle aged guy who gets stabbed to death and is reincarnated as a slime in a cliche MMO-style fantasy world, so he obviously does what any reasonable person would do and it's to befriend a dragon and create a communist monster utopia where all races are equal using his slime powers.

Salubrious Rex

• Paid
Saw a clip from serial experiments lain on twitter and decided I'd check it out and watch an episode ir two before bed, ended up watching half of the series in one go. I don't have much of an idea what's going on but I love it and my face hurt from grinning with my eyes glued open at this tense arthouse bullshit for 2 hours straight.

Salubrious Rex

• Paid
Saw a clip from serial experiments lain on twitter and decided I'd check it out and watch an episode ir two before bed, ended up watching half of the series in one go. I don't have much of an idea what's going on but I love it and my face hurt from grinning with my eyes glued open at this tense arthouse bullshit for 2 hours straight.
Salubrious Rex, September 29, 2022, 10:25:30 pm

serial experiments lain was great holy shit
chai tea latte xX_sp00ks_Xx

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Salubrious Rex, September 29, 2022, 10:25:30 pm
that's right
serial experiments lain was great holy shit
Salubrious Rex, September 30, 2022, 07:46:00 am
Salubrious Rex xdaringdamselx