Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:22:12 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: This Thread is Sketchy as Fuck - Post Your Sketches  (Read 58632 times)

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.

I watch Bob Ross most nights before bed just to unwind. It's making me want to make stuff again.
Gyro Bodark xX_sp00ks_Xx Liatai Ragnarok Boobies Corn Syrup

Ragnarok Boobies

• 3viltiki's Spirit Animal
  • Paid
  • "Please insert proof of insurance into slot 'A'."
Jim Wuff the werewolf lawyer
Bodark Saoirse-Lilith Gyro Liatai Goose Goose Honk At Me Now Cirr Positronic Breakfast Sherman Tank Shell Game RoeCocoa

xX_sp00ks_Xx

• Every corpse on Mount Everest
  • Paid
  • was once an extremely motivated person.
Liatai A Meat Goose Goose Honk At Me Now Ragnarok Boobies Bodark Gyro I Liked That Joke Amelia Blank

Liatai

• Made of tea, science, art, and dragons.
  • Paid
  • Warning: uses far too many smileys.
Ragnarok Boobies Gyro Goose Goose Honk At Me Now Really_Quite_Nice I Liked That Joke

xX_sp00ks_Xx

• Paid

Don't know what to do with this, you may have it.
Ragnarok Boobies

Gyro

• touched fuzzy, got dizzy
  • Paid
I feel like I haven't made any art progress in 2 years, and I'm super bummed out about it. Of course, I don't get nearly enough practice, but what practice I do get seems to be doing absolutely nothing.

How do I suck at art less? How do I improve at art better?

Maybe I should just try to get a shitload of practice? But I doubt I'd have the self-discipline to stick to that for long.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 10:42:33 am by Gyro »

Ragnarok Boobies

• 3viltiki's Spirit Animal
  • Paid
  • "Please insert proof of insurance into slot 'A'."
I feel like I haven't made any art progress in 2 years, and I'm super bummed out about it. Of course, I don't get nearly enough practice, but what practice I do get seems to be doing absolutely nothing.

Maybe I should just try to get a shitload of practice? But I doubt I'd have the self-discipline to stick to that for long.
Gyro, October 23, 2016, 10:38:08 am
Doodle, draw, or sketch every day. Even if it's just a goofy smiley face or a page in a pocket moleskine sketchpad. I have thousands of little pieces of scratch paper with silly doodles on them all over my apartment. Keeping in practice like this will help you slowly improve steadily even if you don't realize it. Take a break from worrying about "big" art projects and just have fun with little day-to-day ones. You'll notice a marked improvement when you come back to your more dedicated/important projects.

Another thing to get into is a PaintChat website (if you use a drawing tablet) like Mangamasters or Niko's Pchat. There are a lot of really great and friendly artists that can give really really useful and practical advice on how to improve your craft.
Gyro Macho Masc Sangy Savage

Macho Masc Sangy Savage

• Beep Beep Imma Dwarf Jeep
  • Paid
  • 🍕 Pizza Philosopher 🍕

If you want to draw people, but like me are terrified to be in public with other artists, this website is amazing! - http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
Gyro

Macho Masc Sangy Savage

• Beep Beep Imma Dwarf Jeep
  • Paid
  • 🍕 Pizza Philosopher 🍕
'Allo, I'm back to dump some of this garbage off to you fine folks:

My first and last Inktober drawing for this year

Drawing of Paula Scher before my flight. She was a cool person I got to meet, and I tried drawing her face by the quote, but it ended up looking terrible, so it's full size on this page. It's only now that I realize creating a drawing of someone you met might be a little strange. Plus I just couldn't seem to get her age quite right. Only one or two extra lines just ages the hell out of people

Was watching/listening to a really chill necromancer run of Diablo II. I always have a hard time flying, and these vids helped me get through.

Started Deckard Cain, but was running out of light. Also, bonus napkin drawing.
Liatai xX_sp00ks_Xx Ragnarok Boobies Gyro I Liked That Joke

xX_sp00ks_Xx

• Paid

Pff, try, like, 4 years. I don't know what kind of advice a habitual procrastinator like me could give but from where I've went wrong, perhaps make drawing a habit rather than a chore. If you force yourself to draw you're just going to have a bad time with it and associate it with failure more and more each time. In such cases it's important to know it's not drawing's fault, it's your approach to it. Clear your head and take a deep breath, and focus on the process rather than the end result.

Tonight, some anime still studies from the Devil May Cry anime.

And a bonus Guy Fieri thanks to Ambious.
Gyro Liatai A Meat Really_Quite_Nice

Gyro

• touched fuzzy, got dizzy
  • Paid
A seasonally-appropriate still life:
Liatai xX_sp00ks_Xx
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 01:17:10 pm by Gyro »

mapofthecat

• Paid
A seasonally-appropriate still life:

Gyro, November 05, 2016, 01:15:39 pm

You were talking about not knowing how to progress, shading is a good place to start.
You're drawing from life, which is awesome, and you can clearly see the importance of using tone to define shadow, you're just not pushing that tone far enough, or letting it carry enough of the information in your drawings.
Look at this pumpkin. You've drawn it well, but it's held back, because you're only using the line art to define the shape, then timidly scribbling in the shadows without committing to them.
Have a look at the sort of stuff that comes up when you google 'pencil gradient', try out some of those gradients yourself on the paper you like to use, and then try some drawings where you try to capture the shadows of your reference, and let the darkest parts of the picture be a lot darker than that pale gray you have going at the moment.
From the pictures of yours I can see on this page, I think it'll help you move forwards a step.
Corn Syrup Gyro

Amelia Blank

• Giant Woman
  • Paid
  • Secretly seven cats in a human-shaped bag
Gyro

xX_sp00ks_Xx

• Paid
Gyro

Amelia Blank

• Giant Woman
  • Paid
  • Secretly seven cats in a human-shaped bag
I drew the ghost of Christmas Present. <3
xX_sp00ks_Xx Liatai