Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:26:06 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: 356: Dragons On Usenet  (Read 6271 times)

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
356: Dragons On Usenet
Shell Game chai tea latte A Meat RoeCocoa xX_sp00ks_Xx Immoral Filth Cradicus Secret Gaygent 69 Dr. Buttplug Salubrious Rex Antivehicular Boots Raingear

Shell Game

• Fearless: The Fiscal Year of Shadow
  • Paid
  • Rex Morgan knows about Pretty Cure. Look it up.
356: Dragons On Usenet #1
Seeing this pop up made my day and it's still morning.

oh! here's this also https://web.archive.org/web/20070808222339/http://www.dragoncode.org/ you may have to fiddle with dates if you click the links inside, but this is a place to find dragon code info

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18y7vU_gFOmFnPk27VD-sLe0s-1tWORNyZLfzGQNnnLs/edit?usp=sharing

here's a doc i made awhile ago for an old recording that's MOST of the info on the website
RoeCocoa adrenochrome dome jim and the mammograms Frank West Salubrious Rex
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 01:04:03 pm by Shell Game »

Ambious

• Moist
  • Paid
356: Dragons On Usenet #2
HTTP was a mistake
adrenochrome dome oscaruglyface

Captain Fargle

• Paid
356: Dragons On Usenet #3
If I remember correctly that Dragon Code stuff came up in an Extra Credit episode and at least part of it is about having shorthand code for letting people know if your dragon fursona is bigger than the Sun or not.
Shell Game Penultimatum RoeCocoa

jim and the mammograms

• Paid
  • ah fuck my pun doesn't work now that i'm he/they
356: Dragons On Usenet #4

scathing podcast reviews on the dragon code site
chai tea latte xX_sp00ks_Xx Dread! The Atom that Rots Immoral Filth 1234GO! Shell Game Mix A Meat Frank West cube abuser Penultimatum Lemon Secret Gaygent 69 Dr. Buttplug KingKalamari Salubrious Rex

Shell Game

• Fearless: The Fiscal Year of Shadow
  • Paid
  • Rex Morgan knows about Pretty Cure. Look it up.
356: Dragons On Usenet #5
If I remember correctly that Dragon Code stuff came up in an Extra Credit episode and at least part of it is about having shorthand code for letting people know if your dragon fursona is bigger than the Sun or not.
Captain Fargle, June 19, 2021, 04:04:48 pm
That was the white elephant doc exchange we did a couple holiday seasons ago.

Tipsy Almond

• Paid
  • Must've blown a fuse, nothin' going on
356: Dragons On Usenet #6
Captain Fargle, June 19, 2021, 04:04:48 pm

For a moment, I thought you were talking about the YouTube channel Extra Credits and I was both not surprised and exceedingly concerned.
Captain Fargle

Wolley74

• Paid
  • Is not a paths duck
356: Dragons On Usenet #7
So for some reason Spotify is playing the Dr feeder episode instead of the new one no clue why but might wanna check it out

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
356: Dragons On Usenet #8
So for some reason Spotify is playing the Dr feeder episode instead of the new one no clue why but might wanna check it out
Wolley74, June 20, 2021, 08:05:27 pm
yeah, so I typed something when I originally posted Doctor Feeder. If you delete the file and start over you should be all good.
Wolley74

Wolley74

• Paid
  • Is not a paths duck
356: Dragons On Usenet #9
yeah, so I typed something when I originally posted Doctor Feeder. If you delete the file and start over you should be all good.
Lemon, June 20, 2021, 09:20:35 pm

Tried rebooting app / clearing cache still happening. It's playing thru Google podcasts and plex but not Spotify yet

adrenochrome dome

• YIMBY
  • Paid
356: Dragons On Usenet #10
Podcast Addict has the correct episode, but with the Dr. Feeder chapters (after re-downloading).

hardrocococafe

• Paid
356: Dragons On Usenet #11
I don’t know if this is specialized millennial knowledge, but Weezie from Dragon Tales is one head on a two-headed dragon and the other head on the two-headed dragon is her brother. Hope this helps
adrenochrome dome jim and the mammograms Penultimatum Nook

KingKalamari

• Cephalopod Enthusiast
  • Paid
  • It's Samba time for Tambo & Weep Day for Urine Man
356: Dragons On Usenet #12
Man, there's something almost nostalgic about the particular breed of otherkin featured in this episode.

I think it's something that I didn't really grasp at the time, but revisiting this stuff 15-20 years removed from when it was happening, it's interesting to see just how much of a direct outgrowth of the tabletop rpg community oldschool otherkin invariably were. The actual mechanics and portrayals of dragons in the episode were pretty much ripped directly from the 2nd Edition Monstrous Compendiums and the vague babblings of new age pseudo-spirituality are pretty much identical to the sort of stuff you'd see in White Wolf splat books when Phil "Satyros" Brucato* was in the writer's chair.

The 90s were a hell of a weird time for RPGs.

* - To those not in the know, Phil Brucato was a game developer who legally changed his name to "Satyros" because he's exactly the person you picture when someone says the phrase "neo-pagan weirdo". He still tends to go by Phil Brucato for professional work but always includes the Satyros in some capacity.
chai tea latte Sauce Immoral Filth Dr. Buttplug Salubrious Rex Penultimatum Runic SHAMBA~1.SBB Down10
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 12:50:10 pm by KingKalamari »

Penultimatum

• poster formerly known as dragon friend
  • Paid
  • my dragon element is pun
356: Dragons On Usenet #13
Man, there's something almost nostalgic about the particular breed of otherkin featured in this episode.

I think it's something that I didn't really grasp at the time, but revisiting this stuff 15-20 years removed from when it was happening, it's interesting to see just how much of a direct outgrowth of the tabletop rpg community oldschool otherkin invariably were. The actual mechanics and portrayals of dragons in the episode were pretty much ripped directly from the 2nd Edition Monstrous Compendiums and the vague babblings of new age pseudo-spirituality are pretty much identical to the sort of stuff you'd see in White Wolf splat books when Phil "Satyros" Brucato* was in the writer's chair.

* - To those not in the know, Phil Brucato was a game developer who legally changed his name to "Satyros" because he's exactly the person you picture when someone says the phrase "neo-pagan weirdo". He still tends to go by Phil Brucato for professional work but always includes the Satyros in some capacity.
KingKalamari, June 21, 2021, 12:44:23 pm
Wait, so you’re saying all the moral panic weirdos who thought tabletop RPGs made you lose touch with reality were right?
Sauce chai tea latte jim and the mammograms SHAMBA~1.SBB oscaruglyface Salubrious Rex

Antivehicular

• she/her
  • Paid
  • ridin' high in my supervan
356: Dragons On Usenet #14

KingKalamari, June 21, 2021, 12:44:23 pm

Additionally, Bard Bloom from this doc (and yes, this is his real name, as far as I can tell?) is definitely a TTRPG guy. He and his wife co-wrote a game called World Tree which is about 70% a really interesting, complex original fantasy world and about 30% "oh christ, it's '90's old-school furries," and it definitely has some Dragon Content. (The dragons are very small, but they're definitely immortal jerkass wizards, and there's a whole paragraph about how ~sensual~ they are and it's weird as shit. You can play one if you want!!)
Penultimatum Immoral Filth SHAMBA~1.SBB Down10