Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:38:29 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Movies We've Seen Recently  (Read 207350 times)

count_actuala

• Real VamPire
  • Paid
  • Do you tend to get a high from human blood?
Movies We've Seen Recently #45
I assert that you should all see Pacific Rim because it's a big budget film not based on an existing franchise. Also Idris Elba plays a noble military leader and gives a cool speech.

Also MANSTERS N ROBITS.

Alpha Starsquatch

• bigfoot conservationist
  • Paid
  • back alley veterinarian
Movies We've Seen Recently #46
I just watched Six Souls and was pretty disappointed. The impression I got from the netflix summary was that it was gonna be about some guy whose "personalities" are all those of dead people and in the end it will be revealed that the guy actually murdered all of those people and took on their identities because he's a manipulative psycho. Unfortunately there was Christianity and mumbo jumbo instead. And it had such a strong start. :/

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
Movies We've Seen Recently #47
Just got back from Pacific Rim. I feel like I just saw a unicorn.

nilvoid

• FUCK COMPOSE FUCK MELODY
  • Paid
  • DEDICATED TO NO ONE THANKS TO NO ONE ART IS OVER
Movies We've Seen Recently #48
So I just saw Pontypool and, uh, wow. It just grabbed me from the start and never let me go throughout, and it still has me wondering what the fuck was going on. That last minute or so was particularly strange.

Delcat

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #49
6 Souls is absolutely redonkulous but I found it surprisingly enjoyable.  Shit happens in it, at least, which is a step up from a saddening number of horror movies.

i didn't like it much. i mean okay yeah thank you horror writers for at least ONCE admitting MPD/DID does not exist and that people who use it as an excuse are just that  - using it as an excuse - but it fell into the fucking christian horror tropes that piss me off.

those being, woman's primary motivation is BABIES BABIES BABIES
the primary point at the end was BELIEVE IN GOD OR ELSE
there was even a point in the movie where it prettymuch said "yeah letting your kids DIE as a result of faith healing is way better than getting them vaccinated because then you'd be UNFAITHFUL TO GODDDDDDDDDDD"

i dunno i mean i guess the story itself had potential but it just tried to jam a bunch of bullshit in there intended to convert people and shot itself in the foot.
icarus, July 16, 2013, 08:57:26 am

See, I thought it was saying all of those elements were BAD things.  Especially the vaccination part, which read to me as a faith healer leading people to believe that despite not believing it himself and getting his own kids vaccinated because he was a shitlord, effectively killing all the "faithful" children and leading to the whole mess.  The ending was more HOORAY EVERYONE'S SCREWED than anything else, and I liked that there was no magic God bullet that set things right.

So I guess I liked it for the exact reasons you didn't like it, which is really neat to me.  Also for all the dirt-vomiting, that was pretty cool.

We just saw Pacific Rim and yes.
All the yes.
Good.
Yes.

Nilvoid, I can explain what was going on in Pontypool via PM if you want, but if you'd rather keep your own theories that's also cool.  Don't hesitate to ask, honey.

Don't hesitate to ask.  Don't hesitate.  Don't.

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Movies We've Seen Recently #50
Finally saw Pontypool based on folks here's suggestions. I really enjoyed it, though I thought the scientist character was confusing and not entirely necessary. With that minor issue, though, I liked it a lot. Definitely not the standard zombie movie; I was reminded a bunch of the original War Of The Worlds broadcast (perhaps because I listened to it only a few weeks ago?) in that the knowledge we had access to was really limited. Plus, they used their budget incredibly well and were CANCON, both of which I can really appreciate.

I have my questions and thoughts on the bit directly after the credits (not the voiceover during them, that was wonderful) and maybe I'm PM you, Del, but I think I'm going to sit on it for a bit first.

icarus

• orko in training
  • Paid
  • a very special episode
Movies We've Seen Recently #51
i saw the conjuring cause i figure it's gonna tank and then i'll have to wait til october for another horror movie

it was...well, it wasn't as bad as i was expecting. as far as supernatural movies go, it started strong and kinda maintained a good genericly creepy tension strength.

then it went all demons posessing moms to kill babies and satan and babies babies babies which kinda is a super played out place to take your horror movie, but the ending was at least...resolving? i know that doesn't sound like high praise but this is the horror genre we're talking about.

it did a decent job of establishing concepts it was going to revisit early on and then when it did revisit them it was with subtlty so you didn't feel like the director and script writer were talking down to you.

i dunno. scary, no, but what is. atmospheric, oh yeah for sure.

also it's set in the 70s and props to the entire film crew for that - the costumes, props and just general feel of it is period accurate. which puts it like, a whole head and shoulders above Paranormal Activity 3 which was set in the 80s but apart from VHS and a 80s'd out babysitter you'd never know it.

also remember that blind psychic lady from that x-files episode? she was in it. cast was generally pretty strong.

i dunno if you are into/feeling the itch for popcorn supernatural horror and able to catch a cheap showing it's probably worth about a 5$ entry fee.

there is no conjuring in the conjuring.

Delcat

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #52
The shitty thing about The Conjuring is it's a love letter to these swindling bastards.  Also that it goes on for-fucking-ever.  It's pretty hilarious, though, there are bits you could genuinely fit Yakety Sax to.

Because I've been asked a few times and it doesn't actually spoil anything, re: Pontypool very last scene that makes zero sense: People have theorized all over the place, but it's really, really likely that the director was just fucking around because he knew people would theorize all over the place.  I appreciate this in a director.

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
Movies We've Seen Recently #53
I just saw Pacific Rim and yes, Guillermo del Toro know exactly what I like. And what I like is giant robots punching giant monsters in the face and the giant robot has a rocket on its elbow so that it can punch the monster even harder and this is really all I have ever wanted out of a movie, more or less.

Psammetichus

• ᕕ(⊙ω⊙)ᕗ
  • Paid
  • O damn'd Sonic! O inhuman hog!
Movies We've Seen Recently #54
The shitty thing about The Conjuring is it's a love letter to these swindling bastards.Delcat, August 04, 2013, 09:54:43 pm

I was going to see The Conjuring until I saw it was about the goddamn Warrens. So instead I saw 2 Guns.

It was an otherwise unremarkable, standard action movie, except for the scene where Papi Greco, a Mexican drug lord played by Edward James Olmos, PEES ON HIS LANDS AND CLAIMS HIS GRANDFATHER DID IT FOR FIFTY YEARS WHILE WORKING IN THE SUGAR CANE FIELDS AND NEVER GOT A BLISTER!

Someone should update the Movie Pee Index.
Lemon

Delcat

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #55
The shitty thing about The Conjuring is it's a love letter to these swindling bastards.Delcat, August 04, 2013, 09:54:43 pm

I was going to see The Conjuring until I saw it was about the goddamn Warrens.Psammetichus, August 05, 2013, 12:20:01 am

If it helps, they're not making any money off of sales, on account of Ed being dead of the olds and Lorraine only wanting a one-time stipend for using their names/image.  It's definitely worth a Netflix once it comes out, not least because then you can cut ahead whenever you want.

It was an otherwise unremarkable, standard action movie, except for the scene where Papi Greco, a Mexican drug lord played by Edward James Olmos, PEES ON HIS LANDS AND CLAIMS HIS GRANDFATHER DID IT FOR FIFTY YEARS WHILE WORKING IN THE SUGAR CANE FIELDS AND NEVER GOT A BLISTER!

Someone should update the Movie Pee Index.
Psammetichus, August 05, 2013, 12:20:01 am

what

I can't tell if I'm missing a PoE exhibit or SA Awful Link of the Day

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Movies We've Seen Recently #56
PEES ON HIS LANDSPsammetichus, August 05, 2013, 12:20:01 am

Does that then grow non-blistering sugar cane?
chai tea latte

Psammetichus

• ᕕ(⊙ω⊙)ᕗ
  • Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #57
I meant to say HANDS, but I imagine peeing on your LANDS would not hurt property value.

icarus

• orko in training
  • Paid
  • a very special episode
Movies We've Seen Recently #58
netflix put up a documentary called 'the dahmer files' which i didn't have high hopes for because of the track record for serial killer stuff on netflix. i actually didn't realize it was a documentary at first and thought it was going to be just another horrible netflix movie, but it was actually pretty good. there was no narrator and no bullshit re-enactment of crimes. all the re-enactment was just like a dahmer look-alike walking around town acting vaguely off. doing shit like buying a goldfish and trashcan, walking along the river. crap like that. there was no attempt to make you "feel for the character" of a serial killer.

mostly it was interviews with three people. a forensic scientist who was on the team in his apartment, one of the cops who booked him (the one who got the confession, actually) and a woman who lived just down the hall from him in the apartment building. it DID do a good job of making you feel for them, just by the stories they told. the neighbor especially, i mean damn talk about pstd for the rest of your life.

it was interesting. it actually didn't go into detail on his crimes or anything, which i kinda appreciated cause it just would have been retelling the same info you can get off wikipedia in two minutes if that had been the case.

i dunno if you're into caught serial killer documentary stuff it's pretty good. the albert fish and h.h. holmes ones were good too, but because of the fact that they're such old timey crimeys there's a lot of narration and read-over.

Psammetichus

• ᕕ(⊙ω⊙)ᕗ
  • Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #59
I can't tell if I'm missing a PoE exhibit or SA Awful Link of the Day
Delcat, August 05, 2013, 03:25:28 am

Remember THIS (NSFW!) from the peeing episode?

I don't remember if anything from the Peeing Index was actually read, but I remember every one of the readers' intros was a quote from there.

edit: And czech out the corrections page!

The following corrections were submitted by users. When the list is updated, all relevant information from this page will be merged into the main part of the Pee Movie List.

August 5, 2013 11:41 PM
Film: 2 Guns (2013) Drug lord Papi Greco (played by Edward James Olmos) pees on his hands before beating the two protagonists (played by Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg). He explains his father always peed on his hands before working in the sugar cane fields and never got a blister. The camera films from between Edward James Olmos' legs, and a yellow stream comes down from the top of the shot. You don't see anything, and and the next shot immediately jumps to Edward James Olmos zipping up his pants.Quote from

C'mon Movie Pee Index, add my contribution to the master-list!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 10:45:08 pm by Psammetichus »