Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:03:33 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: damn.dog (the WikiHow Picture Guessing Game)  (Read 36339 times)

Blandest

• Paid
  • Help! Cannot see! Can only smell!
A FEW STATS

Average Game Duration: 5 minutes, 15 seconds.
Bounce Rate: 12%
Correct Answer Average: 63%
Rounds of damn.dog played this month: 1,273,610
Rounds of damn.dog played in the last 3 days: 1,179,411
Percentage of damn.dog players who clicked the "Lemon" link in the footer: 0.08%
Lemon, April 13, 2016, 09:27:43 am
I can't actually see a lemon link on the mobile version of the game. Maybe everyone is playing it on their phones?

Ashto

• Paid
  • I don't even know anymore
Confirmed to be the case on a Samsung Galaxy S5, regardless of which web browser I use on it.

Also, I kinda feel bad about the .08% who do click the link, only to find Lemon's "lift and carry" site bio, devoid of context.

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
34% of visitors are marked as "mobile", which means they wouldn't be seeing the bottom bar. (3% tablet and 62% desktop)

The bottom bar is actually based on your screen real estate. If your window is less than 620 pixels, the bar goes away (you can resize your browser for the same effect). I basically just did that because I wanted as much space as possible for the relevant stuff without adding a hamburger menu. Though thinking of it now, maybe a hamburger menu isn't a bad idea here.

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
There we go, some design tweaks made.

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
Have you considered adding a sort of user submission thing like a caption contest?

Like, when that one image of a building surrounded by an evil purple cloud from the last WikiHow ep of the podcast comes up, I can send in my own guess as to what the article is, which would be "What to do when the McDonald's Grimace farts in your workplace"). And then this and other peoples' much funnier answers would get put in a gallery somewhere.

Boots Raingear

• BBQ Man-Pop
  • Administrator
  • CEO of Victor's basement
...which would be "What to do when the McDonald's Grimace farts in your workplace").
Big Ole Pear Shaped Sherman Tank, April 14, 2016, 01:07:59 pm

It's not WikiWhat.

Sherman Tank

...which would be "What to do when the McDonald's Grimace farts in your workplace").
Big Ole Pear Shaped Sherman Tank, April 14, 2016, 01:07:59 pm

It's not WikiWhat.
Boots Raingear, April 14, 2016, 01:09:25 pm

OK, "How to survive if the McDonald's Grimace farts in your workplace". Better?

Ashto

• Paid
I'm pretty sure the idea is that the titles listed are all real titles. Your job is to find out which one is the correct one, and the humor lies in the fact that they are all pretty fitting. If people were to submit their own titles, it would be a funny game akin to Jack's Party Box, but it wouldn't be true to the original idea.

However, there is a link to github on the site, so I'd suppose you're more than welcome to make a fork of it to tool around with.

Sherman Tank

Well the very earliest version of damn.dog required you to type in your own guess as to what article the picture was from, and then it showed you the real answer. I was just wondering if something like that could be made.

Ashto

• Paid
Ah, sorry, I wasn't aware. I retract my prior comment then. I guess we'll wait and see what Lemon has to say about it. Either way, the idea of making a fork is still available if you're into that sort of thing (cause with the hamburger menu, the option to switch game mode could go there).

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
So, pretty much what Ashto said.

At the moment, I'm happy with the premise. It's easy to understand, and I think it's fun to play.

Originally, I had built the thing with more of a Jackbox style, but gave up on that idea because I'd have to be writing server side code and that is emphatically not my jam.

I do believe you could put together a "best caption" game using something like Firebase (as was my initial intent) but that isn't where my heart is currently. However, you can fork what I have and try out some of your own ideas.
Sherman Tank

Knitting Machine

• Paid
  • Buried in Yarn
How am I getting so many of these wrong

How am I getting so many of these right

Sherman Tank

So, pretty much what Ashto said.

At the moment, I'm happy with the premise. It's easy to understand, and I think it's fun to play.

Originally, I had built the thing with more of a Jackbox style, but gave up on that idea because I'd have to be writing server side code and that is emphatically not my jam.

I do believe you could put together a "best caption" game using something like Firebase (as was my initial intent) but that isn't where my heart is currently. However, you can fork what I have and try out some of your own ideas.
Lemon, April 14, 2016, 07:17:31 pm

This all makes perfect sense, thanks. I only suggested it because I think it might be a cool thing to do, but somehow I doubt anybody else will do it if you don't because it's kind of a niche idea.

Nifty Nif

• Big Dumb Slimy Monster
  • Paid
  • powerful and can be dangreous
Do you want pull requests for new images to save you some time, or should we just send them to you so you can format them properly?

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
PRs would be preferable.