Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:18:51 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: So, Ballpit, what did we learn today?  (Read 43053 times)

1234GO!

• Paid
  • beyond buildings and food
So, Ballpit, what did we learn today? #45
Gave myself a little research project to distract myself from a shitty work week to figure out what is the north-most mesoamerican pyramid (mississippian mounds don't count), I'm pretty sure it's the Zona Arqueoloigca El Sabinito in Tamaulipas.

A Meat Salubrious Rex Lemon

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat
So, Ballpit, what did we learn today? #46
I learned that a posy (a little bouquet of flowers) is also called a nosegay (nose is nose, gay is an obsolete term for a small ornament), which is also called a tussie-mussie
Dr. Buttplug Seth "Slimy" Rollins xdaringdamselx xX_sp00ks_Xx Salubrious Rex Penultimatum chai tea latte

Great Joe

• Local good at video games be-er
  • Paid
  • Myahhh!
So, Ballpit, what did we learn today? #47
I learned that there's big money in the business of 3D printing shoes.

A Meat

• Paid
So, Ballpit, what did we learn today? #48
I learned that in addition to the regular confusing biological axes of superior-inferior, anterior-posterior, rostral-caudal, ventral-dorsal, proximal-distal, oral-aboral, apical-basal, adaxial-abaxial(fuck this one) and medial-lateral, there's also introrse and extrorse, pertaining specifically to facing towards a central axis and away from a central axis (mostly about the directions of dehiscence of anthers in a flower it seems).

edit: peripheral-central is another one
xX_sp00ks_Xx Antivehicular
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 03:26:50 am by A Meat »

ham burger

• super hungay
  • Paid
So, Ballpit, what did we learn today? #49
adaxial-abaxialA Meat, July 07, 2021, 03:19:56 am

well thank god medical communication doesn't require clarity under pressure or this might be a real fucking mess

edit before i even posted: i decided to look these words up to see what they refer to and it seems they mostly pertain to leaves, which i suppose ER doctors don't operate on much, so it's probably not that big a deal. i am leaving my stupid in the box for posterity.
Salubrious Rex

A Meat

• Paid
So, Ballpit, what did we learn today? #50
adaxial-abaxialA Meat, July 07, 2021, 03:19:56 am

well thank god medical communication doesn't require clarity under pressure or this might be a real fucking mess

edit before i even posted: i decided to look these words up to see what they refer to and it seems they mostly pertain to leaves, which i suppose ER doctors don't operate on much, so it's probably not that big a deal. i am leaving my stupid in the box for posterity.
ham burger, July 07, 2021, 09:42:21 am
yeah they're the top and bottom part of a leaf, but it's still absurdly bad even if it's not causing a horrific accident

A Meat

• Paid
So, Ballpit, what did we learn today? #51
I learned that there's a Harold Holt Memorial Swimming Pool, named after Harold Holt, prime minister of Australia who disappeared while swimming in the sea. To be fair, they were already building it when he presumably drowned, and he was from the area, but it's still some prime Australian dark humor
xX_sp00ks_Xx RoeCocoa chai tea latte

Salubrious Rex

• Paid
So, Ballpit, what did we learn today? #52
The oldest known treatise on anatomy is an Egyptian text dating back to 1600 BC and covers topics such as surgery and gynaecology and full records of 48 cases of injury and their treatments.

It's also named the Edwin Smith Papyrus after some dickhead who bought it in the 19th century. Way to ride on the coat-tails of possibly the oldest pioneers in medical science, asshole.

EDIT: Moron didn't even translate the papyrus himself or anything. Fucking come on. He bought it, got someone else to translate it for him and the thing is still named after him. Complete bullshit.
jim and the mammograms A Meat chai tea latte
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 11:43:53 pm by Salubrious Rex »

Dr. Buttplug

• Formerly Jackal Flapnasty
  • Paid
  • Legendary Jizz-Wailer
So, Ballpit, what did we learn today? #53
The oldest known treatise on anatomy is an Egyptian text dating back to 1600 BC and covers topics such as surgery and gynaecology and full records of 48 cases of injury and their treatments.

It's also named the Edwin Smith Papyrus after some dickhead who bought it in the 19th century. Way to ride on the coat-tails of possibly the oldest pioneers in medical science, asshole.

EDIT: Moron didn't even translate the papyrus himself or anything. Fucking come on. He bought it, got someone else to translate it for him and the thing is still named after him. Complete bullshit.
Salubrious Rex, July 11, 2021, 11:39:17 pm

I think this is perfectly reasonable because as the big man said;

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged." Matthew 7:1 Dr. Buttplug's Bible
Salubrious Rex chai tea latte xX_sp00ks_Xx

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
So, Ballpit, what did we learn today? #54
Stephen Harper has a band.
chai tea latte jim and the mammograms

Great Joe

• Paid
  • Myahhh!
So, Ballpit, what did we learn today? #55
The Sega GameGear was made from plans leaked by the LCD manufacturer Citizen, that originally came from Nintendo as a way to weasel out of a contract in order to maintain their good business relationship with Sharp, who'd made all the displays for the various Game & Watches.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 02:20:56 pm by Great Joe »

kthorjensen

• Paid
So, Ballpit, what did we learn today? #56
The Sega GameGear was made from plans leaked by the LCD manufacturer Citizen, that originally came from Nintendo as a way to weasel out of a contract in order to maintain their good business relationship with Sharp, who'd made all the displays for the various Game & Watches.
Great Joe, July 15, 2021, 02:18:01 pm

want to know more about this, is there a link I can read?
A Meat Great Joe

Great Joe

• Paid
  • Myahhh!
So, Ballpit, what did we learn today? #57
Great Joe, July 15, 2021, 02:18:01 pm

want to know more about this, is there a link I can read?
kthorjensen, July 15, 2021, 11:39:50 pm
Sure thing, there's this video:

Which for this particular part cites this book:
History of Nintendo, Vol 4 by Florent Gorges
kthorjensen

RoeCocoa

• Paid
So, Ballpit, what did we learn today? #58
Benthic means of, relating to, or occurring at the bottom of a body of water, sometimes more specifically the bottom of the ocean.
Salubrious Rex Great Joe

A Meat

• Paid
So, Ballpit, what did we learn today? #59
I learned that resorption is a real word and is not the name as reabsorption, and it's the deconstruction of an existent structure (usually bone tissue or volcanic rock) back into the system/area