Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:56:06 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Movies We've Seen Recently  (Read 203328 times)

Delcat

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #15
My sister and I watched The ABCs of Death today.  It's a horror anthology made up of 26 segments by 26 different directors, with no stipulations on content except that each short had to be based on a letter of the alphabet and focus on death.  It was...it was...it...was.

It's on Netflix and firmly worth a watch in Atrocity Tourist mode, but be aware that it's so NWS that I think there's fine print in the credits that you have to put on your resume that you watched it for the rest of your life.

(Q is the best, incidentally.)

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
  • My cat? Let me tell you about my cat...
Movies We've Seen Recently #16
Yeah, that's the one I meant. Brrr. All those wiggly lumpy things squirming around in black blood. Gross, man.

Also today I have watched:

Dead End (2003)
Do you want to see what happens if creepypasta farts on Vampire's Kiss? Then boy howdy is this the movie for you. I honestly couldn't tell if it was meant to be a comedy or not, because it kept swinging back and forth from trying very hard to be horror and just rolling along its (significantly better) track of being a black comedy about a dysfunctional family. Had the most improbable appearance of weed I've seen in a while, but then thanks to my upbringing I tend to feel like it's super rude to bring marijuana to a family function.
Cuddlesquid, June 30, 2013, 05:04:21 pm

Is that the one where Ray Wise is the dad? I liked that one, even though the ending was a foregone conclusion. And Splinter was great! Supposedly they did it all with practical effects, which is just awesome.

squiddy

• #1 Fox in Socks reader
  • Ridiculist
  • Do you choose to chew goo too, sir?
Movies We've Seen Recently #17
I just watched Safety Not Guaranteed and once I got over the whole Aubrey Plaza can only play herself thing I really loved it. Romance, time travel, journalism and moss growing on things- what's not to like?

I also watched Submarine because I heard a bit about it on NPR and it was directed by Richard Ayoade, of IT Crowd fame. It was quirky and amusing but fell a little flat for me. I'd recommend it still I think.

Both are on Netflix.

I just added John Dies at the End to my queue. Anyone seen that? I read maybe a third of the book until I got weary of bizarre violence. So I don't have high expectations.

Also, my recent viewing has unlocked the Netflix category "Critically-acclaimed quirky movies" so I'm looking forward to exploring that. Summertime, July especially, is such a desert for TV that I am interested in any Netflix suggestion.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:58:29 pm by squiddy »

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
Movies We've Seen Recently #18
John Dies At The End is pretty good! I haven't read the book, but I really enjoyed the movie. Plus it turned me on to Don Coscarelli, who's a great director. Bubba Ho-Tep, which he also directed, is amazing.

The other day I watched V/H/S 2 and Maniac, both of which start out promising and then kind of circle the drain. V/H/S 2 is a horror anthology (and despite being a sequel you don't really need to have seen the first one) of found-footage-type stuff. One of the shorts, about a guy who goes on a bike ride and accidentally runs into zombies, is a lot of fun; one of them, about a doomsday cult (this keeps turning up in my viewing and I don't know why) being investigated by a bunch of journalists, starts out very strong and descends into utter stupidity; one of them is about a guy with a camera eye and is just plain stupid, and the last one in the bunch is called "Slumber Party Alien Abduction", which should tell you all you need to know about how shit it is.

Maniac has Elijah Wood being a crazy person, which he does surprisingly well, but I found myself getting bored halfway through. He's great in it, but the movie itself didn't really have anything I found particularly interesting or inventive.

Delcat

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #19
V/H/S 2 is out already?  Ugh, the first one was so bad that I have to see the second.  Why are we wired this way?

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Movies We've Seen Recently #20
Why are we wired this way?
Delcat, July 02, 2013, 06:50:28 pm

Because we are fundamentally broken people.
Alpha Starsquatch Delcat

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #21
I am currently watching Iron Sky with my buddies. It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. There is a shot-for-shot-parody of that one scene from... I think it's called "The Bunker", where Hitler freaks out at everybody. It's amazing.

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
Movies We've Seen Recently #22
Is that the Moon Nazi one? I had a chance to see that in a theatre, and I didn't. :/

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #23
It is indeed the Moon Nazi one. It has its moments, and when they're good they're a riot, but by the end of it I was just kind of done with the whole business. But then that might be because the ending struck me as particularly stupid and entirely too sincere to be stuck on a movie with motherfucking moon Nazis.

Alpha Starsquatch

• bigfoot conservationist
  • Paid
  • back alley veterinarian
Movies We've Seen Recently #24
I ran out of horror movies of Netflix so I figured I'd bite the bullet and watch Elvira: Mistress of the Dark. It was surprisingly funny. Not quite Return of the Killer Tomatoes, but still a good film.

Ansemaru

• we put our faith in
  • Paid
  • blast hardcheese
Movies We've Seen Recently #25
That moon nazi movie was... a thing, for sure. I honestly don't know what to make of it.

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Movies We've Seen Recently #26
They're making a sequel. It's got a flex funding indiegogo campaign.

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #27
Must... resist... urge to fund...

Edit: Today's viewing will be the 1938 Adventures of Robin Hood, starring Errol Flynn, the only man aside from Isfahan who could bump me back down the Kinsey scale towards heterosexuality. Pro tip to all the gentlemen out there: when you turn up late to a dinner party, it's totally fine as long as you carry a deer in on your shoulders, sass everyone at the table who wields more political power than you do, and maintain constant bedroom eyes.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:18:48 pm by Cuddlesquid »

Yossarian

• Sophisticated Sophistry
  • Paid
  • No one tell Hitler!
Movies We've Seen Recently #28

Edit: Today's viewing will be the 1938 Adventures of Robin Hood, starring Errol Flynn, the only man aside from Isfahan who could bump me back down the Kinsey scale towards heterosexuality. Pro tip to all the gentlemen out there: when you turn up late to a dinner party, it's totally fine as long as you carry a deer in on your shoulders, sass everyone at the table who wields more political power than you do, and maintain constant bedroom eyes.
Cuddlesquid, July 05, 2013, 02:29:56 pm

Are you implying that I ever don't do all of those things?

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
Movies We've Seen Recently #29

Cuddlesquid, July 05, 2013, 02:29:56 pm

Fear not, Olivia de Havilland is there to bump you back into place. That is, hands down, my favorite Robin Hood movie.