Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:54:19 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Episode 31 - This Isn't Even My Final Draft!  (Read 6033 times)

Shell Game

• Fearless: The Fiscal Year of Shadow
  • Paid
  • Rex Morgan knows about Pretty Cure. Look it up.
Episode 31 - This Isn't Even My Final Draft!
GirlKisser420 SHAMBA~1.SBB eldritchhat Ganymede

Ganymede

• Larval Gambino
  • Paid
  • WARNING: IMPLICIT CONTENT
Episode 31 - This Isn't Even My Final Draft! #1
Some really valuable feedback courtesy of my roomie!

She enjoyed the parts of the episode where the comedy was in the person posting moreso than jokes that centered around the critique of someone's writing or practicing their worldbuilding.  Making fun of shitty writing is often what we do, but it's different when we visit a place which is ostensibly for people to practice and get better so that their writing isn't shitty.  It's debatable, but I absolutely see where she's coming from, and I think it's worth considering when we pick content for future material.
Ashto Sovereign

Shell Game

• Paid
Episode 31 - This Isn't Even My Final Draft! #2

She enjoyed the parts of the episode where the comedy was in the person posting moreso than jokes that centered around the critique of someone's writing or practicing their worldbuilding.  Making fun of shitty writing is often what we do, but it's different when we visit a place which is ostensibly for people to practice and get better so that their writing isn't shitty.  It's debatable, but I absolutely see where she's coming from, and I think it's worth considering when we pick content for future material.
Ghoulymede, December 06, 2017, 07:03:48 pm

i mean a lot of places are ostensibly for people to exercise their hobby of sorts

i think the humor is in the ludicrous form that takes.

but idk i guess it's worth some thought

i relistened to it. i actually disagree. i love making fun of bad writing, even practice writing. sure it's better when it's published or fully realized stuff but i think this is fair game for joking about. it's still pretty internet.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:15:41 am by Shell Game »

SHAMBA~1.SBB

• I love dungs!!
  • Paid
  • ƨtupid cat
Episode 31 - This Isn't Even My Final Draft! #3

She enjoyed the parts of the episode where the comedy was in the person posting moreso than jokes that centered around the critique of someone's writing or practicing their worldbuilding.  Making fun of shitty writing is often what we do, but it's different when we visit a place which is ostensibly for people to practice and get better so that their writing isn't shitty.  It's debatable, but I absolutely see where she's coming from, and I think it's worth considering when we pick content for future material.Ghoulymede, December 06, 2017, 07:03:48 pm
I would be more inclined to agree if I actually thought that this stuff was an attempt in good faith for these people to exercise and refine their craft as storytellers, but I have a hard time seeing it as anything but your average Internet circlejerk.  I think that very few of these people would be writing talking about thinking about writing but for the social incentive of participating in these little communities and the self-image of being a "writer" and thus smart (regardless of how smart their ideas actually are).  I actually ranted about this a bit for "What did we learn?" but it was (rightly) cut from the episode.
Corn Syrup Shell Game Ganymede

Shell Game

• Paid
Episode 31 - This Isn't Even My Final Draft! #4
yeah i agree with that

Ganymede

• Larval Gambino
  • Paid
  • WARNING: IMPLICIT CONTENT
Episode 31 - This Isn't Even My Final Draft! #5
I agree with most of what's been said.

I also want to clarify, since it wasn't clear, that while I think her feedback is valuable (because demographically I'm assuming that if one person had the response, more than one person had the response) I don't agree with it.  I don't have any moral compunctions about our content, but it did get me thinking a little about the cheaper jokes we made.  She remains pretty thoroughly convinced that most of the posters were teenagers, and to her it occasionally felt like we were just bullying kids.  She likes the rest of our episodes and gets the spirit of atrocity tourism, otherwise I'd sort of expect that feedback from someone whom the show just isn't a good fit for.

EDIT: We also talked a lot about what you brought up specifically Sham, and while the odds on that are heavily in favor on this being a nothing avenue for these people, her point is that we have no way to know for sure that that's the case, and that if she'd heard something like this as a young writer she might have stopped writing.  This also assumes the incredibly slim chance that anyone we read about will listen to our episode, but I could see how a writer who's aware their work is around this level would feel discouraged listening to us blast people for craft ineptitude instead of personal depravity, as is our typical fare (which isn't to say we didn't get plenty of that in this episode).

It reminds me a little of the Tila Tequila episode.  I respect and want to hear out the people who thought those were ethically unsound episodes to publish, even if I don't personally agree.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:53:55 pm by Ghoulymede »

Shell Game

• Paid
Episode 31 - This Isn't Even My Final Draft! #6
i mean i don't think anyone's trying to ignore criticism. i just don't really think it applies.

also we have def made fun of kids in other episodes.  like those ghost fuckers were at least half made up of teenagers

it's a mean spirited joke when you boil it down. no malice (usually), but we're def making fun. i dunno. it seems like it was just not her thing?

personally, i agree to disagree here i guess.
Ganymede

SHAMBA~1.SBB

• I love dungs!!
  • Paid
  • ƨtupid cat
Episode 31 - This Isn't Even My Final Draft! #7
She remains pretty thoroughly convinced that most of the posters were teenagers, and to her it occasionally felt like we were just bullying kids.Ghoulymede, December 07, 2017, 03:48:49 pm
That is a very strange definition of "bullying".

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
Episode 31 - This Isn't Even My Final Draft! #8
This episode made Sherman Tank sad.

Shell Game

• Paid
Episode 31 - This Isn't Even My Final Draft! #9
This episode made Sherman Tank sad.
Sherman Tank Man, December 08, 2017, 04:25:18 am
sorry Sherman

i can get more stuff from Sissykiss if you like

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
Episode 31 - This Isn't Even My Final Draft! #10
i can get more stuff from Sissykiss if you like
Shell Game, December 08, 2017, 09:02:54 am

Well, my life has been going a bit too well lately...
Shell Game