Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 05:53:00 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods  (Read 50939 times)

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #60
I've been looking at that site and they're hitting just the right spot in my "buy only stuff with interesting names" compartment. I know it's stupid, but I really want to try some of these just based on names. I don't really need perfumes though, so somebody give me an excuse to order some samples.

This has sandalwood, which I love, so I really want to try it.

http://www.zomgsmellsshop.com/the-melancholy-death-of-nikola-tesla/

These sound nice too.

http://www.zomgsmellsshop.com/siamese-squid-nebula-1/
http://www.zomgsmellsshop.com/sugar-dragon-1/

Oh, look! It's the fake Finnish saint!

http://www.zomgsmellsshop.com/the-trials-of-st-urho-1/

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
  • My cat? Let me tell you about my cat...
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #61
Yeah, Sugar Dragon sounded neat, but I'm afraid I've repeated a few scents too much as it is. Oh well.

I'm going to double up on the testing today because tomorrow I'm doing things with a relative who is really sensitive to perfume, so I want to avoid wearing any around her. And yes, I'm going to post about every single one here because most of my friends are guys who could care less. :/

SO, the one I'm trying here is Earth and Heaven.

"Heavenly frankincense and rich dark chocolate all mulched together with wet earth, a touch of patchouli, and the sweetest, gentlest clove in the world." Oh look, clove and patchouli. PATTERN MUCH? :V

In the bottle: Wow! I can really smell the chocolate, with frankincense backing it up. It's bitter chocolate, strong and not very sweet. Definitely interesting, but not sure how it's going to smell on me.

On wrist: The patchouli and clove are coming out more, but the chocolate is pretty wild still, and kind of clashes with the other smells.

10 minutes out: The chocolate has died down to a kind of cocoish background smell, almost like a chocolate scratch and sniff sticker. The other scents are nice, but I think I'd like this better if the chocolate was a citrus or vanilla scent instead.

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #62
Oh dear god, BPAL has a line of scents based on my favorite book ever, The Last Unicorn. I barely ever wear perfume but I want them so bad. (Well, okay, I want them to be fabulous. If they're crap then BPAL should be ashamed of itself.)

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #63
I feel that way about their Labyrinth line. It is my TOTALLY NOT SECRET shame.

Today is Candied Head: "Sugared, cakey, amber-licious and incensey."

It is supposed to smell like a cross between a head shop and a candy shop.

In bottle: BUTTERCREAM FROSTING AND INCENSE. Oh god help me I am in trouble this is like sterotypical hippe scents plus cake and I really really love it.

On wrist: The buttercream dies down a little and gets more straight up vanilla, but man. This reminds me of beach gift shops in a good way. I'm worried it might smell like I rolled in the incense section at Saturday Market, but I like it soooo much.

And then I wore it all day. The scents faded and mellowed, but stayed pretty much the same. I like this one a lot. That said, it is not subtle and is probably best saved for occasions where that's alright.

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #64
SOMETIMES IT'S OKAY TO SMELL LIKE CAKE!

Clockderp

• Paid
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #65
All this perfume-talk reminds me: is anyone here familiar with Avon's Bondgirl 007 Forever perfume? I'd like to find something with a similar smell (since it's been discontinued), but I am a total perfume noob and I don't really understand what the various smell descriptions mean.

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #66
All this perfume-talk reminds me: is anyone here familiar with Avon's Bondgirl 007 Forever perfume? I'd like to find something with a similar smell (since it's been discontinued), but I am a total perfume noob and I don't really understand what the various smell descriptions mean.
Clockderp, June 29, 2013, 04:43:42 am

The perfume you were interested in was listed under "Oriental Woodsy", so if you are looking for similar scents try looking for other products belonging to those categories. Basically, how perfumes work is that you have different olfactory groups that define the basic tones of the scent. Here is a brief summary explaining this more clearly.

Aldehydic perfumes contain chemicals belonging to the aldehyde group. Character: pure and fresh. Example: Chanel N°5 (Chanel)

Aromatic perfumes are made of various herbs, e.g. rosemary, basil or thyme. Character: outdoorsy and fresh. Example: Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca (Guerlain)

Aquatic perfumes will have a base of synthetic ingredients that evoke the sea, mountain air or fresh linen. Character: clean and modern. Example: L'Eau d'Issey" (Issey Miyake) 

Citrus/fruity perfumes include bergamot, grapefruit, lemon, mandarin, sweet orange and fruits such as peach, red berries, watermelon, etc. Character: fresh and light. Example: Dior Addict 2 (Dior)

Floral perfumes contain flower extracts, such as rose, lily or jasmine. Character: sweet and delicate. Example: Pure Poison (Dior)

Green perfumes, formerly known as chypres, are made of bergamot, labdanum, patchouli and oakmoss. Character: woody and floral. Example: Coco Mademoiselle (Chanel)

Gourmand perfumes contain notes like vanilla and tonka bean, chocolate or caramel. Character: sweet and edible. Example: Delices (Cartier)

Oriental perfumes have a base of amber, musks, vanilla and other exotic plants. Character: warm and sensual. Example: Dior Addict (Dior)

Woody perfumes are made of woods such as cedar, patchouli, sandalwood and vetiver. Character: earthy and masculine. Example: Mediterranean (Elizabeth Arden)

You'll probably want something described as "spicy" or "warm", as those are the usual characteristics of Oriental type perfumes.

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #67
Have any of you found a scent that's nicely apple-y? My mom wore Joop's "All About Eve", which I loved but has been discontinued. It smelled like apple and a bit like vanilla.

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #68
SOMETIMES IT'S OKAY TO SMELL LIKE CAKE!
montrith, June 29, 2013, 04:07:04 am

YES, BUT THIS SMELLS LIKE SOMEONE PUT INCENSE STICKS ON IT INSTEAD OF CANDLES.

Ok, two mini-reviews of samples that didn't really grab me at all:

Spiced Hypatia: "cinnamon-and-nutmeg poached pear, sweet dark myrrh, and warm Egyptian musk." All the reviews on the site waxed poetic over how this was a "real" pear smell. What I got was pear-flavored jelly belly and a tiny bit of anemic spice. No myrrh, no musk, NOT ENOUGH NUTMEG. Could be my body chemistry, but I am disappoint.

Elder Spicecake: "Smoky clove, cinnamon, rum and apple puree with a strong whiff of some intrepid but unlucky adventurer's musky bay rum (applied shortly before he fell into the Elder Cake), all covered with a sticky-sweet glaze." I was so excited about this one, but when I tried it, it was a nicer, more clove-heavy (REALLY CLOVE HEAVY) version of Old Spice. :/ Not what I had hoped for.

Clockderp

• Paid
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #69
Thanks, Montrith! :D The list should also be super helpful in weeding out any unrelated scents that I'll probably find unpleasant, which is nice.

Luna

• Paid
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #70
Ooh, I should remember this thread next time I do my nails up fancy. Right now I'm just wearing Private Dancer, it's shiny and purple except when it decides to go goldish!

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #71
Ooh, I should remember this thread next time I do my nails up fancy. Right now I'm just wearing Private Dancer, it's shiny and purple except when it decides to go goldish!
Luna, July 10, 2013, 06:29:32 pm

Love the color! I meant to take a pic of my wedding nails, but accident happened and they were ruined before I even got to the church. Oh well, next time.

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #72
I got perfumed out. I'll try to review the last three when I'm able.

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #73
I counted the number of scarves I own today. It's in the high thirties.

I may have a problem, ladythread.

nigeline

• Willy Dang Doodle
  • Paid
  • All you do is dump
Lady Chat Thread: Shoes & Periods #74
Luna, July 10, 2013, 06:29:32 pm

Love the color! I meant to take a pic of my wedding nails, but accident happened and they were ruined before I even got to the church. Oh well, next time.
montrith, July 11, 2013, 01:22:02 am
Next time you get married, I hope.