Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:29:10 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Guilt?  (Read 35848 times)

Delcat

• Paid
Guilt? #15
A lot of people who are paranoid or have ocd (or a mix of both) are really good employees because they have excellent proficiency at focusing and performing tasks. That is as long as the job doesn't interfere with their obsessions anyway.  If their boundaries aren't crossed, they can turn off the crazy long enough to get through a work day. These are people who spend all waking hours focused on survival. Keeping a steady paycheck is often important to them.
fruit power, February 12, 2013, 03:03:56 pm

Mom always said a little bit of OCD can be a very productive thing.  The trick is medicating it to the point where it's honing your skills and attention, but not forcing you to spend three hours on a single task.

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Guilt? #16
I felt guilty about making fun of the Fat Activist people, until I found out what they were really like. The thing is, FAs really only have one agenda, and that is to blame everything on everyone else and not accept any personal responsibility. You've listened the episode, so you know that they'll go to ridiculous lengths in order to not only explain why it is COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight, but also why everyone else should go out of their way in order to accommodate their issues and problems. Can't fit into a movie theater seat? Remodel all theaters everywhere! Getting fatigued when climbing up the stairs? Stairs are oppressing me, eliminate all stairs! They're all for tolerance and peace and love, until someone dares to say something they don't like. Then they are suddenly all for rules and laws dictating how people should behave and what opinions everyone else is allowed to have. I'm perfectly willing to accept people of all size, shape and color, but don't expect me to jump every time you shout the magic word "Privilege!"

Another issue is that the FA agenda can be downright harmful in some cases, which they vehemently refuse to acknowledge. Attacking a mother who's concerned that her five-year-old refuses to eat anything but pizza and hamburgers is not helping the child. Likewise, denying that people's health could possibly have anything to do with their weight is not only stupid, it's being accessory to suicide. My grandfather died of a diabetes related heart attack in his late 50s. He could have lived longer, but because he refused to keep to his diet his body couldn't take the stress. He was very much of his generation, which had not been thought about proper nutrition or the dangers of obesity. You wanna be fat? Fine, it's your life, but don't go telling stupid people it's completely okay to weigh half a ton and it will absolutely not have any harmful effects on your body.

Adept

• Statistically Insignificant
  • Paid
  • (p=.056)
Guilt? #17
I agree with Montrith here. I'm sympathetic to the idea of accepting people regardless of their body shape, but that's different than pandering to unhealthy life decisions. It's funny because I went into the episode thinking 'I might actually feel a bit bad about this' and came out unable to believe that these people were so willingly obtuse. I think that's the case of a lot of these Tumbler-SJ type groups - groups which, superficially, seems to be supporting a reasonable cause, but which have clearly taken a sharp right away from reality and have become subsumed in their own little inbred world.

I don't feel like the ridiculists have really treated anyone unfairly, and the sympathetic subjects actually tend to come across more as endearing in their readings than anything else. Like the clingfilm guy. God I love the clingfilm guy.

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
Guilt? #18
Yeah, accepting people regardless of their body type is one thing, but these people are denialists.  They claim that there is no way to change your weight even with diet and exercise, and that there are no medical downsides to obesity.  Literally every doctor I have ever visited has said otherwise.  They're like Creationists or Climate Change deniers.  They simply reject science that they dislike, and that isn't okay on the left wing or the right wing.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Guilt? #19
If the impression of the podcast is "we look at stuff and then make fun of it," that's not the whole spirit of it. For my own part, I try to have my humor originate from a source different than "haha this is weird," because really, there are tons and tons of people from tons and tons of sites who do that already and it's fucking Easy Mode. Instead, I try to give a cursory monster cockysis of what we're reading and extrapolating a kind of universally-understood ridiculousness from it, something that potentially even the exhibits would have to agree is funny.

A perfect example is the boob-inflation stuff. If it was just us going "haha people who like boob inflation are weird," that would have stopped being funny about thirty seconds in. However, the writing itself served up most of the humor, and the boob-inflation as a theme took a backseat.

"Wait, her bra is cutting into her tits and denting them? That sounds like it would hurt."

"If you're into boob growth and you're here reading this because you find it hot, do you really give a shit what they're filling with?"

Another is the Superpwrful Piss story. It's a story about people holding in piss and omorashi and whatever, but it's just so badly written—and genuinely badly written, too, which is getting rarer and rarer—that it could have been in a bad-writing episode all on its own, even if the layer of fetishism wasn't there. The readers gave it the same treatment: gleaning humor from the writing rather than the subject.

The central theme which ties stuff together into an episode is more often a backdrop for the real funny stuff, which is why I don't really feel guilty. We make fun of people who have genuinely unlikeable traits about them (PUAs, bad mothers, pretentious bands), and for the people who are just weird or crazy, we get our laughs from the stuff they write, not they themselves (fetishists, new-age folks, Basil Marceaux). To me, it seems self-evident, though I think I have a hard time explaining my perspective on it.

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
Guilt? #20
What does crazy mean to you exactly, certified crazy person?
Zsa Zsa, February 13, 2013, 05:39:15 am
From my perspective a crazy person is someone with strange or off the wall thoughts.  A person who has an actual organic mental illness is sick, not crazy.  To be crazy you have to have some sort of really weird opinion or fixation that can only be explained by your own bizarre thinking.  In my case that is political opinions that haven't been popular in this country for the better part of a century.  In other cases it might be thinking that you have PTSD because you were tortured in the astral realm in a past life, or thinking that rubbing your dick with another dick has vast spiritual meaning.  Crazy isn't necessarily bad either, I rather like my strange opinions, but it's certainly abnormal.

So a person who is housebound because they have PTSD from the war and staying inside their own home all the time is the only way to control their environment in such a way as to avoid triggering a flashback isn't crazy, they are mentally ill and should never be mocked for that.  They need compassion and free medical care.  But a person who never leaves their house because they are afraid that wild feminists will spermjack them is just fucking nuts.  That's my position on the matter.

Delcat

• Paid
Guilt? #21
"If you're into boob growth and you're here reading this because you find it hot, do you really give a shit what they're filling with?"Isfahan, February 13, 2013, 04:37:39 pm

I'd have to say yes, on account of the whole sugar thing is one of the squickiest things I've ever heard.  I think it's entirely possible to be part of the weirdest kink community in the world and still be able to come up with some twist that makes the other members go "Wait, what the fuck is your malfunction?"

I know that's not the point of the post but holy shit I can't forget the sugar thing no matter how much I try.

KingKalamari

• Cephalopod Enthusiast
  • Paid
  • It's Samba time for Tambo & Weep Day for Urine Man
Guilt? #22
I guess the only ones that really elicit something resembling guilt were the crazy teenagers from "Cut my Life into Pieces" (Mostly because I figure most of them will probably grow out of being shit heads) and some of the fat people from the support group episode (Not so much the healthy sex people, the fat guys were at least making efforts to try and make healthy life choices and better themselves whereas the people in the sex forum were all just about barbecue flavoured man pops).

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Guilt? #23
The sex forum was full of just the most awkward conversations between strangers. Everyone knew it was awkward, you could tell, but they also thought they must be the only one finding it awkward so they just played along.

I mean the whole banana split thing? Jesus. Someone uses a tortured banana-mean-penis metaphor and then gets a few sex puns in there and then they fucking immediately run it into the ground and keep going until you're just embarrassed for everyone involved. Don't they know they have the option to let the conversation end?

John Toast

• The original Fat Voice™
  • Ridiculist
  • Cover me in syrup. I'm delicious.
Guilt? #24
I do feel a bit off about episodes involving, like Runic said, people that could actually be just sick in the head. Gangstalkers in particular make me more sad than amused at their insanity. Most if not all of the people we read were obtuse and insufferable beyond their craziness, so I don't feel too bad, but still.

That's about it, though. I have no sympathy for the FAs or the social justice idiots or whatever. For whatever issue we talk about, we read the PETA side of that issue. And fuck PETA.
Sherman Tank Junimo

Acierocolotl

• Romance Supremacist
  • Ridiculist
  • You will be romanticized
Guilt? #25
I mean the whole banana split thing? Jesus. Someone uses a tortured banana-mean-penis metaphor and then gets a few sex puns in there and then they fucking immediately run it into the ground and keep going until you're just embarrassed for everyone involved. Don't they know they have the option to let the conversation end?
Isfahan, February 14, 2013, 09:52:09 pm

That didn't strike me as especially unusual.  What you had there was not-terribly socialized people--dare I say kinda maybe nerdy?--who upon having found something funny, made the logical leap that a funny thing repeated is still funny.  It was "Bus Walkman" Syndrome.

Delcat

• Paid
Guilt? #26
For whatever issue we talk about, we read the PETA side of that issue. And fuck PETA.
John Toast, February 15, 2013, 02:28:58 am

Wow, thank you for reducing a long, awkward conversation with dissenters into a convenient sound byte.  I'll definitely be using that.  You have earned yourself one (1) Sea Kitten.

Danged hipster narwhals these days...

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Guilt? #27
Drestina KostoomDelcat, February 15, 2013, 07:56:13 am

Where'd this come from? Can I put it in the episode notes?

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Guilt? #28
Oh, don't even get me started on fucking Sea Kittens. If I know anything, I know fish, and they are nasty little buggers who would not hesitate to eat you if you were small enough for them to swallow.

Delcat

• Paid
Guilt? #29
Drestina KostoomDelcat, February 15, 2013, 07:56:13 am

Where'd this come from? Can I put it in the episode notes?
Lemon, February 15, 2013, 08:38:22 am

You mean you've never heard of Sea Kittens?  Some people call them "fish", but that's because they're evil and don't discern between sea kittens and land kittens, when in fact they are totally identical!  Why, sea kittens are just as cute as...um, well, they're certainly furry and cudd...uh, maybe not, but they're fun to watch play with...well they actually just kind of sit there, but they eat their own crap, isn't that kind of neat?  Anyone?

(I'd be absolutely flattered, if you're not being sarcastic.)