Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:15:56 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Anybody like horror movies?  (Read 3846 times)

A Whirring Bone-White Gleech

• fact-lord
  • Paid
  • I was in first place, you whore!
Anybody like horror movies?
I love horror movies.  I'm watching The Haunting right now, and it's great.

Anyone else love horror movies?
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
Anybody like horror movies? #1
I love horror movies.  I'm watching The Haunting right now, and it's great.

Anyone else love horror movies?
A Whirring, Bone-White Gleech, June 30, 2018, 11:13:47 pm
Videodrome is the best "Movie-about-movies" ever made and you might be saying "hey what about 8 1/2 or some shit like that" but answer me this: does one guy kill another guy with a grenade that he took out of a vaginesque cavity in his stomach in 8 1/2?

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
Anybody like horror movies? #2
I like the idea of horror movies more frequently than I like horror movies

eldritchhat

• Lady of Calamaris
  • Paid
  • Card Carrying Boobgeoisie
Anybody like horror movies? #3
Finding a really good horror movie is really a treasure, since the vast majority of horror movies out there are either mediocre or terrible.

I have personally always loved the aesthetic of 80s style practical effects in horror, Cronenberg is the king in this area, but John Carpenter has also made some really great contributions with stuff like The Thing and In The Mouth of Madness. The Evil Dead series is a classic because it strikes a great balance between absurdist humor and surreal, visceral horror that is quite hard to replicate. I would say that the film that best approaches that sort of balance, but with a very different visual style, would be the film Herbert West: Reanimator, which is honestly my favorite cinematic-adaption of any Lovecraft story because of how well it leans into the sort of trashy, pulp-novel aspect of his work that more "serious" adapters shy away from. I really enjoy that movie, I would say for anyone else who has seen it and wants more in that vein should check out From Beyond and Society (though, I should warn you, they are both extremely sexually explicit and nsfw) because those were made by some of the same people behind Herbert West.
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop chai tea latte A Whirring Bone-White Gleech

Mix

• God's Personal Jester
  • Paid
  • ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Anybody like horror movies? #4
I love horror movies but I have a bad habit of losing interest halfway through on a lot of stuff.

I also like a lot of foreign stuff because some of the shit they come up with is incredible

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
Anybody like horror movies? #5
Finding a really good horror movie is really a treasure, since the vast majority of horror movies out there are either mediocre or terrible.

I have personally always loved the aesthetic of 80s style practical effects in horror, Cronenberg is the king in this area, but John Carpenter has also made some really great contributions with stuff like The Thing and In The Mouth of Madness. The Evil Dead series is a classic because it strikes a great balance between absurdist humor and surreal, visceral horror that is quite hard to replicate. I would say that the film that best approaches that sort of balance, but with a very different visual style, would be the film Herbert West: Reanimator, which is honestly my favorite cinematic-adaption of any Lovecraft story because of how well it leans into the sort of trashy, pulp-novel aspect of his work that more "serious" adapters shy away from. I really enjoy that movie, I would say for anyone else who has seen it and wants more in that vein should check out From Beyond and Society (though, I should warn you, they are both extremely sexually explicit and nsfw) because those were made by some of the same people behind Herbert West.
eldritchhat, July 01, 2018, 09:00:34 am
Can't forget about the Stuart Gordon and Jeffrey Combs collab Castle Freak (same warning)

sambair

• Paid
Anybody like horror movies? #6
Last night, I finally watched C.H.U.D. II: Bud the C.H.U.D. I would only recommend it if you're in the mood for the dumbest shit ever. If you are in that mood, and at least slightly drunk, it's a pretty good time. It makes the original C.H.U.D. look like the Godfather.

ikaribattousai

• Paid
Anybody like horror movies? #7
I recently watched the Bloodthirsty Trilogy, a Japanese vampire series from the '70s that I really enjoyed. They only connect in that they're all by the same director, but they were a fun time.

Movies were the Vampire Doll

Lake of Dracula

and Evil of Dracula

2017 had a few horror movies I really liked including It Comes at Night, Killing of a Sacred Deer, and The Void, though some of those are not the movies their trailers sell them as.

2018 has had a few good ones so far with A Quiet Place and Hereditary.
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop eldritchhat
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 10:27:52 pm by ikaribattousai »