Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:20:04 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Star Trek: The Next Space Nine From Boldly Go Original Series  (Read 13741 times)

Shell Game

• Showrunner of Extra Credit
  • Paid
  • Rex Morgan knows about Pretty Cure. Look it up.
- Oh, Lwaxana rules too.
Frank West, December 05, 2020, 01:35:04 pm
Okay, yeah. I mean, yeah.
Lemon, December 05, 2020, 05:58:43 pm
I was very prepared to make a ton of words happen at you, but i got to the end, saw this and... y'know? Agree to disagree on whatever else, we agree where it counts.

- Oh, Lwaxana rules too.
Frank West, December 05, 2020, 01:35:04 pm
Lwaxana is the absolute worst and I will not back down from this position. Turtle, December 05, 2020, 10:22:16 pm
I already knew you had terrible judgment, so we're still at the same place, you and I.
chai tea latte
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 02:54:43 am by Shell Game »

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
Can I get some bulbs for Tasha Yar?
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop, December 05, 2020, 10:56:01 am

Oh no, I got Tasha Yar and Ro Laren mixed up (again). Please give me back my bulb.
Mr. Hunky Academia, December 06, 2020, 02:13:44 am
Ro kicks even more ass

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
chai tea latte Mr. Hunky Academia Sauce Achilles' Heelies Salubrious Rex

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
I think it would be really cool if Dax and Major Kira hung out more, and kissed. That's kinda my only star trek opinion so far.
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Boots Raingear Sauce

Boots Raingear

• BBQ Man-Pop
  • Administrator
  • CEO of Victor's basement
I haven't yet tried any of the Discovery. Boots tells me it gets good by the 3rd season, but that's too long to wait.
Lemon, December 05, 2020, 05:58:43 pm

It's now doing its best to lose me again, but I do like that it's still keeping up with plotlines that resolve in one episode.

auaurorau

• Paid
All star trek is alien to me. My experience with the series is: I've seen the ship made in Minecraft, I watched an episode with friends five years ago (I remember nothing about it), and I recognize Riker, Picard, and Data.

To get what the fuss is about, I watched a star trek inspired by this thread. The star trek I watched was The Next Generation's season 3 episode 1: "an angry man and his egg". I don't get what the fuss is about.

I appreciated that the episode made the nasty man very nasty and unlikable. A well-acted nasty person. But that meant the episode was centered around this rude and vaguely sexist doctor. I didn't appreciate that. I would've rather had the whole episode centered about the gray-dressed boy and his mom. (I don't know their names, and I think his mom was only ever called "doctor".)

I feel like I watched a naruto filler episode. Zoom into computer block 35 with a magnification of one thousand. Expel the sage chakra through your feet. It's all the same. Maybe that was just a particularly mediocre episode hampered by my dislike for the angry doctor.

I get that there's a message of pacifism. But it really wasn't both sides at fault, like Picard said in the end after the man made a sad face and said sorry after 40 minutes of low key toxicity and murder. It was just the doctor's fault. He should've been shot out of the airlock pretty early on, and this could've been an interesting episode. But I'm glad the conflict wasn't solved by the nanites going in the doctor's brain and playing imagined baseball with him, because if that had happened, I would never watch a star trek again.
chai tea latte

lazzer grardaion?

• Paid
All star trek is alien to me. My experience with the series is: I've seen the ship made in Minecraft, I watched an episode with friends five years ago (I remember nothing about it), and I recognize Riker, Picard, and Data.
auaurorau, December 06, 2020, 04:23:22 pm

^Gonna say this: there are so many different kinds of Star Trek episode, I bet you will find some that you love. Some episodes I really like that might serve as better starting points:

S3E21 - Hollow Pursuits - Introduces Reginald Barkley, a weirdo with anxiety who spends too much time playing future video games. A fun character and a lighthearted episode.

S4E21 - The Drumhead - an excellent courtroom drama episode, in which investigation of a spy onboard the ship turns into something more sinister.

S6E5 - Schisms - My personal favorite Spooky Episode. Not gonna spoil too much of it because it's fun and spooky.

If it doesn't click , though, you should drop Star Trek and watch Stargate SG-1 instead. Then we can start a Stargate megathread, too.

ANYWAYS

I want to talk about Worf.

I never loved Worf as a kid, I found the Klingon episodes kind of boring and impenetrable, and in the first couple seasons Worf is mostly there to get whomped by the monster of the week to prove the situation is serious.

As an adult, I love Worf so much. This is mostly because Worf is a huge Klingon weeaboo.

Allow me to explain:

Worf, the Klingon, was raised by humans. Specifically, he was raised by the Rozhenkos, a couple of very bubbly and friendly eastern-European humans.

Worf wasn't brought up in the Klingon empire, and he didn't learn about Klingon values first-hand. He grew up reading about, and trying to absorb Klingon culture into his identity, based on what they *say* they value as a society (honor, valor, courage, etc.)

Klingon episodes are great because you get to see Worf, a very sweet boy, who is trying his best, experience the collision between the values he's been *told* he's supposed to have as a Klingon, and which he personally has tried to uphold, and the reality that Klingons are just people, some of whom are dicks.

It's also so much fun to see how much better Picard is at playing the Klingon game of posturing and politics than Worf. Picard never holds it over him, though.

Also, for real, Worf and Troi make a much better couple than Riker and Troi. I ship it.
Mr. Hunky Academia auaurorau chai tea latte

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
The best Worf episode is the one with the klingon-romulans on the prison plant. Worf is like "I must teach you to be true klingons!" And its like "wait a second Worf..."
lazzer grardaion? RoeCocoa

lazzer grardaion?

• Paid
The best Worf episode is the one with the klingon-romulans on the prison plant. Worf is like "I must teach you to be true klingons!" And its like "wait a second Worf..."
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop, December 06, 2020, 05:04:52 pm

I just re-watched that one recently, and although it's not my absolute favorite, it is still really sweet to see Worf teaching these youngsters, because it really highlights how these ideas of Klingon culture, even if they aren't necessarily representative of the actual society, are reassuring and comforting to Worf, and that's the part that he wants to share.

Also, coming back to episodes that are Just Fun™:

S7E11 - Parallels - Worf accidentally collapses the multiverse.

EDIT: Regarding Lwaxana Troi discourse, I think I like Lwaxana because she reminds me of this kind of lady:

And that explains equally well why other people do not like her.

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop chai tea latte The Smoking Dad
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 07:53:31 pm by ZOMBOZO Evil clown »

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
All star trek is alien to me.auaurorau, December 06, 2020, 04:23:22 pm
I don't know much about TNG episodes, but watching a Star Trek episode at random is an absolute crapshoot. The quality vacillates wildly between "well written and compelling exploration of a premise" and "oh no someone has god powers and needs to be spanked by a stern dad to get him to stop". It's not well-liked because of its consistent quality, it's well liked because it has a bunch of really good episodes, a bunch of decent episodes, and a bunch of episodes where you laugh about how you're supposed to take fake rubber vomit getting flopped around on strings as a serious alien threat.

Regarding Lwaxana Troi discourse, I think I like Lwaxana because she reminds me of this kind of lady:

And that explains equally well why other people do not like her.ZOMBOZO Evil clown, December 06, 2020, 05:12:03 pm
Same. TNG came out right when the New Agey aunt who overshares and is always a little too horny was a big Thing. (I remember there's a character from Tiny Toons, which is right about from the same time period, whose whole gag is that she's also extremely New Agey.) Lwaxana has just flown in from Boulder and she's here to talk to Picard about how his sacral chakra needs cleansing.
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop lazzer grardaion? auaurorau
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 08:01:47 pm by THE CURSE OF THE WITCH OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB »

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
I'd actually question if I could watch & enjoy Star Trek without the aid of nostalgia. I think maybe I could? There's fun to be had in a lot of it but also I first watched it when TNG was actually on the air, so it all lives in a certain headspace.

I like it cause it's campy and I like it because it's imaginative, but I also like it because it's fairly uniquely about values. Ethical correctness and scientific curiosity are always, always always an imperative. That's neat. Complicated antiheroes are overrated. Brooding antiheroes are dull paragons for dull people.

But again, I recognize a rose tint to this. I never watched Doctor Who as a child and didn't really even consider it until I felt like I was older than its target demo. As such, the little bit I've experienced I've recognized a lot of the same traits in that show that I'd laud Star Trek for, except in Doctor Who's case, I don't care at all about the final product. It feels populist and overlong and none of the parables I've experienced (again, limited exposure here) have felt profound or even enjoyable. Just a long show that seems to take itself pretty seriously full of sci-fi tropes that don't have consequence for me.

I don't know if there's real qualitative difference there beyond my own mindset in experiencing them
chai tea latte lazzer grardaion?

Salubrious Rex

• Paid
I only got into Star Trek in the past couple of years, and have only seen TNG so far. I like it a lot, I even thought season 1 was fine. S2E9, The Measure of a Man is one of my favourite episodes of anything, it's great. My standards for what a good Star Trek episode is might be a bit low but I regularly find myself being impressed by an episode. The main cast are well written, well acted characters and very well explored. It's really a delight to have a show filled with characters that I like and getting to see how they behave in every scenario under the sun.

Modern Star Trek (Picard, Discovery) looks entirely not even close to my alley, let alone up it, but I never have to watch it so I do not care.

This is all of my Star Trek thoughts and opinions.
lazzer grardaion?

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
I'd actually question if I could watch & enjoy Star Trek without the aid of nostalgia. I think maybe I could? There's fun to be had in a lot of it but also I first watched it when TNG was actually on the air, so it all lives in a certain headspace.

I like it cause it's campy and I like it because it's imaginative, but I also like it because it's fairly uniquely about values. Ethical correctness and scientific curiosity are always, always always an imperative. That's neat. Complicated antiheroes are overrated. Brooding antiheroes are dull paragons for dull people.

But again, I recognize a rose tint to this. I never watched Doctor Who as a child and didn't really even consider it until I felt like I was older than its target demo. As such, the little bit I've experienced I've recognized a lot of the same traits in that show that I'd laud Star Trek for, except in Doctor Who's case, I don't care at all about the final product. It feels populist and overlong and none of the parables I've experienced (again, limited exposure here) have felt profound or even enjoyable. Just a long show that seems to take itself pretty seriously full of sci-fi tropes that don't have consequence for me.

I don't know if there's real qualitative difference there beyond my own mindset in experiencing them
Lemon, December 06, 2020, 10:15:51 pm

The big qualitative difference between the two shows is that Doctor Who is more 'family' oriented and more consistently campy, while Star Trek's aiming for a slightly older age range and generally is more serious.

Which is probably why nerds go crazy for it, the same way they do for Princess Bride or The Fifth Element--there isn't a lot of weird goofy shit these days when every media property is a franchise getting made by Disney or a company trying to replicate Disney's success.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 06:15:23 am by THE CURSE OF THE WITCH OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB »

Cheapskate

• Persnickety fussbudget
  • Paid
Star Trek is fundamentally a police procedural.

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Star Trek is fundamentally a police procedural.
Cheapskate, December 07, 2020, 08:17:11 pm
Hawaii 5-0000000000