Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:17:16 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: TV we've been watching lately  (Read 146104 times)

Wrought

• The Unsevered
  • Paid
  • I BELLOW LOUDLY AS I TYPE THIS.
TV we've been watching lately #285
Seconding the Ugly Delicious recommendation for whoever recommended it, it's a great show even though the first episode was kind of annoying at some points and I hated the segment with walter green
Edit: I just saw the fried chicken episode! It's probably the best one yet! It really does a great job at covering all the angles when it comes to the cultural image of fried chicken in the united states and abroad! Why the fuck did Walter Green get another fucking segment?! It added nothing! It actually detracted from the show! It took time out of the discussion of fried chicken to instead waste on a message that could be conveyed in four words "chicken nuggets are bad"! I hope Walter Green spontaneously loses his sense of taste so that he will never be featured on anything having to do with food again because he's an obnoxious fucking tool!
Nikaer Drekin chai tea latte
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:54:15 pm by Wrought »

Macho Masc Sangy Savage

• Beep Beep Imma Dwarf Jeep
  • Paid
  • 🍕 Pizza Philosopher 🍕
TV we've been watching lately #286
Aggretsuko is fucking great, and even though the issues it explores is very Japan work culture-centric, there's still a lot to relate to.  I also wish I had Retsuko's metal screamo voice, it's so good.
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Penultimatum

Wrought

• The Unsevered
  • Paid
TV we've been watching lately #287
I finished the second series of Unfortunate Events on netflix and I like that it's a lot more miserable than the first series. I love that there's just so many times where it's like "okay we have a handle on things and we can work towards our goal a little better now" and then count olaf walks by and shits into the kids open mouths mid sentence. The scene with patrick warburton and nathon fillion in the car actually made my eyes a little wet.
NSFW content. Click to show.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 07:41:15 pm by Wrought »

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
TV we've been watching lately #288
The Expanse continues to be very good
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

Wrought

• The Unsevered
  • Paid
TV we've been watching lately #289
I watched Netflix's newest true crime documentary, Evil Genius. It was great and fantastic but I have one problem with it*
Nsfw for spoilers (is it spoilers if it happened in real life? whatever)

NSFW content. Click to show.

*This isn't actually a problem with the documentary. This is a problem with reality. The documentary ends on the most likely scenario of events, so it's not the show's fault. It's the criminals who are stupid.

Wrought

• The Unsevered
  • Paid
TV we've been watching lately #290
Does anyone have any thoughts on To Catch A Predator? I've been watching and rewatching it for years now, the original series, Predator: Raw, even the newer thing, Hansen Vs. Predator. It's a great show IMO, but more interesting than that to me is the huge societal impact it's had, both in the US and abroad. There's just so much stuff to talk about with so much depth and nuance that I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a podcast about it (ngl I'd definitely listen to it). Any thoughts?

Frank West

• Have you ever astraled and kicked it with satan
  • Ridiculist
  • Marky Mk 2
TV we've been watching lately #291
Does anyone have any thoughts on To Catch A Predator? I've been watching and rewatching it for years now, the original series, Predator: Raw, even the newer thing, Hansen Vs. Predator. It's a great show IMO, but more interesting than that to me is the huge societal impact it's had, both in the US and abroad. There's just so much stuff to talk about with so much depth and nuance that I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a podcast about it (ngl I'd definitely listen to it). Any thoughts?
Wrought, May 17, 2018, 08:13:15 pm

I don't know anything about what happened after the original show, but I think I hate it a lot. Public entrapment and humiliation doesn't really serve and purpose except to make trash tv, and the idea of finding our worst citizens and then parading them around on tv so we can get justice boners seems self-evidently horrifying.

The production+perverted justice actually fucked up a lot of ongoing investigations by more-or-less taking over the police role with their celebrity and then leaving the police with nothing when they moved on. There was also, of course, the time that the show (probably) managed to somehow be responsible for deciding how the cops do their jobs and directed them to storm into a suspect's house with a swat team, which caused him to shoot himself in the head. I get that probably every person who went on the show was real fucked in the head, but that's some dire shit to do regardless.
Wrought Lemon chai tea latte

Adam Bozarth

• Your friend on the internet
  • Ridiculist
  • [File Photo]
TV we've been watching lately #292
I started watching Bill Hader's new show Barry, and it is really good. It's a bit hard to buy Hader as an ex-Marine, but the rest of the show strikes a similar balance. The supporting cast is amazing, and Noho Hank will be your new favorite television character from this year. Henry Winkler is perfectly cast as the hard-ass acting teacher Gene Cousineau. Plus, my former improv teammate D'Arcy Carden is in it! Also, a few of the episodes were directed by Hiro Murai, who did the music video for Childish Gambino's "This is America." Lots of good stuff.

I also just wrapped up The Tick, Season 1, on Amazon, and it is fine. It wasn't laugh-a-minute like I was hoping from something with The Tick in it. It was more like an Arthur origin story. I am hoping the next season will actually serve the titular character better. Peter Serafinowicz starts the series with this bombastic energy that is near deflated by the last scene of the season. There are some really solid bits throughout the season, however, that made it worthwhile for me. The episodes I liked the best featured retired superdog Midnight, voiced by the animated Tick's Townsend Coleman. Since this series comes from Tick creator Ben Edlund himself, I have to respect what he was trying with this decades-old character.

I caught up on Better Call Saul, which is thoroughly great television, though it is not as funny as it has been in the past. It continues to showcase what an amazing talent the entire cast has. If you didn't like Breaking Bad, you will still love Saul.

I also just watched this Netflix anime Kakegurui - Compulsive Gambler on recommendation from my friend and podcaster Andy Beckerman. If you are unfamiliar, the series is set in a private academy where the students social lives are determined by gambling. Each episode is some strange, invented gambling game. It reminded me a lot of that YouTube video of "If Uno Was an Anime." We checked it out because Anna and I have been playing in a weekly poker game. Anna has also been watching YouTube archives of the World Series of Poker because she never once saw it when the poker craze started.
Wrought Achilles' Heelies chai tea latte

Macho Masc Sangy Savage

• Paid
  • 🍕 Pizza Philosopher 🍕
TV we've been watching lately #293
I wanted to love Nailed It, I really did. But it's just regular bad, not fun bad.

What I really want is a new season of Work of Art, and it'll never happen.
Lemon

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
TV we've been watching lately #294
Also, a few of the episodes were directed by Hiro Murai, who did the music video for Childish Gambino's "This is America." Adam Bozarth, May 18, 2018, 02:15:51 am

Hiro Murai directs most of Atlanta, also. Atlanta is the best show currently on television. Hiro Murai + Donald Glover is a recipe for exceptional success.

e: Atlanta is a little hard to describe, so I won't, but you should all watch it.

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 06:07:09 pm by chai tea latte »

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
TV we've been watching lately #295
I started watching Bill Hader's new show Barry, and it is really good.
Adam Bozarth, May 18, 2018, 02:15:51 am

I haven't bought into Barry yet, I just keep getting thrown by the tone of the thing. I mean, Bill Hader and Stephen Root are two of my favorite comedic actors ever so I'm just gonna keep going back with the promise of them being funny on screen. Winkler is solid too, but I feel like what I've seen so far tries to keep itself grounded in its own story, but that doesn't prevent it from doing wild gags. I mean, for me I'd just prefer the wild gags, but if you're going to do a two minute bit where Stephen Root is getting beaten by Serbians while Bill Hader is outside the glass door and can't hear them, I'm having trouble transitioning into a longing for meaning and acceptance. Again, want to like it, and I've only done 2 or 3 so far, but I feel like I want it to lean in a direction and stay there.

What I really want is a new season of Work of Art, and it'll never happen.
Cyborguinary Novel?, May 18, 2018, 05:21:50 pm

Can we start a petition?

...other than that, Duck Tales is still gorgeous to look at, Silicon Valley is still a perfect show. Add to that Bob's Burgers, Simpsons and Last Week Tonight and that's the sum total of what I've been watching.
chai tea latte

Wrought

• The Unsevered
  • Paid
TV we've been watching lately #296
Started watching Encounters With Evil, and it's a very serviceable true crime show. I like learning about the different crimes and criminals, but at the same time it doesn't have a whole lot of personality outside of its content. I like the different british people they have on to talk in between the narration. I like the narration itself. I like the interview footage they use. I dunno, I like this show a lot but from an objective standpoint it's kind of..."bland"? Not really bland, but so straightforward that it doesn't really have much room to breathe artistically.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I've watched like 9 episodes of this show but at the same time I can't actually describe why I like it other than that I like learning about true crime stuff. Does anyone else feel this way about shows they like?

Macho Masc Sangy Savage

• Paid
  • 🍕 Pizza Philosopher 🍕
TV we've been watching lately #297
Danger 5 is dumb and silly and it's fucking great. It's kinda like a live action Archer, and what Team America: World Police wished it could have been.

And according to Imgur, the people who made Danger 5 are also responsible for this masterpiece:

lazzer grardaion? Eider Duck GirlKisser420 A Whirring Bone-White Gleech

Eider Duck

• Eats nothing but mussels
  • Paid
  • And has weird corkscrew genitals
TV we've been watching lately #298
Yup, that final gif came from a series of videos called Italian Spiderman. It was a love letter to those 60s European films that ripped off popular properties. The makers were contacted by SBS (an Australian TV network) to make a series, and long story short, the wonderful Danger 5 came about instead. I could watch Hitler go through that same window for hours.

I watched the first few episodes of Westworld and I love it. It looks beautiful and I like the plot

Victor Laszlo

• May my path be lit up by the bridges that I've burned
  • Ridiculist
  • Yay Victor!
TV we've been watching lately #299
I don't know how I feel about the series finale of The Americans.  I know a few things I feel:

I love to death the "I think Renee might be one of us.  I'm not sure" line just tacked onto the end of that scene in the garage.  And I love that the series ends without any resolution in either direction to that particular fan theory.

Otherwise I didn't like the garage scene - it was nice to have a final conversation between Philip and Stan, but it didn't feel true to Stan's character for him to be talked into letting them walk away without immediately setting pursuit upon them.

The show has always been great with its score - music from the particular year/era which underscores the on-screen action - but the two montages (Brothers In Arms and With Or Without You) were perfectly executed - especially the latter, which was clearly all about Henry right up until the fadeout/fadein when it was all about Paige.  Gorgeous.

I found it interesting that Paige returned to Granny's house, but again with being true to characters, Granny cleaned the place out and left vodka?  That is sloppier than Granny was in six entire seasons combined.

The acting was superb, the cinematography was superb, the score was superb.  I considered 3-4 potential endings for the series, and they went with the one I felt least likely, and most disappointing. 

It was really a great show, though.  One of the best non-HBO shows I've ever watched.  You should watch it if you haven't.
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop chai tea latte