Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:51:43 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: The Internet Slowdown is tomorrow (Sept 10th)  (Read 5795 times)

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
The Internet Slowdown is tomorrow (Sept 10th)
Just want you to be aware that tomorrow (the 10th), both ballp.it and thefpl.us will be participating in The Internet Slowdown. Details here.

It's an issue that's super-duper important to me, plus it's an excuse to write weird code, so the site will look a little different when you check in on it tomorrow. If I make something annoying (which is possible), you'll be able to opt out if you're a non-US citizen or you've already written your congressperson.

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
The Internet Slowdown is tomorrow (Sept 10th) #1
Update:

What I just made will be annoying, but it's kind of fun (for a day). But because it doesn't actually affect site navigation, there is no opt-out. Get ready for a slow internet!!!!

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
The Internet Slowdown is tomorrow (Sept 10th) #2
If you don't feel like filling in the BattleForTheNet form (which is fine), you can also complain directly to the FCC. Click on the Proceeding # 14-57 (this direct link may or may not work) and let loose. As I write this, the FCC has received 51,107 complaints in the last 30 days. They could use a lot more.

You can still do this FCC complaint in tandem with the Battle For The Net form. Share your angry vitriol in this thread if you like.

slowdown code will be removed from both sites when I get up tomorrow.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
The Internet Slowdown is tomorrow (Sept 10th) #3
The loading gif combined with the Random Garfield Generator thread provides an excellent simulation of an alternate universe where Web 2.0 and Java applets got developed but we never moved past dial-up for consumer connections.
chai tea latte

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
It's happening again today.

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Slowdown's over.