Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:13:50 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: TV we've been watching lately  (Read 146074 times)

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
TV we've been watching lately #90
Season one, episode four of Nathan For You is the best, most sublime beautiful thing Comedy Central has paid for in the last five years.

Sherlockian

• Library handwriting. Indexing. Abstracting. Alphabetizing. Filing.
  • Paid
  • File under Z695.95 S54
TV we've been watching lately #91
I really enjoy Empire, but it's running up against my hatred of soap opera-style plotlines.

CormansInferno

• Forsooth! A ravenous ghoul approaches!
  • Paid
TV we've been watching lately #92
I got see an advance screening of The Last Man on Earth by Will Forte and Lord & Miller (the LEGO/21 Jump Street guys). Holy shit, I cannot wait for the rest of this series. Probably my favorite post-apocalyptic comedy since Adventure Time. They're so wary about spoiling the rest of the suprises in the season that they decided not to show the third episode. It really works better the less you know going in, but I will say that going forward there needs to be moratorium on Cast Away jokes in pop culture because this one ain't gonna be topped.

Nikaer Drekin

• One-Man Nic Cage Fan Club
  • Paid
  • "My burrito is a big deal"
TV we've been watching lately #93
I've recently fallen in love with The Eric Andre Show.

positive stress

• your favorite cool pizza star
  • Paid
  • beep beep ribby ribby
TV we've been watching lately #94
I'm four episodes into Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and I am loving this a whole lot. It's made by Tina Fey and Robert Carlock and it's got a very 30 Rock feel. Ellie Kemper and Titus Burgess are great, and Jane Krakowski is Jane Krakowski. Highly recommended

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
TV we've been watching lately #95
I'm four episodes into Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and I am loving this a whole lot.
fruithag, March 07, 2015, 04:01:26 pm

I'm not really on board with this one. It's got the pacing and tone of 30 Rock, but the characters and story seem a little thin and uninteresting to me so far, at two episodes in.

If I go back to it, it'll totally be for Jane Krakowski because I think she's terrific and Jenna Maroney was one of my favorite comedy characters ever, so those bits are a return to form, although it feels a tiny bit forced. For the rest, I'm not particularly interested in Kimmy and I feel like it doesn't seem either realistic enough to be a story about a little girl in a big city or fantastical enough to be a story about an escapee from a religious cult and her interactions with lunatics.

Nice to see that Carole Kane is still alive though.

Adam Bozarth

• Your friend on the internet
  • Ridiculist
  • [File Photo]
TV we've been watching lately #96
I know it's not new, but if you get a chance, check out The Knick. It's a medical drama set in 1900 New York City, and it's a fascinating examination of medical history and a eye-opening look at the birth of Modern America. It can get a little hokey, but I love watch Clive Owen as Dr. John Thackeray, a tortured genius and inadvertent butcher. The era it's set is so rich with details. The tightly cuffed society only serves to highlight the barbarism lurking inside of each character, save for a few. It's high drama, full of blood and guts, and the direction is full of surprises. The show is directed and co-created by Steven Soderbergh, and I tend to like his films a lot for the same reasons. There's a lot of inventive direction and a great electronic musical score.

If none of that sounds enticing, then at least watch it for the rat stomping fight in the basement of a saloon.

I really hope other people are enjoying this show, because I really want it to come back.

I also have been watching The Jinx from the beginning, and it is well worth checking out. A really great True Crime documentary series from the director of "Capturing the Friedmans." Only 6 episodes. I usually don't like True Crime all that much because it feels ghoulish, but the thread you follow with Robert Durst is so intriguing, you follow it through every crazy step just to find out what happened. Even as the cases go unsolved, the story reels you in more and more, and it begins to bleed into the present day. Check it out.

I also didn't like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt at all and I don't know who else to tell.

CormansInferno

• Paid
TV we've been watching lately #97
The Jack and Triumph Show makes me thank a god I don't believe in that Robert Smigel is back on television. And that he can get C-grade celebrities to go along with such a brutal level of self-mockery. I hope it runs for 10 seasons (or 20 years, with the production pipeline Adult Swim has for shows).

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
TV we've been watching lately #98
iZombie is an adaptation of the Vertigo comic of the same name and it's pretty solid so far - I'm excited to see what happens as the season progresses. Liv Moore (Rose McIver) is a zombie ME, who works at the Seattle PD morgue, and eats dead people's brains in order to psychically solve their murders. (Think Psych meets Dead Like Me but from the Veronica Mars team and good) She teams up with rookie cop Babineaux to solve crimes, it's a procedural, you know how this works. I haven't read the comic but allegedly it's not very good and the show is startlingly competent and snappy.

When Liv eats brains, she absorbs memories and also facets of the victim's personality - this is really where the show gets to shine / stand out from the pack, and it's all well done so far!

also Sark from Alias shows up as another zombie and he's dreamy and conflicted or whatever

Really_Quite_Nice

• "Do I look like the kind of man who goes to wicked parties?"
  • Paid
  • Every time I've built character, I've regretted it
TV we've been watching lately #99
Hannibal

Overblown in the best possible way. Excellent acting, visually gorgeous, and some wonderful comedic moments.

I love Peep Show to death, it's my favorite comedy; I prefer it to Black Mirror. That sentence was not repetitive.

Bob's Burgers is one of the friendliest, most optimistic shows I've ever seen. The voice acting and character development are phenomenal.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 09:32:59 pm by Really_Quite_Nice »

CormansInferno

• Paid
TV we've been watching lately #100
Not to go all brony here, but 70s' anime and 90s' lo-fi indie movies had a baby and called it Steven Universe. I liked their first batch of episodes, but they seem to have really hit their stride in balancing character development, vignettes about day-to-day life, and sci-fi space opera by the end of Season One.

And I don't know if there's any fans here, but there's a new Netflix season of Trailer Park Boys. I thought it started losing a little steam towards the end because they were focusing so much on setting things up for the next two seasons, but the end to the Colonel Dancer storyline was fantastic, as well as Lahey swimming with the Julian dummy in the blueberry vodka hot tub.

cyclopeantrash

• Aspergers Unto Death
  • Paid
  • High velocity man-hatred fired at everything
TV we've been watching lately #101
Not to go all brony here, but 70s' anime and 90s' lo-fi indie movies had a baby and called it Steven Universe. I liked their first batch of episodes, but they seem to have really hit their stride in balancing character development, vignettes about day-to-day life, and sci-fi space opera by the end of Season One.
CormansInferno, April 06, 2015, 08:18:41 pm

Steven Universe is great and might also be the gayest children's cartoon allowed on American television. Non-ambiguous inclusiveness is pretty great, yo.

Mister Smalls

• Steampunk Evita original cast member
  • Paid
TV we've been watching lately #102
I have sobbed openly at a children's cartoon three times in my life and all of those times were related to Steven Universe

Tiny Prancer

• Tiny and angry
  • Paid
  • please be more respectable to physics
TV we've been watching lately #103
So a friend of mine is a huge fan of Moral Orel and talked me into watching all three seasons with her, and god dang what a series. In case you don't know about it, it's a stop-motion comedy series about a twelve-year-old boy who lives in an extremely religious community and has a tendency to wind up in utterly ridiculous situations because of his naiivity, but it's also a series that gets its humor and timing down like clockwork in the second season and then starting from the end of the second season goes to some incredible places in terms of character depth and storytelling and tells both some intensely dark and incredibly tender stories in its final season. The first season and the start of the second honestly feel like they rely on gross shock humor way too much, but it's a series absolutely worth watching for where it goes in the end. My friend made this comparison (and I agree with her) that the only show she's seen that compares in terms of the intense tonal shift is Evangelion, especially since both series have creators who went through some serious life issues as the series went on that really obviously contributed to how the latter half of the show developed.

Also, the stop-motion animation gets really good in the latter part of the series. Like, looking back on it, I legit forgot they were puppets at certain points.

(also, if you decide to look into it, skip the episodes "god's chef" and "god's image" because those are probably the worst/grossest ones and have very little importance to the overall story, although they do get referred back to a few times in the series. Just read the wikipedia synopsis for those ones.)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 02:05:50 am by Tiny Prancer »

Fanzay

• Failson Prime
  • Paid
  • Turned on is the wrong word
TV we've been watching lately #104
How come nobody told me 30 Rock was this funny?