Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:41:19 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Art Films and other pretentious Delights  (Read 14452 times)

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
  • My cat? Let me tell you about my cat...
Art Films and other pretentious Delights #15
I've found this website: http://366weirdmovies.com/ to be a pretty good resource for finding obscure, weird, arty movies. I've seen a lot of the movies on the list, but it's fun to read the reviews and watch the shorts.

eldritchhat

• Lady of Calamaris
  • Paid
  • Card Carrying Boobgeoisie
Art Films and other pretentious Delights #16
I've found this website: http://366weirdmovies.com/ to be a pretty good resource for finding obscure, weird, arty movies. I've seen a lot of the movies on the list, but it's fun to read the reviews and watch the shorts.
NutshellGulag, January 20, 2016, 07:53:16 pm
Thanks Nutshell, I've added that to my bookmarks, and as a thank you I will provide a link as well: http://www.ubu.com/film/
If you've never heard of UbuWeb, it's an online resource for various avant-garde art and artists, and outside of film, they have contemporary writing, poetry, and avant-garde accordian music. I believe the site was made by the guy who came up with the whole uncreative writing thing, and its short collection is pretty impressive.

Also, Don Hertzfeldt update: World of Tomorrow just went up on Netflix today, so I'm watching the hell out of that.

CormansInferno

• Forsooth! A ravenous ghoul approaches!
  • Paid
Art Films and other pretentious Delights #17
The next art weirdo on my list to recommend is Nobuhiko Obayashi. He's primarily known in America for his psychedelic haunted house freakout (and Criterion-approved classic) Hausu, but Obayashi's career stretches back to the 50s. Hausu was Obayashi's first feature, but he'd started out making experimental art films in college and became a Ridley Scott-level prolific TV commercial director to continue funding experiemental shorts. Obayashi was such a rabid fan of Hollywood movies that he did something almost unheard of: he flew to Hollywood on his own dime and started entering his shorts in local film festivals. While in Los Angeles, he became lifelong friends with Charles Bronson. Bronson was not yet the gigantic megastar he would become, but he was an extremely recognizable face in American movies. So when Bronson needed some cash, Obayashi suggested he shoot some ads in Japan to capitalize on the country's obsession with Hollywood actors. And thus started the long and storied tradition of American celebrities starring in Japanese commercials for some side cash. So if you've ever enjoyed Arnold Schwarzenegger screaming and firing lighting bolts from his eyes to promote a Japanese energy drink, you have Obayashi and Bronson to thank.

After toiling in the advertising salt mines for twoish decades, Toho finally gave Obayashi the funding for Hausu. The movie's plot was based on a story Obayashi's 7-year-old daughter had written after a terrible nightmare, and also included allusions to then-current urban legends about people lurking deep in the Japanese countryside who had resorted to cannibalism when the Japanese countryside was in full-on Grave of the Fireflies time. A group of schoolgirls encouter a witch in a creaky old house, psychedelic supernatural horror ensues. To make the setting more bizarre and otherworldly, Obayashi declined to use Toho's famed effects department and instead hired fellow experimental video artists from the circuit he'd been touring for the past 2 decades. While Hausu is Obayashi's crowning achievement, his other work also plays with avant garde film techniques (albeit not  to the same degree as Hausu), where the central character is usually a teenage girl in a coming-of-age story.

Not a valid vimeo URL

Obayashi also helmed a very, very loose adaptation of the seminal horror manga The Drifting Classroom. What it lacks in faithfulness in to the source material, it makes up for gonzo wackiness. A classroom of "International students" (whose ages range from 6-35) are forced to survive after being transported to the Japan of the far future, a desert wasteland populated by giant maneating lobster-cockroaches.

Not a valid vimeo URL

Though he's 93 years old, Obayashi is still cranking out movies. And thankfully, they're still pretty great. Last year, he released Seven Weeks, one of his most complex and nuanced films yet. Using the framework of a family coming together to remember the death of a 93-year-old relative, it explores the whole of 20th Century Japan's history, with some biting commentary thrown in about wartime atrocities and the government's ties to the nuclear industry (I missed seeing Casting Blossoms to the Sky, the mid-century period piece he released in 2013 that was apparently even more critical of nuclear power). I'm sure I missed a lot of cultural context, but the sound and editing is intentionally designed to overwhelm the viewer, drown them in the vast tides of 100 years' worth of history.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 04:42:07 pm by CormansInferno »

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
Art Films and other pretentious Delights #18
The next art weirdo on my list to recommend is Nobuhiko Obayashi. He's primarily known in America for his psychedelic haunted house freakout (and Criterion-approved classic) Hausu, but Obayashi's career stretches back to the 50s. Hausu was Obayashi's first feature, but he'd started out making experimental art films in college and became a Ridley Scott-level prolific TV commercial director to continue funding experiemental shorts. Obayashi was such a rabid fan of Hollywood movies that he did something almost unheard of: he flew to Hollywood on his own dime and started entering his shorts in local film festivals. While in Los Angeles, he became lifelong friends with Charles Bronson. Bronson was not yet the gigantic megastar he would become, but he was an extremely recognizable face in American movies. So when Bronson needed some cash, Obayashi suggested he shoot some ads in Japan to capitalize on the country's obsession with Hollywood actors. And thus started the long and storied tradition of American celebrities starring in Japanese commercials for some side cash. So if you've ever enjoyed Arnold Schwarzenegger screaming and firing lighting bolts from his eyes to promote a Japanese energy drink, you have Obayashi and Bronson to thank.

After toiling in the advertising salt mines for twoish decades, Toho finally gave Obayashi the funding for Hausu. The movie's plot was based on a story Obayashi's 7-year-old daughter had written after a terrible nightmare, and also included allusions to then-current urban legends about people lurking deep in the Japanese countryside who had resorted to cannibalism when the Japanese countryside was in full-on Grave of the Fireflies time. A group of schoolgirls encouter a witch in a creaky old house, psychedelic supernatural horror ensues. To make the setting more bizarre and otherworldly, Obayashi declined to use Toho's famed effects department and instead hired fellow experimental video artists from the circuit he'd been touring for the past 2 decades. While Hausu is Obayashi's crowning achievement, his other work also plays with avant garde film techniques (albeit not  to the same degree as Hausu), where the central character is usually a teenage girl in a coming-of-age story.

Not a valid vimeo URL

Obayashi also helmed a very, very loose adaptation of the seminal horror manga The Drifting Classroom. What it lacks in faithfulness in to the source material, it makes up for gonzo wackiness. A classroom of "International students" (whose ages range from 6-35) are forced to survive after being transported to the Japan of the far future, a desert wasteland populated by giant maneating lobster-cockroaches.

Not a valid vimeo URL

Though he's 93 years old, Obayashi is still cranking out movies. And thankfully, they're still pretty great. Last year, he released Seven Weeks, one of his most complex and nuanced films yet. Using the framework of a family coming together to remember the death of a 93-year-old relative, it explores the whole of 20th Century Japan's history, with some biting commentary thrown in about wartime atrocities and the government's ties to the nuclear industry (I missed seeing Casting Blossoms to the Sky, the mid-century period piece he released in 2013 that was apparently even more critical of nuclear power). I'm sure I missed a lot of cultural context, but the sound and editing is intentionally designed to overwhelm the viewer, drown them in the vast tides of 100 years' worth of history.

CormansInferno, January 21, 2016, 04:40:19 pm

Damn, I love hausu, and I haven't seen like any of these. Thanks a million man.

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
Art Films and other pretentious Delights #19
Well, if we're going to veer off into good, slightly odd Japanese directors, I'd like to put forward my favorite: Juzo Itami. He made one of my favorite movies, Tampopo, as well as Minbo, A Taxing Woman, and A Taxing Woman's return. They're all very good. Tampopo is the closest to being "arty"; the others have a lot of scathing  criticism of the Japanese government and yakuza as they were at the time he filmed them. His wife, Nobuko Miyamoto, stars in all of them and is a wonderful actress. WATCH THEM.

CormansInferno

• Paid
Art Films and other pretentious Delights #20
[Holy shit, this one turned out LONG. But believe me, this guy deserves it]

So it's a real crime that the next weirdo artuer I'm going to mention isn't mentioned alongside other Eastern European arthouse giants that were his contemporaries, but there are a lot of reasons Andrzej Zulawski was a largely overlooked director until recently. If you know Zulawski for anything, it's probably Possession, his only English language movie, a social/body horror/psychosexual nightmare where Sam Neill crashes a motorcycle into the Berlin Wall and Isabelle Adjiani fucks a Carlos Rimbaldi-designed monster (which, by the way, he created the same year as ET). While all his movies are completely bizarro and worth a look (if you can find them), his 1st 6 features are absolute masterpieces. Zulawski manages to push his actors to a more extreme place than most cinema is willing to go, and the emotional intesity that radiates off the screen as a result of that strikes the viewer like lighting and leaves an indelible mark on the psyche (no trailer sharing this time, because each Zulawski movie has things that would be very hard to explain away at the average workplace).

He started off with The Third Part of the Night, a dreamlike, gruesome noir set in a WWII-era Warsaw ghetto and based on his Father's experiences as a Jew in Nazi Poland. After his family is callously executed by SS officers, a man becomes obssessed with a young mother who's her exact double (played by the same actress); an obsession that sets him on a path to becoming a medical guinea pig infected with diseased fleas and, ultimately, his own doom. Third Part garnered so much international praise that his 2nd feature was immediately approved  - The Devil.

The Devil is very, very hard to find, and with good reason. Zulawski had been part of an anti-communist journalism organization that was destroyed by spies from the Polish Government posing as sympathizers and spreading divisive, paranoid rumors to the other members. Zulawski was so incensed at the government's actions that he decided to take the money they'd gave him and make a giant middle finger in movie form. While Devil is obstensibly a fairytale like period piece, it's subtextually a scalding inditement of Communist spycraft tactics. A young nobleman is sprung from jail in 17th Century Poland to find that his father is dead, his sister has married his most despised enemy to survive, and his onetime fiancee is preganant with his best friend's child. From there he descends into violent madness (descents into madness are a big part of the Zulawski aesthetic), spurred on by a demonic figure whose methods just happen to resemble the Polish government's anti-journalism tactics. For example, the Devil hands him a knife, saying that he should never use it, but by all means if he were in the same position he would TOTALLY UNDERSTAND using it to kill everyone that wronged him, not that he should, but it would be TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE.

After Zulawski turned in the final cut of the film, the Polish censor board was less than impressed. They informed him he and his wife, Polish ingenue Malagorzata Braunek (the lead actrsss in most of Zulawski's early work), had 48 hours to leave the country or they would be jailed, and Devil wasn't released until a decade later. Zulawski and Braunek landed in France and made L'important c'est d'aimer, a heartwreching drama about love triangles and theater troupes that starred Braunek and Klaus Kinski. Hailed as a masterpiece on the European arthouse circuit, it made Poland reconsider Zulawski's exile.

To lure him back, the Polish government not only promised to make he and his wife full citizens again, they promised to fund any script he came up with next. He came up with what, at the time, was the most expensive movie Poland had ever funded. On The Silver Globe was to be a centuries-spanning sci-fi epic based on a novel written by Zulawski's grandfather. The plot is dense, surreal, and impossible to sumamrize, even moreso because it was never officially finished. 3/4ths of the way through production, government censors realized Zulawski was making yet another anti-Communist movie. They ordered all the negatives, sets, and costumes to be burned and exiled Zulawski and Braunek permanently. 10 years later, Zulawski revealed over the past decade his crew on the film had been smuggling him as much complete footage as they could from Poland to France. Zulawski fills in the gaps by walking around the streets of Paris with a camera and narrating what the viewer would've seen in the finished movie. It ends with with Zulawski filimng himself in a department store window, outlining what would've been the final scene and giving an acidic thanks to the Polish government for creating the cut of the movie he's just shown.

Both getting kicked out of Poland and having her career destroyed for the 2nd time was where Braunek understandably reached a breaking point, and she and Zulawski had a nasty divorce. Zulawski channeled that misery into Possession, which despite all the supernatural (and otherwise) horror is at its core a story about a guy who just does not want to accept that his wife wants to be in love with a better person than him ("Can't you see I despise you?!" Adjiani snarls when Neill grabs ahold of her to keep her from leaving). The first half is tense emotional drama (where half the dialogue was taken from direct transcripts of phone conversations between Zulawski and his wife), but it slowly mutates into metaphorical apocalyptic body horror that would do John Carpenter or David Cronenberg proud.

Having emerged from the dark night of the soul, Zulawski decided to take the piss out of himself and made La Femme Publique, a metatextual satire on himself that features an actress having to contend with a obsessive, sociopathic Polish arthouse director who may actually be a serial murderer. While it definitely works on its own, watching it with the context of the 5 previous movies makes the jokes way funnier (as the director bemons his recent divorce, his producer snorts "Of course she left you! You got her kicked out of her home country and destroyed her career - twice!").

TLDR; All of Zulawski's movies are worth a look, but the first half-dozen are the high watermark of his career.
eldritchhat Ashto

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
Art Films and other pretentious Delights #21
Awesome. I really like Possession, and now my lazy ass doesn't have to look up what else he's done. Thanks!

eldritchhat

• Lady of Calamaris
  • Paid
Art Films and other pretentious Delights #22
Seriously Cormansinferno, you are the rock star of this thread.

I guess I'll make another contribution. I've heard a lot of good things about this director, Roy Andersson, but I known I loved his last film A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence.

Its a film of beautiful mise en scene, with complex long shots from a single angle, which you know makes it good. Its more of a series of short plays that explore the surrealism and absurdity of our daily lives through different existential concepts. I believe this is part of a series, but I know its on Netflix, so I encourage you to enjoy it.

Nifty Nif

• Big Dumb Slimy Monster
  • Paid
  • powerful and can be dangreous
Art Films and other pretentious Delights #23
If you ever get the chance to watch Melancholia- don't!
There's a thin line between artsy, pretentious and just plain bad - and this film is so beyond this line it's figuratively torture to watch.
Ambious, January 20, 2016, 04:06:04 am

I actually quite liked the film, but I can understand why someone might not.
If you don't mind, Ambious, could you please tell us why it was so deplorable?
eldritchhat, January 20, 2016, 04:14:51 am

It could just be me - or perhaps I had a bad viewing experience - but I just couldn't follow it.
I understand it's meant to be a metaphor, but it went too far in that I couldn't pinpoint actual plot points and it was just too slow and inconsistent to process which in turn made it boring and long as hell.
Again - the 'art' behind the film may be good, but I was so unable to actually even remotely connect to anything I wasn't even able to try and appreciate anything else.
Ambious, January 20, 2016, 04:41:15 am

I get that. Even though I like the film, it does feel somewhat meandering, in the second part at least.
However, what may be a detractor for you, that being that it was basically just the filmmaker wallowing in his own depression, was what made the movie for me. I have a history of depression, and I believe that Kirsten Dunst's performance alone gives me great incentive to watch, and allows me to personally identify with her.
Ultimately, the movie was about the relationship between the two sisters, which can be great if you have a personal investment in both those characters, but if either falls flat for you, then the movie just kinda falls apart.
eldritchhat, January 20, 2016, 05:11:05 am
Reviving this thread because I like art films and I like talking about von Trier!
I actually loved Melancholia, and I have very little patience for slow films.  I think it resonated with me in particular because, as mentioned, the movie is certainly entrenched in the filmmaker's depression.  It's Kirsten Dunst's most captivating performance, in my opinion.  There's also a lot to be said about the extended comparison with the music of Tristan und Isolde playing throughout, but maybe someone who knows more about the opera and Wagner can speak more to that.

I'm interested in hearing what people think about misogynist themes in Antichrist and Melancholia.  A lot of people I know who are interested in some subset of cinema and social justice dismiss von Trier outright as a "raging misogynist" without providing much explanation.  I need to rewatch both films to properly weigh in, but I'd like to hear what people think.

I'm loving all of the recommendations in this thread.  I haven't sat down and watched a movie in ages, and this is inspiring me.  I'll throw in my rather ordinary recommendations too.

I studied French cinema in college and got pretty into the Nouvelle Vague.  My favorites from the era are the popular Les 400 coups (The 400 Blows, Truffaut, 1959) and A bout de souffle (Breathless, Godard, 1960).  It was a really happening time for new directors, especially former film critics with new ideas and artistic sensibilities.  Both of my faves really defined and began the era with their dramatic cinematography and were both directors' film debuts.  The 400 Blows is a heartbreaking coming-of-age story, and Breathless is a charming, crime-filled romp through Paris.  They're both pretty short and definitely worth a watch.  I've seen quite a few of Godard's other films, but I think Breathless is his best.  Don't bother watching any of his past Tout va bien, and even that one's not that great.

Yay, French films!  I can talk more about this if anyone's interested.

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
Art Films and other pretentious Delights #24
I certainly haven't read any essays on it or anything, but Antichrist seems to operate on a pretty authentic sense of hatred for every member of its cast. I did like it though, so I might be biased

eldritchhat

• Lady of Calamaris
  • Paid
Art Films and other pretentious Delights #25
I take the same approach to Lars Von Trier and Antichrist as Zizek does with Heidegger and Nazism, and considering the quote at the top, that's pretty appropriate. A lot of Trier's films carry the theme of inherent evil of nature, as opposed to the typical assumption of nature as something naturally good, instinctive, and from which humanity deviated. Antichrist is the ultimate version of this theme, seeing as William Defoe's plan was to return Charlotte Gainsbourg to nature to cure her of her depression, and he ultimately lead her to insanity. There is definitely a misogynistic aspect to the film, and I doubt old Lars is a feminist, but you also have to consider that the entire film is taken from the perspective of William Defoe's character, which is actually pretty strange. The majority of Lars Von Trier's films tend to be from the perspective of women, yet this one which is, ostensibly, about the nature of women, is from the perspective of the man. I mean, William is the only one who sees those fucking creepy animals, and he is the one who has all the control over his wife until she goes on the last rampage. In a certain sense, William was doing the same thing as Charlotte, through these satanic aspects he tries to justify the murder of his wife by making himself a victim, while she tried to rectify her guilt by taking her own agency away, obfuscating her perspective as to see herself as naturally evil. Really, what Lars Von Trier is trying to say, in my opinion, is that nature itself is a neurotic concept that clouds the fact of our own terrible agency and purposelessness in the universe, that babies can die because of our carnal desire, and that we can still be human when that happens.

However, Trier went about in a way that was pretty fucking obtuse, and he was obviously aware that he'd piss people off considering his taste in humor, so I imagine he could of gone about it in more considerate fashion. That said, I enjoyed the movie (as much as one can enjoy a movie such as this) and like Lars Von Trier's films a lot, so I'm biased as well. Either way, sorry if I went into a monster cockysis.
Nifty Nif Maxine Headroom chai tea latte
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 03:53:21 pm by eldritchhat »

CormansInferno

• Paid
Art Films and other pretentious Delights #26
Sad news, folks. Zulawski died this week. But he has one more film (which he directed last year) coming, and one of the awesomest things is that the retrospectives that LA's Cinefamily  (where I was introduced to his work) and NYC's BAM Cinematek both arranged in 2011 were what inspired him to pick up the camera for what was ultimately the last time.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 05:53:29 pm by CormansInferno »

Cheapskate

• Persnickety fussbudget
  • Paid
Art Films and other pretentious Delights #27
Guy Maddin’s filmmaking career was inspired by silent film, and it shows. Here’s “Send Me to the ‘Lectric Chair,” a sort of mad science ballet. My best guess is that it’s about addiction, but I don’t have the heart of an artist so I could be wrong.

On the other hand, I’m entirely sure that Theodore Ushev’s “Tower Bawher” is about Communism, and it’s awfully thrilling for a film that has no actual plot.

Captain Nobeard

• Paid
Art Films and other pretentious Delights #28
Lately I've been studying European Portuguese, and so as a result I've been watching a lot of movies from Portugal. In general, Portuguese films are very arty and sometimes pretentious, but not necessarily un-watchable.

I saw Pedro Costa's film "O Sangue" from 1989 recently, and I left a very big impression. The black and white cinematography has a dream-like element that I've never seen in any other film before. This movie is a personal recommendation of mine.

eldritchhat

Nikaer Drekin

• One-Man Nic Cage Fan Club
  • Paid
  • "My burrito is a big deal"
Art Films and other pretentious Delights #29
Koyaanisqatsi is wonderful. It's an art documentary with gorgeous cinematography set to haunting, powerful music by Philip Glass. It's hands-down one of my favorite movies ever and I can't recommend it enough!