Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:46:25 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Movies We've Seen Recently  (Read 206857 times)

Mathrandir

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #540
The Man from Earth: Way more interesting than a 90 minute conversation has any right to be.

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
Movies We've Seen Recently #541
Rewatched Prince of Darkness cause it's that time of year y'know, still a really good movie with some real cool practical effects, only suffers slightly from being proceeded by The Thing
NutshellGulag

Dr. Buttplug

• Formerly Jackal Flapnasty
  • Paid
  • Legendary Jizz-Wailer
Movies We've Seen Recently #542
Watched The Witch or The VVitch. Kind of liked the style and atmosphere but did anyone else get a skeezy sexist feel from this flick? Like the core theme seems to be that you should fear female sexuality and liberation. I don't know if it's just me.

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #543
Watched The Witch or The VVitch. Kind of liked the style and atmosphere but did anyone else get a skeezy sexist feel from this flick? Like the core theme seems to be that you should fear female sexuality and liberation. I don't know if it's just me.
Jackal Flapnasty, October 28, 2018, 10:57:02 pm
To be fair it's very clearly based on what the Protestant settlers at the time found terrifying, and well...
Shell Game

Dr. Buttplug

• Formerly Jackal Flapnasty
  • Paid
  • Legendary Jizz-Wailer
Movies We've Seen Recently #544
Jackal Flapnasty, October 28, 2018, 10:57:02 pm
To be fair it's very clearly based on what the Protestant settlers at the time found terrifying, and well...
AgentCoop, October 29, 2018, 09:53:16 am
Sure but Protestant settlers at the time found shadow puppets frightening so...

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Movies We've Seen Recently #545
Ghostwatch: a 1992 BBC special program about ghosts and ghost hunting. Surprisingly well done for reasons I don't want to spoil. Surely going to become a Halloween classic for me and mine.

The Most Unknown: I didn't watch this because I thought it looked bad. I was extremely mistaken! Nine scientists, all working at the boundaries of human knowledge, are introduced to each other in beautiful, contrived settings, to discuss their research. I learned some things that don't feel useless to know! It all felt and looked very Werner Herzog, and he in fact did consult on the movie. If you're looking for something in the 80-90 minutes range, watch this. I guess VICE paid for it? It doesn't really feel like them.

Lawrence of Arabia: This was my fourth or fifth watch - I forget - of Lawrence, which is my favourite movie. I got to share it with some friends who enjoyed it, I think. The movie remains a cinematic masterpiece - two stories about the life of one extraordinary man, neither of which can be told without the other. The dialogue is masterful - even when it's elaborate and figurative, there are no wasted words. Peter O'Toole delivers, as Lawrence, one of the most powerful film performances of the 20th century. It hurts a little to spend so much time watching one movie, but the trick is not minding it.

the original Halloween: what is there to say? John Carpenter's minimal synth score elevates a good slasher movie into one of the best ever. It's one of the cheapest-made best movies in the horror canon, and one of the best in general.

The Farthest: Voyager in Space: a beautiful and inspiring Irish documentary about the Voyager probes, the images they captured, and the meaning of this cosmic act for humanity. It pushed all the right buttons for me. Very beautiful, recommend.

Shirkers: I think this is the best movie I've seen all year. It's the Netflix exclusive documentary about a movie (also) called Shirkers, an avant-garde triumph of Singaporean cinema from 1992 that was, infamously, stolen. More than 20 years after it was made, the footage has been recovered, and the original director used it and some interviews to make a documentary about the movie and the surprising story of who took it.

The film itself is a real draw imo - it looks really really good. So too were the incredibly talented filmmakers - a group of three 18 and 19 teen girls, who were going to NYU and UCS. I think I have the timeline right; they were at the cutting edge of basically everything going on in movies at the time, but nobody ever saw it. They filmed on super 8 in 1992, it's a road movie that looks REAL good, and the colours are phenomenal. I really really liked this.
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop NutshellGulag

Shell Game

• Fearless: The Fiscal Year of Shadow
  • Paid
  • Rex Morgan knows about Pretty Cure. Look it up.
Movies We've Seen Recently #546
Ghostwatch was really good.

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #547
Man First Reformed is absolutely incredible and kinda hits a nice mix between Taxi Driver and Winter's Light

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #548
Man First Reformed is absolutely incredible and kinda hits a nice mix between Taxi Driver and Winter's Light
AgentCoop, November 07, 2018, 09:57:55 pm
the more I thought about it later the more I liked it. Ethan Hawke so good

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #549
AgentCoop, November 07, 2018, 09:57:55 pm
the more I thought about it later the more I liked it. Ethan Hawke so good
chai tea latte, November 08, 2018, 08:56:26 pm
I've been like flippin it around in my head since yesterday, I honestly might watch it again this weekend

Turtle

• [F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+]
  • Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #550
I just rewatched Anomalisa for the first time since I initially saw it during its short theater run and I only like it more. I think it may be my favorite movie.
chai tea latte

Pigeon Pal

• Paid
  • i only dream of crime and ruin
Movies We've Seen Recently #551
I forced my roommates to watch The Princess Bride the other day. It was good and also the best movie. My roommates still like me as far as I know.
chai tea latte

chai tea latte

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #552
The American Meme (Netflix 2018): this movie is terrible. it stars a woman who's literally dee from its always sunny being racist on Vine and 'the fat jew' who claims that he's "the best at joke theft in the world". it's bad, but it's also a deeper dive into the lives of people who don't quite understand why their lives are so empty.

paris hilton comes across as the most complete and coherent person in the movie. at one point she says "I have been 21 for two decades. It's just part of an image and a brand and being a product. It's like Groundhog Day. Everything I do is just ... the same shit, different day.
[...]
Cause it's just bullshit. It's not real. It's not real life at all."

Four stars, and if you like the F+ you should watch it

Macho Masc Sangy Savage

• Beep Beep Imma Dwarf Jeep
  • Paid
  • 🍕 Pizza Philosopher 🍕
Movies We've Seen Recently #553
It's Christmas, so it's time to watch my favorite holiday movie, Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather.

GirlKisser420

beelzeboob

• Risen from the tits of hell.
  • Paid
  • call that the boobonic plague
Movies We've Seen Recently #554
Saw the new animated Spiderman movie. It's visually stunning, absolutely beautiful, and the characters are all really enjoyable to watch. It didn't feel overcrowded which was a nice surprise. I really can't say enough about the animation tho. How they managed to tie everything together is beyond me but it was so amazing, and I was awestruck the entire time. Lots of integration of classic comic book style and whatnot, little sound effect words that pop up with actions... so cute. 10/10 genuinely the only superhero movie I not only enjoyed but actually think is GOOD and would recommend to anybody.