Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:04:55 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: I have no mouth and I must scream...  (Read 18403 times)

TheCrawlingChaos

• IWASWONDERINGIFTHEREWEREANYSTORIESWHEREJENSENISACATPERSONANDJAREDISADOGPERSONANDSOMEHOWTHISISACOMPLICATIONINTHEIRRELATIONSHIP?!?
  • Paid
  • Messenger of the Outer Gods
I have no mouth and I must scream...
Well, actually my mouth is fine, I just managed to absolutely kill my voice last night. I've had a cold for about a week but was feeling sufficiently better to meet up with my RPG group yesterday. The only problem was that apparently my voice wasn't quite as recovered as I thought it was and as part of the game I ended up doing a lot of yelling, as well as singing along to the soundtrack from Les Miserable which the GM kept playing. As a result, any utterances I can bring myself to make above a whisper a) hurt like a bastard (Joffery Baratheon, specifically) and b) make me sound like a combination of a pubescent boy and an asphyxiating cat.

There is no real point to this thread, I just felt like whining as well as expressing myself in a way that doesn't involve the use of vocal cords. Any of you guys been similarly laid up recently?

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
I have no mouth and I must scream... #1
I usually don't lose my voice when sick, I just pretend to so as not having to answer stupid questions when my throat hurts.

My recommendation, some hot blackcurrant juice with a spoonful of honey of a sweetener. That's what we drink in my family every time one of us has a cold.

TheCrawlingChaos

• IWASWONDERINGIFTHEREWEREANYSTORIESWHEREJENSENISACATPERSONANDJAREDISADOGPERSONANDSOMEHOWTHISISACOMPLICATIONINTHEIRRELATIONSHIP?!?
  • Paid
I have no mouth and I must scream... #2
I usually don't lose my voice when sick, I just pretend to so as not having to answer stupid questions when my throat hurts.

My recommendation, some hot blackcurrant juice with a spoonful of honey of a sweetener. That's what we drink in my family every time one of us has a cold.
montrith, March 10, 2013, 04:03:28 pm

I rarely ever do either. This is the first time in a while that I've actually been rendered unable to speak by a sore throat. I'll definitely try blackcurrant juice like you say, though until stores are open again I may have to settle for the half a bottle of Famous Grouse downstairs.

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
I have no mouth and I must scream... #3
Tea with lemon and ginger is also fantastic. Tisane if you have it, if not just make a traditional ginger tea and add lemon - fantastic throat remedy. The bizarre Chinese magic molasses known as nin jiom pei pa koa (or just 'nin jiom') is like absolute magic, and apparently used frequently by people in theatre for throat issues. The package looks like this, and ought to be available at even white-people drug stores.

Psammetichus

• ᕕ(⊙ω⊙)ᕗ
  • Paid
  • O damn'd Sonic! O inhuman hog!
I have no mouth and I must scream... #4
as well as singing along to the soundtrack from Les MiserableTheCrawlingChaos, March 10, 2013, 02:28:56 pm

I know exactly what you mean. In the past month, I've caught myself signing or humming "One Day More" or "Do You Hear the People Sing?" or "Red and Black" literally dozens of times.

So many great songs.

Acierocolotl

• Romance Supremacist
  • Ridiculist
  • You will be romanticized
I have no mouth and I must scream... #5
I've not been laid up in some time.  However, if I have a non-cooperating throat, irish cream is my usual go-to cough syrup.  It soothes the throat (assuming you enjoy the taste of likker) and after you've had enough you get just a smidge tipsy and don't care about the coughing anymore either.

Though I did make an audio recording of the entirety of "Touched by Venom" as personal physiotherapy as I was recovering from pneumonia.  It sounds like shit, but the novel is shit so those two tastes go great together.  Actually, I meant poorly.

TheCrawlingChaos

• Paid
I have no mouth and I must scream... #6
as well as singing along to the soundtrack from Les MiserableTheCrawlingChaos, March 10, 2013, 02:28:56 pm

I know exactly what you mean. In the past month, I've caught myself signing or humming "One Day More" or "Do You Hear the People Sing?" or "Red and Black" literally dozens of times.

So many great songs.
Psammetichus, March 10, 2013, 10:27:09 pm

IKR? One of my friends is currently in a local production of it as Thenardier, so we keep having a lot of impromptu renditions of "Master of the House," too. :D

Though I did make an audio recording of the entirety of "Touched by Venom" as personal physiotherapy as I was recovering from pneumonia.  It sounds like shit, but the novel is shit so those two tastes go great together.  Actually, I meant poorly.Acierocolotl, March 10, 2013, 10:52:00 pm

OH MY GOD IS THIS AVAILABLE ANYWHERE FOR PUBLIC CONSUMPTION? One of my favorite snarkers in the world reading one of the acknowledged worst books of the past couple decades sounds like freaking heaven, audio quality be damned.

Acierocolotl

• Romance Supremacist
  • Ridiculist
I have no mouth and I must scream... #7
Though I did make an audio recording of the entirety of "Touched by Venom" as personal physiotherapy as I was recovering from pneumonia.  It sounds like shit, but the novel is shit so those two tastes go great together.  Actually, I meant poorly.Acierocolotl, March 10, 2013, 10:52:00 pm

OH MY GOD IS THIS AVAILABLE ANYWHERE FOR PUBLIC CONSUMPTION? One of my favorite snarkers in the world reading one of the acknowledged worst books of the past couple decades sounds like freaking heaven, audio quality be damned.
TheCrawlingChaos, March 11, 2013, 04:16:05 am
Yes.

Seriously, it's SHIT.  You should read my Frequently Offered Excuses first, because I'm actually a bit self-conscious about it (but not so much that I didn't upload all the files anyway and then went and posted the URL on a public board).

You got that out of the way?  Go nuts.  This will never appear on my radio show's website, and if I get even the slightest whiff of a DMC or whatever I am so yanking it, so don't go spreading it around too much.

As an added bonus, there's a file in there with Bunnybread singing.  It can salve your ears after that awful novel and the awful reading.

TheCrawlingChaos

• Paid
I have no mouth and I must scream... #8

TheCrawlingChaos, March 11, 2013, 04:16:05 am
Yes.

Seriously, it's SHIT.  You should read my Frequently Offered Excuses first, because I'm actually a bit self-conscious about it (but not so much that I didn't upload all the files anyway and then went and posted the URL on a public board).

You got that out of the way?  Go nuts.  This will never appear on my radio show's website, and if I get even the slightest whiff of a DMC or whatever I am so yanking it, so don't go spreading it around too much.

As an added bonus, there's a file in there with Bunnybread singing.  It can salve your ears after that awful novel and the awful reading.Acierocolotl, March 11, 2013, 04:31:54 am

My lips are sealed. And believe me, I've been exposed to a whole lot of subpar audio recordings lately (the single downside of using public domain books on tape for uni reading) so one more can hardly hurt.

TheCrawlingChaos

• Paid
I have no mouth and I must scream... #9
Oh my god. This book is so bad.

Acierocolotl

• Romance Supremacist
  • Ridiculist
I have no mouth and I must scream... #10
TheCrawlingChaos, March 11, 2013, 09:38:46 am

No no no, no no.  I believe you meant to say, "oh my god, this book is so bad, hey-o!"

TheCrawlingChaos

• Paid
I have no mouth and I must scream... #11
TheCrawlingChaos, March 11, 2013, 09:38:46 am

No no no, no no.  I believe you meant to say, "oh my god, this book is so bad, hey-o!"
Acierocolotl, March 11, 2013, 09:59:56 am
Jesus Christ. I swear I'm getting whiplash every time it really starts working up the gloom and doom momentum and then suddenly someone hauls off with "hey-o." Janine Cross just has no ear for consistent tone. Or onomotopoeia. Or dialogue that doesn't sound completely idiotic, really.

Must start a thread  for it in the dedicated book forum when I'm done here...

fluffy

• Paid
  • free hugs
I have no mouth and I must scream... #12
I am a big fan of licorice tea (Stash and Yogi are both good) for throat problems, although that presupposes not hating licorice.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
I have no mouth and I must scream... #13
What is the rate of licorice hating? I hate licorice and just about everyone I know hates licorice but there are tons of people everywhere who swear up and down that they love it.

Geremy Tibbles

• Liquor Dragon
  • Paid
  • DIS GENERATION
I have no mouth and I must scream... #14
I really like anise flavored stuff, not a huge fan of black licorice, like the candy.

But like, I don't know. Lots of people are not a fan of it.