Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:41:02 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: First times watching classic movies  (Read 9237 times)

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
First times watching classic movies
A friend of mine just watched Psycho last night for the first time. He knew nothing about the film going in. I provided him with the story that was provided to audiences when it was released, which is that the film is a heist film created as a vehicle to allow Janet Leigh to showcase her acting talents. He knew that there was a twist in the film, but no idea what it was, and that made his viewing experience quite a bit better.

What other classic movies have twists that are vastly improved by having historical context and benefit from the viewer not knowing certain things going in, either due to twists or genre defiance?

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked
First times watching classic movies #1
Citizen Kane

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
First times watching classic movies #2
Alien works better if you're not familiar with the look of the alien, but thanks to being a defining element of the cultural consciousness, everyone knows what a xenomorph looks like.

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked
First times watching classic movies #3
"Luke, I'm your father" would probably blow your mind if you didn't know about it beforehand

Nikaer Drekin

• One-Man Nic Cage Fan Club
  • Paid
  • "My burrito is a big deal"
First times watching classic movies #4
I wish I hadn't known the twist to From Dusk Till Dawn before seeing it, that would have been absolutely nuts to know nothing about beforehand.

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
First times watching classic movies #5
"Luke, I'm your father" would probably blow your mind if you didn't know about it beforehand
Smoking Crow, July 03, 2015, 09:48:43 pm
the usual suspects too

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat
First times watching classic movies #6
I haven't watched any classic movies really (except for the old disney animated stuff). Where should I start? I can post my reactions if anybody cares

Sun Smasher

• The one who consumes too much Whiskey
  • Paid
  • **** the sun
First times watching classic movies #7
Smoking Crow, July 03, 2015, 09:48:43 pm

And then decades later it would've been even more mind blowing if it turned out Obi-Wan was his father... just saying.

Nikaer Drekin

• One-Man Nic Cage Fan Club
  • Paid
  • "My burrito is a big deal"
First times watching classic movies #8
I haven't watched any classic movies really (except for the old disney animated stuff). Where should I start? I can post my reactions if anybody cares
A Meat, July 04, 2015, 09:58:03 am

I actually haven't seen Fight Club, but if you don't know the twist like I unfortunately do, go see it. Same with From Dusk Till Dawn, but avoiding spoilers for that may be tougher.

STOG

• im baby
  • Ridiculist
  • thiis is bernie bro, to me
First times watching classic movies #9
A Meat, July 04, 2015, 09:58:03 am

W.C. Fields' film "It's a Gift".

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat
First times watching classic movies #10
I've seen Fight Club, while suffering from fairly bad insomnia, which made for a weird experience. But other than that and the Back to the Future and Indiana Jones series I can't really say I've watched any of the major modern nerd cultural pillars either.

Geremy Tibbles

• Liquor Dragon
  • Paid
  • DIS GENERATION
First times watching classic movies #11
I'm not sure if it qualifies as classic, but Blade Runner blew my fucking mind. I can quite easily pinpoint it at the time in my life when I fell in love with cyberpunk. Everything about that movie is just amazing to me.

advancedclass

• Paid
First times watching classic movies #12
Upon reflection, I think the first time I saw Citizen Kane I was young enough not to be aware of the "twist" or conscious of its position in cinema history. I remember finding the increasing melancholy in the film strange and almost discomforting, because it wasn't the sort of narrative arc I grew up being exposed to, and being moved to tears a lot.

Even if there isn't a twist, in the film itself or built into its original marketing like with Psycho, it's a very cool experience to be with someone seeing a major cultural touchstone for the first time, or even something that's been forgotten and maybe wasn't groundbreaking, but because it wasn't, everyone isn't familiar with it via cultural osmosis.

Oh, I saw Metropolis with a live orchestra a number of years ago and knew nothing about it going in, which I think made it a better experience and more open to my finding meaning within it than if I had been aware of the political leanings of the screenplay's writer beforehand.

A Meat, go watch M.

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked
First times watching classic movies #13
I'm not sure if it qualifies as classic, but Blade Runner blew my fucking mind. I can quite easily pinpoint it at the time in my life when I fell in love with cyberpunk. Everything about that movie is just amazing to me.
Geremy Tibbles, July 04, 2015, 05:20:08 pm

You must be so happy

You can walk outside and see a cyberpunk dystopia

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
First times watching classic movies #14
Geremy Tibbles, July 04, 2015, 05:20:08 pm

You must be so happy

You can walk outside and see a cyberpunk dystopia
Smoking Crow, July 04, 2015, 07:40:01 pm

it's a complex series of emotions but happy is one of them sometimes yes