Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:10:23 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Our favorite bad movies.  (Read 46802 times)

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
Our favorite bad movies. #120
If you like cannibalism, subway trains, and Donald Pleasance, well I have the film for you I tell you what:

CormansInferno

• Forsooth! A ravenous ghoul approaches!
  • Paid
Our favorite bad movies. #121
These aren't so much bad as sleazy, greasy grindhouse movies, but they deserve mention here. One of the benefits of living in LA is having access to strange little pockets of film curation everywhere, and at least three venues that provide top-shelf horror and exploitation screenings on a regular basis: the Tarantino-curated New Beverly Cinema, the art/trash mecca The Cinefamily, and the recently-opened Spielberg Theatre inside the historic Grauman's Egyptian. The latter of the three has a naturesploitation series running all summer called Camp Void [warning: VIOLENCE]

NSFW content. Click to show.

Camp Void had its inaugural screening last night, an animal attack double feature that kicked off with a 70th birthday celebration for an ex-Manson Girl who comes to every horror and exploitation movie the Egyptian shows, and then some vintage Jaws rip-off trailers before the main event:

Day of the Animals is your standard "humans vs. crazy animals" story bumped up a few notches by a Lola Schifrin score, above-average cinematography, some surprisingly graphic onscreen violence for its PG rating, and a bare-chested Leslie Nielsen inhaling scenery with force of a Midwestern supertornado as a leering ad exec driven insane by UV rays:

Wild Beasts (1984), on the other hand, is the last feature film by Franco Prosperi, the man who helped give the world the Mondo Cane movies and the astoundingly tasteless antebellum mockumentary Goodbye Uncle Tom. Wild Beasts is somewhat toned down in gore and outrageousness from his more well-known work, but there's plenty of garbage here for the trash-hungry. An entire zoo is driven insane by industrial runoff and escapes to terrorize the city of Frankfurt, including elephants rampaging through an airport runway and a cheetah running down a convertible. There's also a cringe-inducing scene where about 30 live rats get immolated with a flamethrower (knowing Prosperi he probably would've killed an elephant or tiger onscreen if he could've afforded it).

Achilles' Heelies

CormansInferno

• Forsooth! A ravenous ghoul approaches!
  • Paid
Our favorite bad movies. #122
Recently saw a completely bizarre mid-80's Japanese movie that my favorite local theater made their own subtitles for called Helly Wood. I think this is what happens when a heterosexual man from another country tries remaking the Rocky Horror Picture Show (see also: The Apple). The legendary Japanese character the Peach Boy descends from outer space and joins a rock band with an evil space emperor, a torture-loving Frankenstein, a watermelon man, and a mummy. A group of schoolgirl detectives and Peach Boy's adopted father attempt to save him. That is about as coherent as the plot gets, and the rest is a nonstop barrage of brain-melting goofiness.
Not a valid vimeo URL

Yavuz

• Fave: Heavily Excessive Prekumquatxop
  • Paid
  • whats up you cem loving fuck
Our favorite bad movies. #123
I feel like I should be the one to post this: They've found an original print of Dünyayı Kurtaran Adam, aka The Man Who Saved the World, aka Turkish Star Wars. There are currently no plans to release it commercially, unfortunately. But still.
Goose Goose Honk At Me Now MythosSanta

Yavuz

• Fave: Heavily Excessive Prekumquatxop
  • Paid
  • whats up you cem loving fuck
Our favorite bad movies. #124
I know it's a double post, but my Facebook account reminded me about Enthiran (which translates as Robot). It's a Tamil science fiction film about a scientist who creates a robot (who looks just like him, and is played by the same actor) that subsequently falls in love with the scientist's girlfriend and then goes psycho (the movie runs more than two and a half hours, so it's kind of a long story). The whole thing is amazing from start to finish. It features, among other things:

- A robot talking to mosquitoes
- A music number that inexplicably involves Machu Picchu
- A hundred robots forming a giant ball of robots to roll around and beat the shit out of the Indian police
- A climax that involves a gratifyingly improbable amount of death and destruction

(This says it's a trailer, but really it's just the first few minutes.)

ETA: THERE IS A SEQUEL COMING OUT NEXT YEAR
Gyro
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 02:40:56 pm by Yavuz Sultan Selim »

Eider Duck

• Eats nothing but mussels
  • Paid
  • And has weird corkscrew genitals
Our favorite bad movies. #125
I have a soft spot for silly action movies. My personal favourite might be Double Team, starring Jean-Claude van Damme. There's no consistant tone whatsoever. Does it want to be a buddy cop comedy? Or a Prisoner rip off? FUCK IT LETS SMASH THEM TOGETHER. It's a ridiculous film and I love every minute of it. And my God, the villain's death is my favourite death in cinema. He has to choose between being blown up by a landmine or being mauled by a tiger. It has to be seen to be believed.

I also love Equilibrium. It's like someone read 1984 and went "I love this book, but it needs gun karate to REALLY get the point across."

SuperTrainStationH

• Paid
Our favorite bad movies. #126
Super Mario Bros: The Movie.

I actually didn't mind the radical reinterpretation as a kid. Though the scene in the night club were Mario and Luigi are wearing suits in the dance club that for some reason aren't red and green was a sorely missed opportunity.

The whole concept of the movie was probably heavily informed by the live actions segments of the Super Mario Bros Super Show, which modern audiences might overlook, it doesn't make the film itself better, but it gives some context as to why the made some of the choices they did. Plus, the most recent Mario game was Super Mario World which took place in "Dinosaur Land", which i guess the writers who were unfamiliar with the games saw in their notes and they went apeshit with it, allowing the dinosaur concept to overrun the entire film, plus it was the early 90's and dinosaurs were popular with kids.

Take away the SMB license, and what's left is a signature 90's action movie for kids with an cheesy acting and an overactive imagination executed to a high level of proficiency with excellent setbuilding that really convincingly portrays the fantasy world, even if that fantasy world has jack shit to do with the actual Super Mario Bros.
NutshellGulag

SuperTrainStationH

• Paid
Our favorite bad movies. #127
I have a soft spot for silly action movies. My personal favourite might be Double Team, starring Jean-Claude van Damme. There's no consistant tone whatsoever. Does it want to be a buddy cop comedy? Or a Prisoner rip off? FUCK IT LETS SMASH THEM TOGETHER. It's a ridiculous film and I love every minute of it. And my God, the villain's death is my favourite death in cinema. He has to choose between being blown up by a landmine or being mauled by a tiger. It has to be seen to be believed.

I also love Equilibrium. It's like someone read 1984 and went "I love this book, but it needs gun karate to REALLY get the point across."
Eider Duck, January 12, 2017, 04:16:48 pm

I saw that movie in theaters. It was the first time I became aware of product placement in movies.

Highlights include someone building an elaborate contraption to disarm a bomb using Coke cans, and successfully hiding behind a Coke machine to survive a nuclear bomb blast.

dijon du jour

• your zesty bud
  • Paid
  • oh gosh
Our favorite bad movies. #128

I actually didn't mind the radical reinterpretation as a kid. Though the scene in the night club were Mario and Luigi are wearing suits in the dance club that for some reason aren't red and green was a sorely missed opportunity.

The whole concept of the movie was probably heavily informed by the live actions segments of the Super Mario Bros Super Show, which modern audiences might overlook, it doesn't make the film itself better, but it gives some context as to why the made some of the choices they did. Plus, the most recent Mario game was Super Mario World which took place in "Dinosaur Land", which i guess the writers who were unfamiliar with the games saw in their notes and they went apeshit with it, allowing the dinosaur concept to overrun the entire film, plus it was the early 90's and dinosaurs were popular with kids.

Take away the SMB license, and what's left is a signature 90's action movie for kids with an cheesy acting and an overactive imagination executed to a high level of proficiency with excellent setbuilding that really convincingly portrays the fantasy world, even if that fantasy world has jack shit to do with the actual Super Mario Bros.
SuperTrainStationH, January 19, 2017, 01:45:12 pm

Besides being a great, goofy time, I appreciate the Super Mario Bros movie for being the perfect complement to the weird movie tie-in games of the NES and SNES era that have only the most vague resemblance to the thing they're supposed to be adapting.
SuperTrainStationH

Vinny Possum

• Garfield's cosmic love katana.
  • Paid
Our favorite bad movies. #129
Calling it in advance that the Power Rangers movie is gonna be here for me. It looks gloriously, kickass stupid and I can't wait.

See y'all in March.

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
  • My cat? Let me tell you about my cat...
Our favorite bad movies. #130

SuperTrainStationH, January 19, 2017, 01:45:12 pm

It's definitely one of my favorite bad movies. I love the dancing goomba elevator scene so much.
SuperTrainStationH

Eider Duck

• Eats nothing but mussels
  • Paid
  • And has weird corkscrew genitals
Our favorite bad movies. #131
I saw that movie in theaters. It was the first time I became aware of product placement in movies.

Highlights include someone building an elaborate contraption to disarm a bomb using Coke cans, and successfully hiding behind a Coke machine to survive a nuclear bomb blast.SuperTrainStationH, January 19, 2017, 01:47:02 pm

Haha, I forgot about the bomb disarming contraction; doesn't that scene occur after JCVD disguises himself as a busking hippie? Now I wanna watch it again.

Calling it in advance that the Power Rangers movie is gonna be here for me. It looks gloriously, kickass stupid and I can't wait.

See y'all in March.
温尼负鼠, January 20, 2017, 01:34:09 am

The trailer for that was shown when I went to see Rogue One. The instant the title came up, a ripple of laugher went through the people in the cinema. It looks as though it'll take itself so seriously.

Ragnarok Boobies

• 3viltiki's Spirit Animal
  • Paid
  • "Please insert proof of insurance into slot 'A'."
Our favorite bad movies. #132
Death Race 2000
Ernest Rides Again
Ice Pirates
Amazon Women On the Moon

I Liked That Joke

• Paid
  • Boy oh boy, there's a lot of good jokes out there!
Our favorite bad movies. #133
Someone may have brought it up already, and it's a little mainstream, but Birdemic: Shock and Terror is almost perfect. What I really love in bad movies (and internet posts) is sincerity, and the director believed so much in that terrible movie. He thought (and still thinks, to my knowledge) that he is a genius, and that his movie about bird GIFs is both Important and Intelligent.
Yavuz Eider Duck

Cleretic

• Russian Roulette Silver Medalist
  • Paid
Our favorite bad movies. #134
Death Race 2000
3viltiki, January 21, 2017, 12:14:20 pm
I'm gonna put the Jason Statham remake in here, specifically for the single moment that I remember. I'm all about single moments that let you know exactly the sort of thing you're dealing with, and the Death Race remake hits that when the people running the race turn the track on and it's fucking Mariokart. I remember the rest of the movie being pretty much 'grimdark Mariokart' too, but that reveal is just art.

There's also the weird case of the Ace Attorney movie, which after watching with my friends we described as a good movie that's appealing in the exact same way bad ones are. It's a live-action movie that goes very much out of its way to match the tone and styling of the games, so almost everyone has very wild animated gestures and very cartoonish costumes, and the tone shifts wildly because of course it does, but it's all deliberate and an absolute joy. And that one 'yes, this is what you think it is' moment is most definitely when Miles Edgeworth snaps his fingers and an absurdly huge holographic computer descends from the courtroom ceiling and said scene turns into an anime fight scene of the two attorneys throwing evidence at each other.