Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:08:29 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: All Right, Nobody Else Heart or Punch Me  (Read 59783 times)

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
All Right, Nobody Else Heart or Punch Me #30
I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.  One, at what number of posts will you run out of gun references?Delcat, April 04, 2013, 03:53:08 am

Post #762 will be a doozy, but after that I'd probably have to stretch to exotic whiz-bang cartridges or get contrived through the use of gun model numbers. We'll find out together!

Two, how is four-ten a reference to shotguns?  When I mentioned to my psych teacher that 4'10" was my height, he immediately dubbed me "Shotgun" and refused to call me anything else, and I certainly never complained, but I never got it, either.  I would have figured it was because I'm loud and blunt, but it was specifically the height thing.

"Four-ten" refers to .410 bore, a shotgun chambering. How "bore" in shotguns differs from "caliber" in firearms with rifled barrels is that the shotgun shell itself is measured from inner wall to inner wall (the space the shot occupies), but for rifles and pistols, only the bullet is measured. This is why a .410 bore shotgun shell fits flush into the cylinder of a .45 Long Colt revolver.

Here's the size of a .410 shell (left) next to a 12-gauge shell (right).

.410 is a popular chambering for youth shotguns and killing animal pests too small to warrant using anything more powerful. It's the second most popular shotgun chambering behind 12-gauge, with 20-gauge in third place.

Taurus and Smith & Wesson have both come out with retarded smoothbore revolvers for stupid people which chambers the .410 in a convenient flipper-baby package which serves no purpose other than being a dumb gun only a buttface would want to own.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:09:59 am by Isfahan »

Acierocolotl

• Romance Supremacist
  • Ridiculist
  • You will be romanticized
All Right, Nobody Else Heart or Punch Me #31

Taurus and Smith & Wesson have both come out with retarded smoothbore revolvers for stupid people which chambers the .410 in a convenient flipper-baby package which serves no purpose other than being a dumb gun only a buttface would want to own.

Isfahan, April 04, 2013, 07:08:23 am

Because "automatic shotgun".  Like I wonder how hard it would be to rechamber a MAC-10 to handle .410 shotgun shells, because that would be a completely idiotic gun that'd be a lot of fun to dismantle junk with at a backyard firing range.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
All Right, Nobody Else Heart or Punch Me #32
Because "automatic shotgun".  Like I wonder how hard it would be to rechamber a MAC-10 to handle .410 shotgun shells, because that would be a completely idiotic gun that'd be a lot of fun to dismantle junk with at a backyard firing range.Acierocolotl, April 04, 2013, 11:36:33 am

The MAC-10 design wouldn't lend itself at all to firing .410 shells. Rechambering one is the least of what would have to be done to make it work. Just sitting here thinking about it I've pretty much concluded you'd just have to design and build a gun from the ground up, and when you were done it wouldn't at all look like a MAC-10 anyway so perhaps it'd just be better considering an alternative gun which can sling .410 out of the box.

The Saiga 410 is semi-automatic, but that's still pretty good, right? Being a much larger round than the .45 ACP or 9mm that MAC-10s use, the clip capacity tops out at about 15, though. Pictured above is only a 5-round clip.

Geremy Tibbles

• Liquor Dragon
  • Paid
  • DIS GENERATION
All Right, Nobody Else Heart or Punch Me #33
Funny story.

Franchi built a fully automatic, clip fed .410 shotgun

Delcat

• Paid
All Right, Nobody Else Heart or Punch Me #34
Here's the size of a .410 shell (left) next to a 12-gauge shell (right).

Isfahan, April 04, 2013, 07:08:23 am

Gosh, I feel a little inferior now.

Thank you, that was very informative!  I'm also glad he didn't start calling me Squirrel Gun now.

Chaz

• is tuning the tiny timpanis
  • Paid
  • I'm being doppelgangstalked
All Right, Nobody Else Heart or Punch Me #35

Just leaving this here as a testament.

Acierocolotl

• Romance Supremacist
  • Ridiculist
  • You will be romanticized
All Right, Nobody Else Heart or Punch Me #36
What's a 669, then?  Is that buttfuckin' a couple in mutual oral?  Sounds kinda complicated and likely going to result in teeth crashing into genitals.

Are you implying Isfahan's into crashing incisors into another person's junk?

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
All Right, Nobody Else Heart or Punch Me #37
Dammit! He passed 666 without me noticing. I had my joke ready and all.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
All Right, Nobody Else Heart or Punch Me #38
What's a 669, then?Acierocolotl, April 17, 2013, 12:47:50 pm

It's when the third wheel follows you home and then tries to spoon you while you're workin' your magic.

Delcat

• Paid
All Right, Nobody Else Heart or Punch Me #39
What's a 669, then?  Is that buttfuckin' a couple in mutual oral?  Sounds kinda complicated and likely going to result in teeth crashing into genitals.

Are you implying Isfahan's into crashing incisors into another person's junk?
Acierocolotl, April 17, 2013, 12:47:50 pm

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
All Right, Nobody Else Heart or Punch Me #40
I don't think "669" is an acceptably accurate numerical representation of the Isosceles Lock. My description was much more fitting.

Delcat

• Paid
All Right, Nobody Else Heart or Punch Me #41
How often do you get to reference the Isosceles Lock, though?  Cut me some slack, man.

initially wrote "throw me a bone" but that sounded wrong

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
All Right, Nobody Else Heart or Punch Me #42
To commemorate me posting over seven hundred and sixty-two times in this forum, let's talk about the 7.62mm cartridge.

Now, as we all know, there are many, many rounds with a bullet diameter of 7.62mm. This also happens to be the measurement of .30 caliber! Without a doubt, the 7.62mm rounds ruled the 20th century, and only in the past 30 or so years has there even been much effort to move away from them in service rifles.

Towards the beginning of the 20th century, we had World War I. During this war the US service rifle was the M1903 Springfield. What did it shoot? Why, .30-06 Springfield ("thirty aught six"), measuring 7.62×63mm.

Here's a picture of .30-06 packed into an en-bloc clip for use in another famous rifle...

... the M1 Garand, the US service rifle in World War II. The Garand featured semi-automatic operation in a battlefield still dominated by bolt-action mechanisms.

The US wasn't the only country using 7.62-diameter bullets, though! The Soviets had the 7.62×54R for their standard-issue rifles. Remember, folks: the "R" stands for "rimmed," not "Russian." That's a common misconception, but now you know!

The 7.62×54R was the Soviet Union's full-size cartridge, used in the ubiquitous and dirt-cheap Mosin Nagant.

It's still in use today by the Russian Federation, most notably in the Dragunov marksman rifles...

...and the PKM medium machine gun.

The Soviets also developed the 7.62×25mm pistol round for use in their WWII-era TT-33 pistols.

There's the boolet, and here's the pistol:

The TT-33 design was widely copied throughout the USSR, with each child nation making their own versions of the same basic pattern.

What discussion of 7.62mm would be complete without the 7.62×39mm round? In the postwar period, the intermediate cartridge began to rule the day, and this round is more or less what ushered it in.

http://www.imperialarmaments.com/image/cache/data/isa76239-500x500.jpg

The 7.62×39mm feeds a couple of obscure guns you probably haven't heard of, like, oh I don't know, the SKS...

...and the AK-47 and its more-prevalent offshoot, the AKM.

And, just for Montrith, the Finnish Rk-62 also uses the 7.62×39mm!

But wait! There's also .30 Carbine!

This round didn't get too much love, but its dimensions are 7.62×33mm, and it was used in the M1 Carbine as an alternative to the Garand for soldiers who needed less weight and more mobility in the course of their duties.

The western nations had their own 7.62mm round, though! Here is the 7.62×51mm NATO cartridge, or simply 7.62 NATO. Its dimensions are identical to that of the civilian-market .308 Winchester round, but very minor differences in headspacing and powder charges mean that the .308 and the 7.62 NATO are not 100% interchangeable, though most modern guns which can shoot one can shoot the other with no problems.

Pretty much all you need to know about this one is that it was used in the FN FAL, legendary among militaries. It goes by the names "the first black rifle" for widespread use of polymer furniture and "the right arm of the free world" for its ubiquity in western-European nations and the countries which received arms shipments from them. The FAL is still in use in many former colonies of Great Britain and France.

The US made their own 7.62 NATO weapon, the M14. While it only had a short stint as a standard-issue rifle until the arrival of the 5.56mm and the M16, it does enjoy a place on the modern battlefield as a designated marksman rifle.

The 7.62 NATO was also used in the M60 light machine gun...

...and its modernized replacement, the M240B, commonly called the "Bravo" in the US military.

As a bonus I will close with an illustration of the dangers of home gunsmithing.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:33:05 am by Isfahan »

A Whirring Bone-White Gleech

• fact-lord
  • Paid
  • I was in first place, you whore!
All Right, Nobody Else Heart or Punch Me #43
... the M1 Garand, the US service rifle in World War II. The Garand featured semi-automatic operation in a battlefield still dominated by bolt-action mechanisms.
Isfahan, April 29, 2013, 05:08:01 pm

You might find this funny.  In high-school, I went to hang out at a friend of mine's house, and he started to very excitedly tell me that he'd just purchased a real, honest-to-God M1 Garand at a yard sale.  He showed me the rifle; when he handed it to me, I flipped it over, and low and behold there was a clip well on the bottom.  When I pointed this out, my friend didn't see what the problem was.

My friend was an idiot.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
All Right, Nobody Else Heart or Punch Me #44
So your friend bought a semi-automatic rifle? At high-school age? At a yard sale? I'm pretty sure two or three illegal things happened there. And he didn't even know what rifle he was buying? If the looks confused him then it must have been a Springfield Armory M1A or some other M14 clone, but those are expensive. There's also the possibility he bought a cheap but shitty Auto-Ordnance M1 Carbine, which shares the M1 designation but is radically different. Both of those guns use detachable clips.

I'll refer you to the photos I used in the previous post. Did the rifle look more like this...

...or like this?

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:34:24 am by Isfahan »