Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:03:19 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Weird local slang  (Read 22880 times)

Muffinator

• Paid
Weird local slang #60
"Yeah nah yeah" is a phrase that confuses the fuck out of tourists, because it means both yes and no, depending on where the emphasis is.

'Yeah nah yeah' means yes, and 'yeah nah yeah' means no.

'Chur' is 'thank you'. The North has a lot of Maori influence so you get stuff like

Haere mai: literally "come here" but it's a general way of getting attention.
Korero: talk
Koha: donation/gift
Tamariki: kids
Kai: food
ka pai: well done! awesome!

You won't often hear fluent 100% Maori in public but you'll often get it mixed in with English -- a common phrase is "haere mai, time for kai!"

'Sweet' means 'good'', and we use 'as' as an exclamation mark. Putting it all together: "Bro come over for kai." "Yeah nah yeah, sweet as, bro"

Blandest

• Paid
  • Help! Cannot see! Can only smell!
Weird local slang #61
"Yeah nah yeah" is a phrase that confuses the fuck out of tourists, because it means both yes and no, depending on where the emphasis is.

'Yeah nah yeah' means yes, and 'yeah nah yeah' means no.

'Chur' is 'thank you'. The North has a lot of Maori influence so you get stuff like

Haere mai: literally "come here" but it's a general way of getting attention.
Korero: talk
Koha: donation/gift
Tamariki: kids
Kai: food
ka pai: well done! awesome!

You won't often hear fluent 100% Maori in public but you'll often get it mixed in with English -- a common phrase is "haere mai, time for kai!"

'Sweet' means 'good'', and we use 'as' as an exclamation mark. Putting it all together: "Bro come over for kai." "Yeah nah yeah, sweet as, bro"
Muffinator, March 06, 2017, 04:26:51 pm

Also from what I can tell sex is actually slang for the number six.

Sorry

Muffinator

• Paid
Weird local slang #62
yeah nah bro you're thinking of Australia

we pronounce it sucks

Turbo Sexaphonic Vampire Bunnybread Jr.

• Vice President of the Sexy Vampire Club
  • Paid
  • James Horse, father of Naughty Horse
Weird local slang #63
In the very rural nook of North Carolina I was raised in, we called irritating or lazy people "pecker gnats"

" Dammit Ray, quit being such a pecker gnat and help me get this tractor off the chicken coop before the coyotes show."

Dirk Dammit

• Paid
Weird local slang #64
I'm pretty sure the most Philadelphian thing you can possibly say is "Water Ice" pronounced "wooderice"

It's our word for Italian ice.

Liatai

• Made of tea, science, art, and dragons.
  • Paid
  • Warning: uses far too many smileys.
Weird local slang #65
I confused and concerned an out-of-town friend when I said I was gonna grab a nosh earlier today.

I grew up in an area with a very healthy Jewish population. I guess Yiddish isn't as ubiquitous as I believed. :B

(nosh (n,v) - snack, a light meal)

Shell Game

• Showrunner of Extra Credit
  • Paid
  • Rex Morgan knows about Pretty Cure. Look it up.
Weird local slang #66
This is driving me nuts because I can't think of anything unique to western Oregon. The only person who could come up with anything when I asked could only come up with "spendy," which I really didn't think was that unique but I obviously don't know much about our dialect.
In central and eastern Oregon ground squirrels are called 'rats'.
cashmir sweaters, December 31, 2016, 06:14:58 pm
I didn't even know THAT, though I guess you guys have gray squirrels out there. They are pretty rat-like.