Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:09:18 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Weird local slang  (Read 22883 times)

Fatty Bo Batty

• Adult Baby Protective Services Officer
  • Paid
  • Is good to make a posting
Weird local slang #30
In Northern Colorado, dude, man, and guys are all gender/age/race neutral. Also boy/girl is used far more often than men/women.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 09:32:17 am by FattyBoBatty »

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
Weird local slang #31
I lived in southern California for about seven years and the list of things that "dude" refers to includes your shoes, the weather, your car, the burger you're eating, and ennui.
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Bodark Goose Goose Honk At Me Now Liatai chai tea latte Ragnarok Boobies nuffkins, of all people, Nifty Nif Malten junior associate faguar

Fatty Bo Batty

• Adult Baby Protective Services Officer
  • Paid
  • Is good to make a posting
Weird local slang #32
I lived in southern California for about seven years and the list of things that "dude" refers to includes your shoes, the weather, your car, the burger you're eating, and ennui.
EYE OF ZA, October 04, 2016, 10:50:53 am

Yeah, we get a lot of that since Californians have been flocking here for years.
junior associate faguar

Acierocolotl

• Romance Supremacist
  • Ridiculist
  • You will be romanticized
Weird local slang #33
Hello folks!

Let me apologize in advance, I'm on a strictly English keyboard so I can't bang in the accents as required.  Anyway!  What Quark-Antiquark was hinting at, but never really got into, was les sacres.  It's a very unique form of cussing unique to la belle province, where all the cusswords are items pertaining to Catholic faith and ritual.  There's a lot of different words, though they all broadly translate to "fuckin'!" and you can organize them however you want, making for individualized, very personal forms of extremely (literally!) profane swearing.

"Calice d'ostie de bapteme d'un maudit chien-sale" I'd probably translate as "Goddamn motherfuckin' dog!" but is, literally, "Chalice of a host of a baptismal font of a damned dirty dog,"  Ah, Quebec!  (There are, as an aside, many, many 'gosh darn!' equivalents of course.)

And, similar to Montrith's anecdote, my mother was fond of saying, "Avance, Hercule," as a sort of joke and a commentary on redundant instructions.  As her explanation went, this was an instruction you'd give your horse were it named Hercules.  "Forward!"  However, "Hercule" sounds very similar to "recule", or "reverse".  So you'd be giving contradictory orders to your horse unless you enunciated clearly.  Mom jokes!
Goose Goose Honk At Me Now Liatai chai tea latte Sherman Tank Ragnarok Boobies Eider Duck Nifty Nif cyclopeantrash Ashto QueenSyreen Yavuz

cashmir sweaters

• Paid
Weird local slang #34
In central and eastern Oregon ground squirrels are called 'rats'.
Bodark chai tea latte

Yavuz

• Fave: Heavily Excessive Prekumquatxop
  • Paid
  • whats up you cem loving fuck
Weird local slang #35
In central and eastern Oregon ground squirrels are called 'rats'.
cashmir sweaters, December 31, 2016, 06:14:58 pm

When I went to Philmont Scout Ranch as a young Boy Scout, we called the chipmunks/ground squirrels "minibears".

Corn Syrup

• Paid
  • hit it and quidditch
Weird local slang #36
In North Carolina, a nickname for groundhogs is "whistlepigs". This knowledge has led me to make questionable whiskey purchases.
I Liked That Joke Turbo Sexaphonic Vampire Bunnybread Jr.

Macho Masc Sangy Savage

• Beep Beep Imma Dwarf Jeep
  • Paid
  • 🍕 Pizza Philosopher 🍕
Weird local slang #37
Maybe not slang, but the habit of communicating distance via time. The store isn't 10 miles away, its 15 minutes away.

Yoopers and trolls - slang for people who live in the upper and lower peninsulas, respectively.

Blandest

• Paid
  • Help! Cannot see! Can only smell!
Weird local slang #38
In Sydney the single seats on trains are called Nigel seats (as in Nigel no friends) whereas where I am living now in Sussex they are called Larry seats (as in Larry Lonesome).
Corn Syrup chai tea latte

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
Weird local slang #39
In Sydney the single seats on trains are called Nigel seats (as in Nigel no friends) whereas where I am living now in Sussex they are called Larry seats (as in Larry Lonesome).
Blandest, January 02, 2017, 01:46:11 am
Perhaps some day we'll read the triumphant story of the No Friends-Lonesome wedding.

Ambious

Weird local slang #40
Getting a lift from someone (in a car) is called "getting a tramp" in Israel

izzy

• Dealer of Illegal Hedgehog Substances
  • Paid
Weird local slang #41
At my old college, we used to call messing around on the internet as "squidding".

"You doing anything tonight?"
"Nah. Probably just gonna stay in and squid."
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

MilfParade

• Paid
  • Like an old lady, but younger
Weird local slang #42
In Philly, and we really do call most anything "jawn." i.e. "Hand me that jawn."

See also Rap Snacks, which are also jawns, and which I know exist outside the city but I have not seen.

Personally, otherwise, I don't speak with a philly accent, but there is a very specific way you would say "hoagie" if you were from here, and it's basically "heauxgie."

Subs don't exist.
Positronic

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
Weird local slang #43
In Philly, and we really do call most anything "jawn." i.e. "Hand me that jawn."

See also Rap Snacks, which are also jawns, and which I know exist outside the city but I have not seen.

Personally, otherwise, I don't speak with a philly accent, but there is a very specific way you would say "hoagie" if you were from here, and it's basically "heauxgie."

Subs don't exist.
MilfParade, January 14, 2017, 01:02:41 am

man your navy must SUCK
Ragnarok Boobies Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

nuffkins, of all people,

• Paid
  • much ado about nuffkins
Weird local slang #44

Subs don't exist.
MilfParade, January 14, 2017, 01:02:41 am

man your navy must SUCK
jack chick, January 14, 2017, 06:25:12 pm

Don't be so negative, Jack.

That said, it must be weird living in a city that dominant.
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop